Talk

Advanced search

#RuleItOut - prorogation, that is

(9 Posts)
bellinisurge Wed 10-Jul-19 09:02:37

Just heard John Major saying he would seek a judicial review (they happen really quickly so no idle threat or lame legal nonsense) if Johnson sought to prorogue Parliament.
All No Dealers should ask Johnson to rule out prorogation right now.

Mistigri Wed 10-Jul-19 09:29:17

The prorogation debate is mainly useful in that it gives the lie to all the guff about democracy.

No one who supports prorogation can claim to be a democrat. It's that simple.

Songsofexperience Wed 10-Jul-19 10:51:08

RULE OUT NO DEAL!!!!
No ifs no buts!

TheEmpireNoMore Wed 10-Jul-19 11:22:26

The Bercow speaker guy has blocked that motion from being talked about?

Oakenbeach Wed 10-Jul-19 13:50:11

The Bercow speaker guy has blocked that motion from being talked about?

A related amendment was allowed and passed (by 1 vote!)

Oakenbeach Wed 10-Jul-19 13:56:18

Prorogation would be an appalling attack on our democracy.... To consider that you have to go back to the 1640s and the Civil War that followed for any similar is telling.

However, if BJ did prorogue, how and when would he convene Parliament again? As and when he did, he would almost certainly be brought down in a VONC.... so he’d postpone and postpone it, damaging our democracy further every day he did so.

First, he’d assure us normal business would resume early November, then for a month to deal
with the ensuing “national emergency”, then 3 months etc. Prorogation would an incredibly reckless and sickening act.

MockerstheFeManist Wed 10-Jul-19 15:07:25

Prorogation would require royal assent. The Queen will act on the advice of her ministers (unless she thinks, "Fuck it, I'm Ninety Three and I can do what the fuck I like!)

More likely, like her grandad faced with Squiffy Asquith's call for hundreds of new Liberal peers to pass his budget, she might send him away to think about it some more, in the hope that wiser coucils prevail.

(Probably the latter, but much prefer the former.)

TheEmpireNoMore Wed 10-Jul-19 15:14:40

Can’t see this prorogation happening. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Johnson’s way of working which MPs are true believers in Brexit and who to keep in cabinet if he becomes PM.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Jul-19 15:26:21

Good idea. I'll write to my mp. Again. Though he has consistently supported no deal sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »