Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders: A New Approach? No chance.

(993 Posts)
RedToothBrush Thu 18-Jul-19 16:04:23

Next week we will have a new PM. He will be called Boris Johnson unless something very odd has happened.

His first 72 hours will be 'interesting' especially if today's events are anything to go by.

His Cabinet is sure to be a horror show. It was noticable who abstained today - they don't think they will be in a Johnson Cabinet and clearly don't want to be.

To move forward Johnson must be able to survive a rebellion and a Queen's speech before now and 31st October.

And be able to unit his party in order to find a way forward.

And whilst parliament has voted to block proroguing parliament, it could still be dissolved if there is a vote of no confidence.

And what happens if Johnson loses a vote? Will he manage to become PM? Will there be a GE.

All the signs are that next week is going to be a hell of a ride.

Enjoy your weekend.

prettybird Thu 18-Jul-19 16:04:45

Regal cat on a mat positioning grin (Dh was painting the front door which is why the place mat was outside)

TokyoSushi Thu 18-Jul-19 16:06:01

Phew! Thanks! PMK

Lisette1940 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:08:21

Thanks RTB

QueenMabby Thu 18-Jul-19 16:09:33

Thanks RTB although I did enjoy the four page “spare” thread too even though I had no cat to contribute.
Carry on!

Lisette1940 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:09:34

When you say 'unit' his party, would you add 'secure' before it...thanks Red

TokyoSushi Thu 18-Jul-19 16:09:53

So... on Tuesday, Sky news last night were saying they will announce the winner (wonder who that will be) 'on Tuesday at 11' - they said it about 4 times, but didn't say AM or PM? Do we assume AM? Or do we need some late-night snacks? Who accounces it? The lady in the committee room? But not much really happens until after PMQ's on Wednesday? Right?

Is it very sad that I'm quite excited for the drama, yet simultaneously utterly horrified at what's about to happen?

DGRossetti Thu 18-Jul-19 16:10:04

MmeBufo Thu 18-Jul-19 16:10:28

Thank you Red!

On the labour lords thing, which I don't think we've mentioned yet

Robert Peston
@Peston****
Trying to get my head round the constitutional significance of Labour peers holding a no confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn next Tuesday. Looks like unilateral declaration of independence by official opposition from its own leadership. Is there any historical precedent? The...

Robert Peston
@Peston****
·
10m
Replying to
@Peston****
combination of Brexit and Labour's antisemitism debacle is wreaking havoc with the basics of how parliament and government functions

flouncyfanny Thu 18-Jul-19 16:11:03

Door Mat Cat
Ta Red

bellinisurge Thu 18-Jul-19 16:12:05

Thank you RedToothBrush . My cat is still covering her eyes although she has taken the controversial step of facing the other way.

1tisILeClerc Thu 18-Jul-19 16:14:08

Well at least I got some music in.
I think it was Holly Johnson who said 'F$$$ this, time for some serious messing about'. (somewhere on Welcome to the pleasuredome album).

flouncyfanny Thu 18-Jul-19 16:14:40

Queen
Any pet (or animal) would do...

Lisette grin

tobee Thu 18-Jul-19 16:15:05

Hooray! Normal service has been resumed.

Thanks Red.

ListeningQuietly Thu 18-Jul-19 16:15:07

The world has gone mad.
I could really do with Bobby Ewing taking us all back to a reset point right now.

flouncyfanny Thu 18-Jul-19 16:24:23

tobee
Thanks for playing eye-spy blush and you need to ask Lisette for the recipe for her biscuits.

tobee Thu 18-Jul-19 16:24:37

I've come to the conclusion that this is the only solution Listening

1tisILeClerc Thu 18-Jul-19 16:29:47

{Hooray! Normal service has been resumed.}

With 'normal' being a commentary on the final destruction of the British Empire, as the sun sinks slowly in the West the last bubbles of SS Great Britain rise to the surface.

GeistohneGrenzen Thu 18-Jul-19 16:31:02

PMK for real this time. Thanks Red flowers

QuckTheDuck Thu 18-Jul-19 16:33:19

Wait, the lords are doing a no-confidence vote in corbyn? have been living under a rock and what happened with what vote this week?

Lisette1940 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:37:05

Ingredients:
Sue Lawrence's Choc Chip cookies aka
Lower-House cookies.

150g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¼ teaspoon salt
70g light muscovado sugar
50g golden caster sugar
125g butter
1 medium free range egg
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
150g chocolate chips or chunks

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190c/375f/Gas mark 5 and lightly butter two baking sheets. Then, sift the flour, bicarbonate of sugar and salt into a bowl. Beat together the sugars and butter until smooth using electric beaters, a food mixer or by hand, then add the egg and vanilla. Gradually tip the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture, and fold in gently before stirring in the chocolate chips.

Spoon heaped teaspoonfuls (or dessertspoonfuls) of the mixture on to the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until pale golden yet still slightly soft in the centre. Leave your cookies on their baking sheets to firm up for a couple of minutes once done then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

lonelyplanetmum Thu 18-Jul-19 16:41:09

* I could really do with Bobby Ewing taking us all back to a reset point right now.*

This is my hope too.

A (M)Ewing place cat.. in the week the infiltrating faragists help elect a dishonest, incompetent, tactless stand up to the highest office in the land.

tobee Thu 18-Jul-19 16:41:11

Looks like a picked the wrong week to give up sugar sad

flouncyfanny Thu 18-Jul-19 16:41:14

1tisI
Poetically put sad

flouncyfanny Thu 18-Jul-19 16:44:23

Lisette
Thank you for biscuit recipe. But surely if they represent the commons they should contain nuts? wink
Will have a bash at the weekend and report back smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »