Talk

Advanced search

Westminstenders: The Imperial March

(934 Posts)
RedToothBrush Sun 28-Jul-19 14:33:18

There are many ways to enforce power indirectly using privilege. Jacob Rees Mogg knows every trick in the book and dresses it up as respectability rather than a subtle form or intimidation and deliberate exclusion.

It's not the stuff 'of the people'.

Meanwhile the newly crowned PM, is making rather a bug deal of how he is the man 'of the people', here to serve them and to deliver their will.

There's a big theme here about presenting as 'of the people' whilst simultaneously serving the interests of the elite and reestablishing its power over the people.

It's a theme that is set to run for some time, and is entrenched in Trumpism too.

This shift in power is particularly harmful to women it must be noted.

'Strong and stable' was 'weak and wobbly' and we should be mindful that in the era of reversed spin, what 'of the people' signifies.

We've long known about the authoritarianism at the heart of leaving thinking. It's only now that it's finally going to start stomping it's feet all over our freedoms and power.

The road back will be a long and hard one because we failed to spot the threat and the dangers of it.

bellinisurge Sun 28-Jul-19 14:35:55

I keep saying this tune should be our hold music in our office. I guess it's hold music for everyone now.

bellinisurge Sun 28-Jul-19 14:42:29

Thanks Red. I forgot my manners in all my bile.winethanks

SwedishEdith Sun 28-Jul-19 14:44:35

pmk so I can, hopefully, find this thread this time.

howabout Sun 28-Jul-19 14:54:29

Re JRM I saw a comment on twitter which is prescient.

-
Conservatives used to have to find a dead cat or a squirrel deflection but now they can deploy the Moggster at will.

Fun Boris quote via Iain Dale:

"It's possible to have a pretty good life & career being a leech and a parasite in the media world, gadding about from TV studio to TV studio, writing inconsequential pieces and having a good time. But in the end you have a great sense of personal dissatisfaction." Boris Johnson

Iambuffy Sun 28-Jul-19 15:12:09

Pmk

prettybird Sun 28-Jul-19 15:12:26

Regal Cat on Windowsill

Heaven knows what horrors will be visited upon us over the short life time of this thread confused

OublietteBravo Sun 28-Jul-19 15:13:03

Thanks for the new thread. I think I lost track of the previous one about 2/3 of the way through.

BestIsWest Sun 28-Jul-19 15:22:37

Good grief. PMK.

Alsohuman Sun 28-Jul-19 15:34:27

May this one have fewer derails than the last.

ListeningQuietly Sun 28-Jul-19 15:35:37

Plaice Marque

DGRossetti Sun 28-Jul-19 15:39:53

Myriade Sun 28-Jul-19 15:45:42

PMK

Myriade Sun 28-Jul-19 15:50:26

The road back will be a long and hard one because we failed to spot the threat and the dangers of it.
I actually think very few people have actually realised the danger she ahead.
For most people, we are still in a remain/leave position or Tory/labour.
The fact we are now dealing with an authoritarian government hasn't sinked in. I dont think it will fir a while either because, for most people, it's unthinkable.

tobee Sun 28-Jul-19 15:53:27

Place marks

Yay! I might have had the pleasure of posting the last comment on the old thread! smile

OhLookHeKickedTheBall Sun 28-Jul-19 15:59:24

Thanks red

lonelyplanetmum Sun 28-Jul-19 16:02:02

Thank you Red.

Another day. Another thread. Another fall in the pound.

Hasenstein Sun 28-Jul-19 16:02:35

Thanks as ever, Red. cake in the absence of a Lindt chocolate emoji.

placemats Sun 28-Jul-19 16:03:50

No one failed here.

The vote was the vote as it was then.

Time for another referendum I think. My thoughts on this are as valid as anyone else.

Meanwhile is the land that both Corbyn and Johnson & co inhabit, Corbyn talks up the fighting talk. My advice to both. None of you will win. An election is for both of you to lose. Leave Corbyn doesn't listen, much like Alexander.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/28/corbyn-worried-boris-johnson-election-labour-brexit

DGRossetti Sun 28-Jul-19 16:04:05

Is it just me, or did the BBC used to have te £ rate on it's news home page, and now doesn't ? hmm

DGRossetti Sun 28-Jul-19 16:05:11

Also caught the Mail headline yesterday about the tourist pound dropping ... which seemed a tad rich coming from such a Brexit-backing paper. You'd think they'd be glad for a start ....

Socksontheradiator Sun 28-Jul-19 16:06:06

Thank you as always.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Jul-19 16:16:02

I keep forgetting to sort my holiday money out.

ListeningQuietly Sun 28-Jul-19 16:22:23

Happy holidays
www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cx250jmk4e7t/pound-sterling-gbp

Motheroffourdragons Sun 28-Jul-19 16:24:23

PMK - thanks again Red flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »