Talk

Advanced search

To be terrified of no deal Brexit

(656 Posts)
elprup Mon 29-Jul-19 22:29:02

Having just watched the headlines, it really does seem that Boris is hellbent on taking us out with no deal. The fact he’s thrown down the gauntlet to the EU stating that he won’t come to the table unless they drop the backstop - well of course they’re not going to do that, and Boris won’t back down, so we will be leaving with no deal.

What do you think will be the repercussions of this? I’m terrified I’m going to lose my job and my home. If I’m worried then I can’t imagine what people reliant on various meds are going through.

I think I might stop watching the news as it just makes me anxious.

CherryPavlova Tue 30-Jul-19 06:48:25

Janista I currently have five staff seconded into DH to plan for Brexit.

There are already significant drug shortages and that is increasing. Not rare drugs but things like the pull. Repeat prescriptions are already being affected in some areas.
There is a predicted shortage of water treatment chemicals, so our drinking water is likely to be affected.
Prices are likely to rise significantly. That will affect individuals but also public services.
The military are being prepared for civil unrest.
All might indeed be well but come a crash out without a deal then International trading laws will affect our position with tariffs being imposed immediately on goods between UK and Europe.
People will lose their jobs.

frasersmummy Tue 30-Jul-19 06:49:19

I think Boris is playing a game of who will blink first. He's looking the eu in the eye and saying unless i get what i want i will drive this bus off a cliff into the unknown of no deal. Look got my foot on the accelerator im ready to go.
Hes waitiing for the eu to say hold on a min let's talk about this
When TM tried that they laughed and said aye right... But boris has a crazy glint in his eye that makes the eu think he might just!
I think the eu. will blink 1st and there will be a deal of some kind

If not i really can't see people dying because of lack of meds. Goods and sevices will still flow in and out of europe

Businesses will not all close their doors and make everyone redundant. Things will tick along. There will be price increases so families on the breadline will suffer. Hopefully Boris has a plan to help those families

Jocasta2018 Tue 30-Jul-19 06:58:43

I am very concerned. All my local pharmacies have signs up saying there are shortages of NHS medication which doesn't bode well for my future. EU doctors I know have left the UK as they were fed up of the abuse.

And all for some bollocks about sovereignty!

Our currency is sterling not euro. We don't belong to Schengen. We get a rebate on our contributions when a lot of other EU countries don't. How else did we negotiate all of that without sovereignty??!?

And yes I've shut up a few Brexiteers with that argument. Not told my partner's family to go fuck themselves yet but if the problems getting my medication continue, I probably will.

SaskiaRembrandt Tue 30-Jul-19 06:59:30

He is doing what May failed to do and honour the Referendum results.

Is he? Which referendum was this? I don't recall one with a 'leave with no deal' option. The one I voted in had the options of leave or remain. Remain is pretty self-explanatory, but leave could mean lots of things, none of which were defined.

elprup Tue 30-Jul-19 07:22:58

Luckily we sold our home and are renting.

I don’t want to sell my home - and renting would cost me the same (if not more) than my mortgage!

I get that Boris is trying to force the EU into blinking first. But to gamble the future of the whole country on what is effectively a game of chicken?!!

cherin Tue 30-Jul-19 07:31:57

I agree, Frasemummy, but am not sure the EU will blink first, because it’d be sending a self-destructing signal to the rest of the world. They can navigate through the storm better than the U.K. in case of no deal. They would prop up the Irish economy, at least (how to solve the GFA issue is a totally different question, and I really haven’t got a clue. At least, not one that doesn’t require norther Ireland to leave the U.K.)
Either way, I see BJ as an irresponsible egomaniac who’s places all of his chances of success on a mad bet, and I despise him for this.

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 07:39:06

@Janista easy for you to say from Australia.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 07:42:30

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before

wtaf?

you have no understanding of the situation at all.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 07:43:59

If not i really can't see people dying because of lack of meds. Goods and sevices will still flow in and out of europe

again, no understanding at all. clueless.

Frankiestein402 Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:04

'playing a game', 'hopefully Boris has a plan'
It's not a game and hope is not a strategy - it is the future of my country, no-one is now saying that the short and medium term future is anything but grim.

So after a decade of austerity and three years of chaotic stagnation, we are now to expect something worse for at least another decade. What kind of masochist do you have to be to sign up for that?

Cherrypi Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:26

The crime rate is bound to go up as unemployment rises. I would love to see the details of the best case scenario of no deal. Radio 4 said we'd be in the no deal state for at least four to five years. What do we make that people will wait four or five years for without going to another cheaper/easier supplier?

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:51

No one is going to die as a result of food or medicine not getting through.

This is the most extreme, hysterical misinformation and total nonsense.

It's Brexit, not the siege of Stalingrad.

Even if we didn't trade with others and were only relying on the the EU for food and medicine ( which is nonsense anyway) if they were to behave like that to a leaving member - is it really a club we would ever in a million years want to belong to?

I've never read such rubbish than the nonsense about lack of food,drugs, access to bank accounts - these are scare stories all without any foundation.

NoWordForFluffy Tue 30-Jul-19 07:53:25

The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, has TOLD the nation that he fears people will die if there's a no deal exit. It is exceptional for a minister to say such a thing and he certainly wouldn't have said it were it not something he was genuinely concerned about. So anyone spouting shit like 'there won't be medication shortages' is simply deluded and, IMO, not very bright, as they're ignoring evidence already in the public domain.

TeaKettleBell Tue 30-Jul-19 07:54:10

Ah Janista, yes they will.
Insulin dependant diabetics.
Note the pound has already plummeted in value and they are talking parity with the dollar.
This is insane.

Peregrina Tue 30-Jul-19 07:58:52

My DB relies on medication which is all made in various EU countries. It could be made in this country, but the factories to make the various medications won't be built before October and the production lines won't be up and running for a while after the factories are build.

It's very easy to be glib from the other side of the world Janista - sell up and come back and then you can tell us.

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 08:03:01

The pound will tank just like it did after the referendum result. It will rally again. People should stop obsessing and catastrophising all the time. You never hear a word when it rallies!

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 08:03:55

So you can come back @Janista . Will you?

Mistigri Tue 30-Jul-19 08:09:36

It really gets my goat to be lectured about the greatness of Brexit by an immigrant living in Australia.

If he/she was a patriot they'd be here helping to deliver a glorious no-deal Brexit.

LizzieSiddal Tue 30-Jul-19 08:10:51

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before

The naivety here is astounding. Have you actually listened to the news?!
Many thousands have already lost their jobs in the car industry and in the City. Many thousands more will lose their jobs, Eg Vauxhall said yesterday they will move all their business out if the UK if we have no deal.

MustardScreams Tue 30-Jul-19 08:12:57

@Janista you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. Repeating the words ‘catastrophising’ and ‘obsessed’ does not make you an expert. It makes you look ridiculous.

You don’t even live in the UK, so your across the world observations are pointless. Go find something better to do.

daisypond Tue 30-Jul-19 08:13:47

My DD has a job offer in Europe, starting in late autumn. It is provisional on being an EU citizen. She has studied for years to do this job. She only has British citizenship.

TibetanCherryTree Tue 30-Jul-19 08:14:02

I'd like to see some real figures about how many Brits are working in the EU versus before freedom of movement. That is, excluding all the pensioners living on the Costa Del Sol in their English speaking enclaves. I worked in Greece and Spain in the late 80's and my company hd no problem getting me a permit. Also, the opportunities for Brits are much better in Asia and English speaking countries like Australia and the USA.

I don't believe it is scaremongering actually. I came back to live here 4 years ago and one of the first things I noticed is that Brits have no light in their eyes any more. There is no passion, guts or motivation. It has all been sucked out of us by successive governments, the media and cuts. Its a constant drip feed of negativity day in day out. The attitude of Brits is completely different to what it used to be. I believe that leaving the EU is the best thing for our country in the long run but I believe it takes most people massively out of their comfort zone and induces an anxiety in us that triggers Stockholm syndrome.

Nothingcomesforfree Tue 30-Jul-19 08:18:49

Janista - will do no good. You can’t discuss things with people who argument is personal attack ( glib, clueless, not very bright).

Peregrina Tue 30-Jul-19 08:19:27

I believe that leaving the EU is the best thing for our country in the long run but I believe it takes most people massively out of their comfort zone and induces an anxiety in us that triggers Stockholm syndrome.

Since none of the Leavers have shown us a road ahead, and many of us can only see a cliff edge then yes, we are likely to be out of our comfort zone! We might find that there is a small track we can scramble down, and it's fine and sunny on the beach below, but alternatively we might find we are jumping off Beachy Head.

TheBigBallOfOil Tue 30-Jul-19 08:20:34

That’s just subjective rambling though isn’t it. Why on earth would you think that’s persuasive?
Janista, as I understand it, government planning has already identified potential supply issues and shortages affecting medicines as well as other areas. Please explain, in detail, why the government is wrong about that. Do feel free to show your working, if that isn’t too grandiose a term for what happens between your ears.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »