Talk

Advanced search

To be terrified of no deal Brexit

(656 Posts)
elprup Mon 29-Jul-19 22:29:02

Having just watched the headlines, it really does seem that Boris is hellbent on taking us out with no deal. The fact he’s thrown down the gauntlet to the EU stating that he won’t come to the table unless they drop the backstop - well of course they’re not going to do that, and Boris won’t back down, so we will be leaving with no deal.

What do you think will be the repercussions of this? I’m terrified I’m going to lose my job and my home. If I’m worried then I can’t imagine what people reliant on various meds are going through.

I think I might stop watching the news as it just makes me anxious.

Miljah Mon 29-Jul-19 22:34:27

Sadly, it is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I suspect, strongly, that given not many years ahead, 'we' (Leavers) will look back on the collective madness we got sucked into with the same incredulity we view our Diana hysteria.

What were we thinking? What are we thinking?

Peregrina Mon 29-Jul-19 23:11:26

I am very grateful for the long list someone posted on the prepping thread. I intend to print it off and start stocking up seriously. Fortunately I can afford to do that. I am also glad that neither me nor DH is dependent on medication - I wish I could say that for DB, BIL and MIL.

elprup Mon 29-Jul-19 23:14:06

I miss TM - when we were stuck in limbo with what seemed like no prospect of getting out. At least we were still in! But it’s really going to happen now, isn’t it?

tobee Mon 29-Jul-19 23:14:09

Can you do a link please @Peregrina?

LizzieSiddal Mon 29-Jul-19 23:18:43

It’s a cluster fuck of epic proportions.

I’m so angry that we’ve been put into this situation by lying politicians one of them is now PM, and most of the others are in his cabinet. How the heck did this happen?

NoWordForFluffy Mon 29-Jul-19 23:23:26

@tobee, see this thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3531338-show-me-your-brexit-stockpiles-cont

Peregrina Mon 29-Jul-19 23:27:07

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3649892-the-brexit-cupboard-share-your-tips

You will need to scroll down a bit, for a very comprehensive list.

lovelyupnorth Mon 29-Jul-19 23:33:25

Luckily we sold our home and are renting. Jobs wise we lost a lot of work straight after the referendum and have changed direction to one which may thrive in the cluster fuck that’s coming. Our other business has no debt and could close down change etc.

Personally I’d like to leave and move elsewhere in the world by my OH less so.

Our DC already have dual-nationality if they need it.

Did contemplate staying in Canada where we are on holiday 😂😂.

I think it’s batten down the hatches time, cut spending and build our cash reserve further.

How anyone thinks Brexit is a good idea is beyond me. At least my Brexit voting in-laws have now seen sense when they’ve seen the GDs change nationality to keep the advantages of being European.

tobee Mon 29-Jul-19 23:52:34

Thank you @NoWordForFluffy and @Peregrina. A public service announcement grin

TooHotToHandld Tue 30-Jul-19 00:16:17

I'm insulin dependent and very worried. All my insulin, test strips, insulin pump and supplies are from Europe, so death is a very real prospect for me (and other type 1 diabetics) 😞

raskolnikova Tue 30-Jul-19 00:31:31

I've been living in Europe, but had to return to the UK recently (but really didn't want to). I want to go back again in the future, but it looks like I'm going to lose all my rights with a no deal Brexit, and in return gain... nothing confused

And what really upsets me is that it' my own country taking my rights away, not the one where I was living sad. Like you I have to avoid watching the news for my own sanity.

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 00:42:24

I can't wait for a no deal Brexit.

There is so much handwringing and scaremongering going on at the moment.

People do not need to be scared of dying or prevented from living and working in European countries if they wish.

hadthesnip2 Tue 30-Jul-19 01:03:42

Well said @Janista.

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before.

raskolnikova Tue 30-Jul-19 01:24:00

People could well still live and work in the EU, but the process will be more difficult, bureaucratic and expensive than it is now. And for what? What do UK citizens in the EU, or EU citizens in the UK, or UK citizens in the UK, have to gain from a no deal Brexit exactly?

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 03:16:42

People act like no one travelled or worked abroad or managed before we were in the EU. It's laughable.

Stop moaning and catastrophising and live your life.

No one's opportunities are being spoilt.

The EU does not exist to help the individual.

Tullow2016 Tue 30-Jul-19 03:24:19

Both sides, leave and remain, have exaggerated their arguments. No deal is not the best outcome, but at same time I can't convince myself that millions will die in the process due to lack of; food, water, medications, etc. The UK was meant to plunge into recession just by voting to leave in 2016, but it never happened.

Likewise I can't convince myself that UK will be hugely better off. At present UK is 5th largest economy of the World (hard to believe, but that is the figure). Countries like; USA, China, Japan and soon India will always have bigger economies due to their populations. So even if UK can pass both France and German economy in future they would still be in 5th place in the World which is where we are now.

Even JRM has estimated that it will take 50 years. Imagine that many on MN will not be around then?

lovelyupnorth Tue 30-Jul-19 03:39:23

As leave cost my company over £100k per year I beg to differ.

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 06:07:08

Janista lives in Australia so none of this will directly affect them.

timeforakinderworld Tue 30-Jul-19 06:24:14

People act like no one travelled or worked abroad or managed before we were in the EU. It's laughable.
But we aren't going back to the 70s . The world is different now. It's not easy or often possible to move to another country to work. As someone who lives in Australia you should know that.

timeforakinderworld Tue 30-Jul-19 06:26:53

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before.
But people will lose their jobs. This isn't even controversial. We know people will lose their jobs.

Bookworm4 Tue 30-Jul-19 06:28:29

Really people are ‘terrified’? I don’t think civilisation is coming to an end🙄

Peregrina Tue 30-Jul-19 06:29:51

Janista lives in Australia so none of this will directly affect them.

Always the way!

MammaBot211 Tue 30-Jul-19 06:30:54

Well what did you think was going yo happen? He is doing what May failed to do and honour the Referendum results.

TheBigBallOfOil Tue 30-Jul-19 06:37:56

Janista is not thinking this through. Yes, these things happened before we were in the EU. But then we joined, and spent 40 years building our arrangements on the basis of membership. So things changed and dependencies were introduced. That is the problem. We are not going to be magically transported to a position as if we’d never been members.
Honestly!

CherryPavlova Tue 30-Jul-19 06:48:25

Janista I currently have five staff seconded into DH to plan for Brexit.

There are already significant drug shortages and that is increasing. Not rare drugs but things like the pull. Repeat prescriptions are already being affected in some areas.
There is a predicted shortage of water treatment chemicals, so our drinking water is likely to be affected.
Prices are likely to rise significantly. That will affect individuals but also public services.
The military are being prepared for civil unrest.
All might indeed be well but come a crash out without a deal then International trading laws will affect our position with tariffs being imposed immediately on goods between UK and Europe.
People will lose their jobs.

frasersmummy Tue 30-Jul-19 06:49:19

I think Boris is playing a game of who will blink first. He's looking the eu in the eye and saying unless i get what i want i will drive this bus off a cliff into the unknown of no deal. Look got my foot on the accelerator im ready to go.
Hes waitiing for the eu to say hold on a min let's talk about this
When TM tried that they laughed and said aye right... But boris has a crazy glint in his eye that makes the eu think he might just!
I think the eu. will blink 1st and there will be a deal of some kind

If not i really can't see people dying because of lack of meds. Goods and sevices will still flow in and out of europe

Businesses will not all close their doors and make everyone redundant. Things will tick along. There will be price increases so families on the breadline will suffer. Hopefully Boris has a plan to help those families

Jocasta2018 Tue 30-Jul-19 06:58:43

I am very concerned. All my local pharmacies have signs up saying there are shortages of NHS medication which doesn't bode well for my future. EU doctors I know have left the UK as they were fed up of the abuse.

And all for some bollocks about sovereignty!

Our currency is sterling not euro. We don't belong to Schengen. We get a rebate on our contributions when a lot of other EU countries don't. How else did we negotiate all of that without sovereignty??!?

And yes I've shut up a few Brexiteers with that argument. Not told my partner's family to go fuck themselves yet but if the problems getting my medication continue, I probably will.

SaskiaRembrandt Tue 30-Jul-19 06:59:30

He is doing what May failed to do and honour the Referendum results.

Is he? Which referendum was this? I don't recall one with a 'leave with no deal' option. The one I voted in had the options of leave or remain. Remain is pretty self-explanatory, but leave could mean lots of things, none of which were defined.

elprup Tue 30-Jul-19 07:22:58

Luckily we sold our home and are renting.

I don’t want to sell my home - and renting would cost me the same (if not more) than my mortgage!

I get that Boris is trying to force the EU into blinking first. But to gamble the future of the whole country on what is effectively a game of chicken?!!

cherin Tue 30-Jul-19 07:31:57

I agree, Frasemummy, but am not sure the EU will blink first, because it’d be sending a self-destructing signal to the rest of the world. They can navigate through the storm better than the U.K. in case of no deal. They would prop up the Irish economy, at least (how to solve the GFA issue is a totally different question, and I really haven’t got a clue. At least, not one that doesn’t require norther Ireland to leave the U.K.)
Either way, I see BJ as an irresponsible egomaniac who’s places all of his chances of success on a mad bet, and I despise him for this.

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 07:39:06

@Janista easy for you to say from Australia.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 07:42:30

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before

wtaf?

you have no understanding of the situation at all.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 07:43:59

If not i really can't see people dying because of lack of meds. Goods and sevices will still flow in and out of europe

again, no understanding at all. clueless.

Frankiestein402 Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:04

'playing a game', 'hopefully Boris has a plan'
It's not a game and hope is not a strategy - it is the future of my country, no-one is now saying that the short and medium term future is anything but grim.

So after a decade of austerity and three years of chaotic stagnation, we are now to expect something worse for at least another decade. What kind of masochist do you have to be to sign up for that?

Cherrypi Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:26

The crime rate is bound to go up as unemployment rises. I would love to see the details of the best case scenario of no deal. Radio 4 said we'd be in the no deal state for at least four to five years. What do we make that people will wait four or five years for without going to another cheaper/easier supplier?

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 07:48:51

No one is going to die as a result of food or medicine not getting through.

This is the most extreme, hysterical misinformation and total nonsense.

It's Brexit, not the siege of Stalingrad.

Even if we didn't trade with others and were only relying on the the EU for food and medicine ( which is nonsense anyway) if they were to behave like that to a leaving member - is it really a club we would ever in a million years want to belong to?

I've never read such rubbish than the nonsense about lack of food,drugs, access to bank accounts - these are scare stories all without any foundation.

NoWordForFluffy Tue 30-Jul-19 07:53:25

The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, has TOLD the nation that he fears people will die if there's a no deal exit. It is exceptional for a minister to say such a thing and he certainly wouldn't have said it were it not something he was genuinely concerned about. So anyone spouting shit like 'there won't be medication shortages' is simply deluded and, IMO, not very bright, as they're ignoring evidence already in the public domain.

TeaKettleBell Tue 30-Jul-19 07:54:10

Ah Janista, yes they will.
Insulin dependant diabetics.
Note the pound has already plummeted in value and they are talking parity with the dollar.
This is insane.

Peregrina Tue 30-Jul-19 07:58:52

My DB relies on medication which is all made in various EU countries. It could be made in this country, but the factories to make the various medications won't be built before October and the production lines won't be up and running for a while after the factories are build.

It's very easy to be glib from the other side of the world Janista - sell up and come back and then you can tell us.

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 08:03:01

The pound will tank just like it did after the referendum result. It will rally again. People should stop obsessing and catastrophising all the time. You never hear a word when it rallies!

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 08:03:55

So you can come back @Janista . Will you?

Mistigri Tue 30-Jul-19 08:09:36

It really gets my goat to be lectured about the greatness of Brexit by an immigrant living in Australia.

If he/she was a patriot they'd be here helping to deliver a glorious no-deal Brexit.

LizzieSiddal Tue 30-Jul-19 08:10:51

You wont lose your home or your job & things will carry on just as before

The naivety here is astounding. Have you actually listened to the news?!
Many thousands have already lost their jobs in the car industry and in the City. Many thousands more will lose their jobs, Eg Vauxhall said yesterday they will move all their business out if the UK if we have no deal.

MustardScreams Tue 30-Jul-19 08:12:57

@Janista you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. Repeating the words ‘catastrophising’ and ‘obsessed’ does not make you an expert. It makes you look ridiculous.

You don’t even live in the UK, so your across the world observations are pointless. Go find something better to do.

daisypond Tue 30-Jul-19 08:13:47

My DD has a job offer in Europe, starting in late autumn. It is provisional on being an EU citizen. She has studied for years to do this job. She only has British citizenship.

TibetanCherryTree Tue 30-Jul-19 08:14:02

I'd like to see some real figures about how many Brits are working in the EU versus before freedom of movement. That is, excluding all the pensioners living on the Costa Del Sol in their English speaking enclaves. I worked in Greece and Spain in the late 80's and my company hd no problem getting me a permit. Also, the opportunities for Brits are much better in Asia and English speaking countries like Australia and the USA.

I don't believe it is scaremongering actually. I came back to live here 4 years ago and one of the first things I noticed is that Brits have no light in their eyes any more. There is no passion, guts or motivation. It has all been sucked out of us by successive governments, the media and cuts. Its a constant drip feed of negativity day in day out. The attitude of Brits is completely different to what it used to be. I believe that leaving the EU is the best thing for our country in the long run but I believe it takes most people massively out of their comfort zone and induces an anxiety in us that triggers Stockholm syndrome.

Nothingcomesforfree Tue 30-Jul-19 08:18:49

Janista - will do no good. You can’t discuss things with people who argument is personal attack ( glib, clueless, not very bright).

Peregrina Tue 30-Jul-19 08:19:27

I believe that leaving the EU is the best thing for our country in the long run but I believe it takes most people massively out of their comfort zone and induces an anxiety in us that triggers Stockholm syndrome.

Since none of the Leavers have shown us a road ahead, and many of us can only see a cliff edge then yes, we are likely to be out of our comfort zone! We might find that there is a small track we can scramble down, and it's fine and sunny on the beach below, but alternatively we might find we are jumping off Beachy Head.

TheBigBallOfOil Tue 30-Jul-19 08:20:34

That’s just subjective rambling though isn’t it. Why on earth would you think that’s persuasive?
Janista, as I understand it, government planning has already identified potential supply issues and shortages affecting medicines as well as other areas. Please explain, in detail, why the government is wrong about that. Do feel free to show your working, if that isn’t too grandiose a term for what happens between your ears.

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 08:20:55

@Nothingcomesforfree , Janista is in Australia not Sunderland.

Tullow2016 Tue 30-Jul-19 08:29:16

Janista is in Australia not Sunderland

So Belli thinks everyone from Sunderland matches the description provided by Nothingcomesforfree?

Justaboutdone Tue 30-Jul-19 08:31:55

@Janista I am bloody terrified. I am angry and upset about my children’s futures. I hope no Deal is nowhere near as bad as most experts think it will be.

But guess what - I am in this for the long haul. I will not leave. I will try my best to help rebuild the country even though this act of self destruction is beyond stupid.

What about you?

fatandshattered89 Tue 30-Jul-19 08:33:48

And the award for the most clueless person on the thread = @Janista

Staggering. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Cloudtree Tue 30-Jul-19 08:43:43

Being terrified will not help you. The only thing you can do is to put yourself into the best possible position to weather any storm.

Get a good food stockpile sorted to supplement whatever else is available. This is sensible insurance and simply forward purchasing.

If you can plant edibles then do so.

Buy now anything that you might need in the 6 months after crashing out eg school uniform, shoes, winter coats.

Ensure you are in the best financial position you can be. We have cut back spending in recent months to make sure we have a decent buffer.

Repair/buy spare parts for anything you rely on. Our washing machine was on its last legs. We are also checking tyres etc, getting chimneys swept, getting loose roof tiles fixed.

If you are on essential meds and can possibly build up a small buffer by skipping doses and ordering repeats slightly early then do so.

I find putting in place practical measures is more productive than sitting worrying and the best thing is that these steps are only ever going to be helpful and useful to you even if everything turns out to be fine.

Cobblersandhogwash Tue 30-Jul-19 08:43:55

Cute.

I think we have to have no deal to kill the Brexshitter cult that has emerged.

Cobblersandhogwash Tue 30-Jul-19 08:46:59

@Cloudtree you sound very wise.

However, there are many who simply cannot make any cuts to their expenditures.

They are already at their limit.

What do they do?

It is utterly ludicrous that it has come to this.

A self inflicted state of emergency cheered on by the people. And for no real reason.

Astonishing.

Caucasianchalkcircles Tue 30-Jul-19 08:47:36

Day after 31st oct and we've left with no deal what happens ? All our trading agreements are null and void, take years to replace - what then ? Brexiteers like IDS have spouted about mini deals being done to cover things in the short term but they are only temporary... All I can suppose is that those most eager for a no deal are extremely well financially insulated.

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 08:48:43

I @Tullow2016 , I have family in Sunderland and their opinion counts. Even if it isn't the same as mine. Someone in Australia is just playing with ideas.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 30-Jul-19 08:50:12

* I think we have to have no deal to kill the Brexshitter cult that has emerged.*

Except it won't kill it.

So... today's headline is 'sterling slumps amid fears of a no-deal Brexit'.
This has real consequences- for instance, yet more British companies will get bought cheaply. Far from getting back control, we are losing ever more.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 08:52:24

every medical body from radiologists, oncologists, midwives, nurses etcsay a no deal brexit will be catastrophic for the NHS.

yeah but frasersmummy can't see people dying because of lack of meds so rest assured people it will be fine.

elprup Tue 30-Jul-19 08:52:34

I don't really have enough cash in the bank to be able to buy tons of supplies unfortunately. I live month to month essentially and don't have much in the way of savings.

Why is Boris doing this to us? Do you think he'll back down if the EU simply refuse to concede on the backstop? I feel that by laying down that gauntlet he's too far in to row back now without losing serious face.

LizzieSiddal Tue 30-Jul-19 08:53:34

A self inflicted state of emergency cheered on by the people. And for no real reason.-

But you’ve forgotten we get blue passports!

All the other shite they wanted won’t happen, including Immigration , which will not go down (Johnson has already said he won’t reduce the number of immigrants).

Helmetbymidnight Tue 30-Jul-19 08:54:57

boris and his wealthy chums are not only immune from brexit they will make a fortune from it.

elprup Tue 30-Jul-19 08:56:36

Also... Boris is now saying that if we do Brexit, this country will be great again by 2050. I'll be an OAP by then!

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 08:59:23

I had a blue passport. Meh.

QueenOfIce Tue 30-Jul-19 09:03:25

There will be empty shelves due to those stockpiling. If the UK doesn't tank what is everyone going to do with their huge amounts of tinned fruit, thrush cream and lentils?

prettybird Tue 30-Jul-19 09:05:39

When people travelled and worked in Europe in the late 70, 80s and early 90s (I was one of them), they might not have done so as part of the Single Market's "Freedom of Movement to Work " but they did so easily as part of the Common Market confused

The UK government is talking about leaving all of that angry so I don't understand the relevance of saying, "But we were able to do it back then" confused

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 09:07:04

Plus it was generally far far easier to travel and immigrate then. Things have been hugely tightened up over the last few decades so it's just not a valid comparison.

Songsofexperience Tue 30-Jul-19 09:10:34

Boris is now saying that if we do Brexit, this country will be great again by 2050.

He's saying that because he will not be held to account for his lies in 30 years ! Maybe a historian or two will point to him but it's not like he cares!

mamapants Tue 30-Jul-19 09:11:03

I imagine they will eventually eat their tins of lentils etc queenofice that's why people are stockpiling things with a long shelf life. There won't be a shortage in stocks Pre brexit as people can stockpile gradually not rush in the last week of October.

Cloudtree Tue 30-Jul-19 09:16:10

There will be empty shelves due to those stockpiling

Quite possibly - but this will be due to those who leave it to the last minute/immediately after crashing out and then clear the shelves rather than those of us who have been doing it gradually since last summer.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Tue 30-Jul-19 09:16:55

Actually I have good reason to believe that those blue passports might be late..... so the only so called “positive” hangs in the balance too!

Hi everyone by the way

[waves]

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 09:18:00

Hi @2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney

TheSultanofPingu Tue 30-Jul-19 09:39:08

I just don't understand the posters who come on to say that they can't wait for a no deal Brexit.

The Chancellor, Philip Hammond has resigned as he doesn't agree with leading the country into recession.
The Governor of the Bank of England has warned against it, yet there are people on here who absolutely can't wait for a no deal!

twofingerstoEverything Tue 30-Jul-19 10:34:56

I just don't understand the posters who come on to say that they can't wait for a no deal Brexit.

...without ever explaining why they're so Brexcited.

Fucking lemmings.

CoteDAzur Tue 30-Jul-19 10:47:42

"The pound will tank just like it did after the referendum result. It will rally again. You never hear a word when it rallies!"

Your layman's understanding of currency markets seems to be that it's all a silly game where sometimes GBP goes down but will surely come back up and none of it has any RL effect anyway.

You are wrong.

Here is the graph of GBP/USD. As you can see, it was about 1.70 in 2014, then 1.50 right before the referendum and then dove off a cliff when the majority voted for Brexit. It rallied for a while when it looked like the UK got its act together but it's now back at 1.21.

The effects of this collapse of the currency are numerous and nothing short of catastrophic. GBP lost 25% of its value since Brexit referendum. This means 25% higher cost of oil & gas, which is a major cost item for companies as well as people. (If this price rise isn't being reflected directly to your bills, that difference is coming out of your taxes).

It also means that all your imports are now much more expensive, pushing prices up by 20-25% on everything imported into the UK. This affects not just your medicine and tomatoes, but also all materials used by UK industries, clothes you buy from India & Turkey, etc. It means your companies will struggle to make profits and cut costs (less investments, lay offs, etc) and try to raise their own prices, which will mean inflation for you, the consumer whose wages will not increase in line with these price hikes. That means you will be poorer.

"But the UK is no longer dependent on industrial production. Most of our economy is services", you would say if you knew this subject better. Brexit delivers an even harder blow to the financial services industry, which serves EU countries through passporting deals. Those will be void upon no-deal Brexit and those service companies will close UK operations or suffer massive revenue losses & job cuts.

As for the City - London surpassed NY some years ago and became the world's #1 financial center, on the back of its unique position of being an Anglophone, cosmopolitan EU city where all corporations as well as banks liked to base their EU headquarters. London also enjoyed the position of EUR currency operations. That is no longer the case and we have already started seeing large scale layoffs as HQs are being moved to mainland Europe. Passporting problems will also severely affect UK banks and consulting services and you will see those companies shrink their London operations & personnel.

The fall in GBP is predicting these shocks to UK economy, and that even before the political ineptitude and uncertainty over N Ireland.

Those of us with zero understanding of all this fallout should educate themselves a little before declaring that all will be fine and GBP falling doesn't mean a thing.

mummmy2017 Tue 30-Jul-19 10:48:48

Lots of posters say they have a second passport.
If the UK is so bad why are you still staying?

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 10:51:53

Maybe because they have jobs, homes, lives here? Elderly relatives friends, children settled in schools?
Maybe they love the UK just not what is happening to it now?
Ffs. Not that hard to imagine is it?

Janista Tue 30-Jul-19 10:57:47

Currency weakness is a boon for exporters. Having an overvalued currency is not a good thing for competitiveness

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 10:58:29

@mummmy2017 , ask @Janista that question in reverse. They live in Australia.

Justaboutdone Tue 30-Jul-19 10:59:08

@Janista and it’s not like the UK has to import any raw materials or anything ..............

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 11:00:56

And where do you suggest we export our goods to exactly after 31 October?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/30/stop-playing-russian-roulette-sheep-industry-johnson-told

Mass slaughter of lambs on the cards. One of many knock on effects.

Justaboutdone Tue 30-Jul-19 11:05:15

Birmingham is such a diverse city. It’s what makes it the city it is and whilst all the work is a bit of a pain it is exciting seeing it change. We don’t go in very often so really notice it when we do.

Sitting in centenary square recently I got the chance to speak to people I wouldn’t normally 😀

Justaboutdone Tue 30-Jul-19 11:05:54

Wrong thread grin

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 11:13:58

@mummmy2017 and a lot of people will be trapped financially. The pound has tanked. House prices have stalled. Making a move to another country suddenly much harder.
It's not a simple thing. And unfortunately thinking that things are simple is what has got us into this mess.

SummerSeasoning Tue 30-Jul-19 11:16:25

Stopping watching too much news is good for my mental health.

I still manage to stay informed of the bigger or relevant stuff via my family and friends.

Bluntness100 Tue 30-Jul-19 11:17:05

Luckily we sold our home and are renting

Eh? No deal will cause lots of issues, but not owning a home and being in rented doesn't make you lucky in this scenario.

Cloudtree Tue 30-Jul-19 11:23:08

I was also confused by that. Being in rented is not generally a good thing in this situation.

twofingerstoEverything Tue 30-Jul-19 11:37:13

mummy Lots of posters say they have a second passport. If the UK is so bad why are you still staying?
I can get an Irish passport, so why haven't I gone? My DC is a young adult who still lives at home and needs support. They are NOT eligible for an Irish passport. Shall I leave them behind?
I am 4 years away from retirement. Shall I just fuck off and leave my secure job and screw the repercussions for my pension?
Shall I put my house on the market now when Brexit uncertainty is making it all but impossible to sell anything? My colleague's house has been on the market for 10 months. People aren't viewing; they are being cautious because they do not know WTF is happening.
I am not wealthy enough to move to another country without these things being major drivers in any decision I might make about my future.
I am really sick of your over-simplistic drivel on these threads, particularly your nonsense about voting without considering how leaving the EU might work in practice and putting your trust in politicians to find a way to conjure up the unicorns you voted for...

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 11:41:03

"go back to your own country " is classic racist bullshit. I presume you don't mean that @mummmy2017 because Leave supporters, particularly No Dealers, are not racist. No they are not. At all.

mummmy2017 Tue 30-Jul-19 11:51:04

No, not a go back comment.
As people have lived through the boom times, profited and grown Rich, maybe they should think of those who never got these advantages, who voted and see only the same old in front of them.
Why do I need to expand my views, when what I feel seems to happen.

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 11:52:51

So you're assuming that all Remainers are rich people? Why?
And the reason people kept seeing the Same Old was not the EU, we've had years of vicious austerity. Although that's going to look like a picnic compared to what's going to come if we do crash out.

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 11:53:42

And I for one did think of those who never had advantages. That's why I didn't vote Tory.

probstimeforanewname Tue 30-Jul-19 11:55:31

No deal will cause lots of issues, but not owning a home and being in rented doesn't make you lucky in this scenario

I suppose it means you can make a hasty Brexit of your own if you don't have to sell a house. You are more mobile.

bellinisurge Tue 30-Jul-19 11:56:04

Utterly naive to think only people with money voted Remain. Utterly foolish childish nonsense. If only it were that fucking simple.

twofingerstoEverything Tue 30-Jul-19 12:00:55

As people have lived through the boom times, profited and grown Rich
I lived through boom times but failed to profit and grow rich. My bad. hmm

Cyclemad222 Tue 30-Jul-19 12:00:55

I just don't believe any politician would be stupid enough to proceed with no deal. It would write off their party forever.

Johnson has no principles, he flipped on EU before and will at the last minute say its better to stay. Either that or parliament will find a way to stop it.

The whole thing is so damaging and pointless.

mummmy2017 Tue 30-Jul-19 12:03:14

Well I just know loads of the people complaining the most on this thread have admitted to owning a 2nd passport, are applying for this one, or they do own a house and so self interest seems to be a motivational factor.

MaxNormal Tue 30-Jul-19 12:10:05

Having a second passport doesn't make you rich grin
Mine is South African, that helps me precisely bugger all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »