Talk

Advanced search

Germany's economy in freefall

(668 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 06:58:34

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/25/german-economy-free-fall-exhausted-draghi-loses-magic/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

So leaving on WTO terms looks like a very sound choice. Germany props up the entire EU superstate pretty much.

I for one am feeling much more optimistic by the day.

OP’s posts: |
Isthisafreename Fri 26-Jul-19 21:43:54

@urbanlife - The Malthouse agreement could have worked

The malthouse agreement proposed using undefined technology to avoid border checks. There is no such technology in existence today. The EU are happy to see a solution that uses technology. The WA provides for the backstop to come into play if that does not work.

Had the remainers in parliament understood the need for compromise, to respect their own constituents, and the vote then we would not be staring down the barrel of no deal.

Had the no deal proponents in parliament understood the need for compromise, to respect their own constituents, and the vote then we would not be staring down the barrel of no deal*. They would have accepted the WA with either a NI only backstop or, if they really want to pander to the DUP, a UK wide backstop.

Isthisafreename Fri 26-Jul-19 21:45:22

@urbanlife - there are other solutions.

Yes, there are. But they would involve the UK revising their red lines.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 21:46:23

tom thank you halo I have reported the post. Anyone that has a different opinion is apparently a fully paid up troll, it’s not on.
They can’t argue with the facts, so they choose to try and get the thread closed down or to silence in other ways.

Well not for much longer.

Alsohuman Fri 26-Jul-19 21:46:23

Excuse me, @urbanlife, you first posted at 6 this morning. Pot/kettle?

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 21:47:10

I have done a full days work, and have spent most of the afternoon doing exactly that!

dreichhighlands Fri 26-Jul-19 21:47:34

The WA was the compromise, it wasn't one as a remainer I much loved, it was a long way off Norway for example, but it did it's job of leaving the EU and protecting the GFA.
It was the Brexit ultras that brought it down not the conservative remainers.

ClaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-Jul-19 21:48:05

Hi folks,

Just passing by with a reminder of our Talk Guidelines. We know this is a very emotive topic but we won't allow posts that are uncivil, personal attacks, abusive, or break guidelines in other ways.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 21:48:22

Talk shit and you'll get a response. Welcome to MN.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 21:49:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 21:52:00

Can't wait to see Johnson sell your dreams down the river with an NI only backstop.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 21:52:29

dre it’s not Brexit though is it, it’s Hotel California on steroids and will never ever be agreed by either side. Dead in the water.

Knittedjimmychoos Fri 26-Jul-19 21:52:43

Op, well done..
The abuse and bullying you have withstood on here is shameful.. This board should be re named:

Remainers corner

Any type of sensible leave chat has been made utterly impossible by the same posters, who seem to spend every minute on here but then call the first person in ages to speak out for leave, a botconfused

Remainers dominate mn boards and most have constant bullying childish responses.
You've done enormously well op under tremendous constant fire.

Surely anyone, would be grateful for you flagging this up? The mere mention of something slightly awry over in Europe and your set upon.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 21:54:55

I am hugely optimistic that Boris will deliver. He is on day two give him a chance. You can underestimate him, but we certainly won’t, under the charismatic tousled exterior lies a deeply intelligent man.

Jason118 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:56:07

Any idea what he will deliver, genuinely curious?

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 26-Jul-19 21:56:18

I don’t understand, NI could have gotten special status probably been a gateway between Europe and UK. It could have sparked such an economic revival in the region.

The SNP would have bitten off your hand for this. The DUP are too ...... (fill in the blank) to see this and instead force Theresa May to include all of the UK in the backstop. They were terrified it would move them closer to Dublin.

They failed their constituents so badly in this regard. Why ????

Isthisafreename Fri 26-Jul-19 21:56:38

@urbanlife - No, it would not involve revisiting red lines. It would involve discreet checks miles from the border and an agreement/ treaty between Ireland and UK.

That would not solve the issue of food and animal checks. The only way that would work without border checks is a de facto backstop in NI.

The Irish are a canny bunch.

Don't be so patronising. This is the type of attitude that has the UK in its current mess.

dreichhighlands Fri 26-Jul-19 21:56:57

canny bunch ?
What does that mean?

In regards to Canada have you ever crossed the Canada/ US border out of interest?

The WA would have led to leaving the EU, Norway would have led to leaving the EU. There are many different ways of leaving the EU.

Mistigri Fri 26-Jul-19 21:58:07

That's not patronising; it's racist.

tomtom1999xx Fri 26-Jul-19 21:58:31

Yes well done op, I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts. smile
Very few leavers post on this board anymore so it’s nice to have a balance, even if it’s just for one day every few months.

Alsohuman Fri 26-Jul-19 21:58:56

Who’s “we” @urbanlife?

Mistigri Fri 26-Jul-19 21:59:30

Re the backstop, if a technological solution were available, then the backstop would never have been an issue.

If you're moaning about the backstop, you are de facto admitting that there is no technological solution.

Isthisafreename Fri 26-Jul-19 22:00:54

@Mistigri - That's not patronising; it's racist.

I had originally written racist but rowed back to patronising.

Jason118 Fri 26-Jul-19 22:02:21

I've enjoyed reading the posts also @urbanlife you should take up fiction writing for a living smilesmile seriously though, please keep it up, I've learnt so much about optimism and how things will be OK and how solutions exist to everything and stuff. It's like Love Island lite.

bellinisurge Fri 26-Jul-19 22:03:36

"The abuse and bullying you have withstood on here is shameful.. "
Ridiculous self serving shite.

urbanlife Fri 26-Jul-19 22:08:13

knitted thank you for your support. I am amazed that these posters are allowed to continue day after day in the same fashion.

I am fed up that I am not able to post my view because of the bullying on here. At some point we have to stand by what we believe in, to say no you can’t force your agenda on us any longer.

I have noted some progress though. Remainers and the EU have stopped saying;

1) You don’t know what you voted for - they now know we definitely did after the EU elections.

2) a second ref - now accepting they would lose again by a bigger margin having done the maths. Better to try and overturn the vote by stealth.

3) Brexiteers don’t want no deal. Yup that old chestnut. Now they know we are deadly serious. I am a moderate leaver, and even I am prepared to leave without a deal.

The project fear won’t work

There is no positive case to remain, I have still never heard of a single one beyond second homes and extended student gap years ( that no one takes anymore anyway) confused Even in all these years they still haven’t even managed a positive case.

Boris will fix this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in