Talk

Advanced search

Germany's economy in freefall

(668 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 06:58:34

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/25/german-economy-free-fall-exhausted-draghi-loses-magic/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

So leaving on WTO terms looks like a very sound choice. Germany props up the entire EU superstate pretty much.

I for one am feeling much more optimistic by the day.

OP’s posts: |
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Jul-19 07:37:05

Urbanlife you say that Germany buys almost nothing from us then say "The UK imported £75 billion in goods and services from Germany, and sold £49 billion." surely 1.5x almost nothing is still hardly anything in your measures?!

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 07:37:39

I don't wish to 'defeat' Germany bellini I would like the EU to stop their plans of expansion and integration into a fully fledged federal state yes, but would I like to see anyone in Europe suffer, absolutely not.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 07:39:07

There is a 26 billion difference oh it is enormous, and Germany and most of the EU certainly stand to lose far more from our departure than we do.

LizzieSiddal Fri 26-Jul-19 07:46:29

Germany Nominal GDP: $3.68 trillion. ...
UK Nominal GDP: $2.62 trillion. ..

Germany’s GDP is over a third larger than ours.

Germany exports a third more goods into our country than we do into theirs.

Therefore in proportion of GDP, both Germany and the UK, are as FUCKED as each other.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 26-Jul-19 07:46:48

because if you want a deal bellini, then the best way to get one is when the other side are struggling

This is beautiful.

If the EU had done the decent thing in the first place, and treated the UK with respect, then maybe the relations between the countries would be in better shape. However they choose to humiliate our PM and offer up a deal that they knew would never be acceptable to any country.

Didn’t the EU put a number of options on the table and wasn’t it our red lines that ruled most of them out? It was us that came up with the backstop to fix the problem we’d made with our negotiating position. I’m not sure the EU can be blamed for that however much you’d like them to be.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 07:50:37

"would I like to see anyone in Europe suffer, absolutely not."

Funny way of expressing it, @urbanlife . Your glee at the potential misfortune of others is virtually dripping off your posts.

frumpety Fri 26-Jul-19 07:50:53

urban I posted a link to a FT piece that's why I asked if you had read it.

The worry for me is intermediate goods produced in the UK and sold to other EU countries to support their manufacturing, if their manufacturing tanks so does the need for the goods produced here iyswim. This is why I am less gleeful at the possibility of recession in Germany.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 07:53:02

@EngTech this hasn't "descended into a slanging match". It stated with a goady post and is full of the op's mistaken idea that they need us more than we need them. As well as her (?) rather disgusting pleasure at others' potential misfortune.

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 26-Jul-19 07:58:57

We are the EU. Part of it.

NoWordForFluffy Fri 26-Jul-19 08:00:13

The deal we have on the table is the best deal available given TM's own red lines which she and nobody else set.

And if by better deal you mean as good as being in the EU, but not, then that's pure cakeism. What better deal did you anticipate (please put it in detail)?

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:04:52

lizzie You are not considering services, take those into account and the picture looks very different (certainly for the UK who is not so heavily reliant on exports or manufacturing)

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:06:07

raf The EU commission treated the UK team with utter contempt. The worst part was not their contempt, but the British remainers betrayal of their own interests. Thankfully for not much longer!

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:06:56

black not for much longer black.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 08:09:24

Someone has drunk the Koolaid!

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:09:35

no The EU commission had no intention of offering any kind of deal, and that is still their position today. The quicker everyone realises this ia the case, the better. It is why we will be leaving on WTO terms.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:10:03

bellini If you have nothing intelligent to add to the thread, please refrain from posting.

Justaboutdone Fri 26-Jul-19 08:11:13

Brexit happened due to Tory party policies.

Brexit happened because the press and politicians told lies and blamed the EU.

Brexit happened because if decisions made in the UK by UK governments.

God help us when we do Brexit

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:11:23

frump Prepare for the worst, not because of brexit, we are not THAT important, but because there will be a global slowdown. Your company needs to expand its markets beyond europe is my guess.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:16:40

just I genuinely feel sorry for you if you think it is as simple as that.

The EU Commission has turned Europe into a federalist state, complete with parliament, flags, anthem, fiscal union, and now an army.

The UK public, and much of Europe I may add, feel deeply uncomfortable about this. There is no accountability or transparency in the EU Commission and yet they are running the entire area.

It is nothing to do with the conservatives, nor the 'lies' you allude to.

It is to do with independence, we don't want the UK to join the superstate led by Germany just

Motheroffourdragons Fri 26-Jul-19 08:16:51

If the EU had done the decent thing in the first place, and treated the UK with respect, then maybe the relations between the countries would be in better shape.

Statements like these are just nonsense.

I can't remember seeing where the EU have not treated us with respect - they have bent over backwards to come to a deal which May accepted and then was rejected three times by parliament.

What else are they supposed to do?

People have been predicting a global recession for a long time - the car industry is really struggling.The cost to us of a recession + a no deal brexit might well be much worse than 2008.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Jul-19 08:23:03

I'm not going to engage with someone who can't understand even the most elementary maths, yet pretends to. It makes the rest of your argument entirely unconvincing.

tomtom1999xx Fri 26-Jul-19 08:25:28

Interesting news op. Thank you for the link.

Even more happy that we’re leaving in a couple of months!

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 08:25:38

"bellini If you have nothing intelligent to add to the thread, please refrain from posting."
Hope that works both ways!!!

joyfullittlehippo Fri 26-Jul-19 08:26:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 08:27:28

mother so you missed the abject humiliation of our prime minister being insulted, made to sit in dark rooms eating pizza, embarrassed over and over again. Even my ardent remain friends were furious.

It is a case of you are only seeing what you want to mother

The EU have treated the UK appallingly. I have attached links so you can catch up:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ZV9w7RwNY

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in