Just how exactly are we going to 'bring the country back together'?

(399 Posts)
KennDodd Fri 05-Jul-19 21:44:07

Both candidates for PM have claimed they can do this. I heard a Tory party member interviewed on the radio saying that the best way to do this was a 'no deal/WTO/crash out because we'll all be in it together and it'll be like the war'.
I don't know how these wounds are going to heal.

OP’s posts: |
Mistigri Sat 13-Jul-19 21:11:00

Sorry Cav wrong link, it was a newer france24 one (2017) i meant to post - hence my error, its up to 35 now or 6.35%, UK is at 8%, i'm not sure of each countries overall ethnicity

If you read the article you'll see that they were not considering ethnicity at all, because that data doesn't exist.

But you can go on the assembly website and look at photos - as I said, 8 of 23 députés with a surname beginning with A were clearly members of what would be considered an "ethnic minority" in the U.K..

Clavinova Sat 13-Jul-19 18:13:41

1tisILeClerc

Ann Widdecome is a bit too much for me grin - but no more embarrassing/'overly enthusiastic' than David Lammy.

Clavinova Sat 13-Jul-19 17:59:27

Mistigri
Jaguar Land Rover have just announced a multi-billion pound investment in Birmingham (capacity for 150,000 electric vehicles per year) - despite the threat of 'no-deal'.

bellinisurge
I thought the news would cheer you up a bit. grin

1tisILeClerc Sat 13-Jul-19 17:46:56

Fortunately the UK is leaving so Clavinova won't have to worry about the make up of the European Parliament. And as a bonus, you will get Farage and Widdecome back.
What a treat!

jasjas1973 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:35:07

Your link (2012) says that only 9 members of the French parliament belong to ethnic minorities - out of 577

Sorry Cav wrong link, it was a newer france24 one (2017) i meant to post - hence my error, its up to 35 now or 6.35%, UK is at 8%, i'm not sure of each countries overall ethnicity

www.france24.com/en/20170621-france-diversity-gains-ground-new-look-national-assembly-after-legislative-election

Mistigri Sat 13-Jul-19 17:33:41

Your link (2012) says that only 9 members of the French parliament belong to ethnic minorities - out of 577.

It's very easy to check this by visiting the website for the assemblée générale, which I just did.

The députés (MPs) are listed in alphabetical order and you can look at their photos. I looked only at the députés with surnames beginning with A, of whom there are 23 (out of 577 députés in total). Of these, 8 are black or Asian and another two have surnames suggesting they are of North African (probably Algerian) origin.

That's just the A's.

bellinisurge Sat 13-Jul-19 17:27:35

I'm soooooooo pleased that a No Deal would be great fir Bentley and Aston Martin. I was worried there for a moment confusedgrin

Mistigri Sat 13-Jul-19 17:22:18

Bentley Motors and Aston Martin

These two companies together produce less than 20,000 vehicles per annum, or about 1% of U.K. vehicle production.

I agree that no deal will be easier to manage for low volume high value manufacturers whose customers will wait for their cars. You'd get a different picture from the other 99% of the market, though.

Clavinova Sat 13-Jul-19 17:07:44

Interestingly it is illegal to differentiate on ethnicity in France.

Explanation here;

"In France, it is illegal for the government to collect data on the race of its citizens, as this in itself is considered racist.In Germany, meanwhile, data on race is not collected because of fears that it could invoke uncomfortable memories of the Nazi era."

"The EU Commission launched a new Diversity and Inclusion Charter in 2017.The strategy aims “to create a better workplace for all – including women, staff with disabilities, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual and Intersex (LGBTI) staff and older staff.”The Commission also announced a target of having at least 40% women in management roles by 2019."

"There was no mention of affirmative action for racial minorities."

“Frankly, tackling it [the lack of racial diversity in EU institutions] is not a priority for the EU,” ... “The EU follows the principle of ‘if we don’t talk about it, the problem doesn’t exist.’"

www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/racial-diversity-not-on-the-eus-radar/

pallasathena Sat 13-Jul-19 16:57:41

We have (generally speaking) an island mentality.
We (again, generally speaking) consider ourselves in terms of which class we belong to.
We're an inward looking nation desperate to maintain a dodgy status quo.

Clavinova Sat 13-Jul-19 16:54:41

Don't worry, @ Clavinova will bring us all back together.

I could tell you that Bentley Motors and Aston Martin are now saying they can cope with a 'no-deal' Brexit (extra warehouse capacity, ferry routes avoiding Dover) - in fact they would prefer 'no-deal' to another extension. Would that cheer you up?

Apologies to Diane Abbott - I have added an extra 'n' to her name.

1tisILeClerc Sat 13-Jul-19 16:42:32

From 2017:
{Besides the deputies elected to represent France’s overseas departments and territories, FRANCE 24 has tabulated that 35 ethnic minority parliamentarians will sit in the next legislature,}

Interestingly it is illegal to differentiate on ethnicity in France.
You also need to consider that even Reunion Island is a department of France and that it has a majority of African citizens.

bellinisurge Sat 13-Jul-19 16:32:45

Don't worry, @Clavinova will bring us all back together.😂😂😂

Clavinova Sat 13-Jul-19 16:21:45

jasjas1973
france seems to do well

Your link (2012) says that only 9 members of the French parliament belong to ethnic minorities - out of 577.

I'm pretty sure that the Liberal Democrats are regularly criticised for their lack of diversity - I doubt they are any better than the Conservatives. With so much female/ethnic minority talent to choose from in the Labour Party - it's a wonder that Dianne Abbott is Shadow Home Secretary.

time4chocolate Sat 13-Jul-19 15:58:55

Well, you wouldn't because it doesn't suit your narrative

Do tell what narrative is that then?

As we are leaving the EU, its irrelevant what their Parliaments ethnic diversity is, it won't affect the UK

Absolutelysmile

jasjas1973 Sat 13-Jul-19 15:13:47

I’m not getting into a whole ‘what party has more ethnic minorities blah blah blah’

Well, you wouldn't because it doesn't suit your narrative.

But it IS telling, as both main parties are pulling from the same population, its remarkable that the Cons cannot get more female and ethnic MPs, especially as they ve been the party of Govt for almost 10 years and 3 GE's.
Thats either down to who votes for them and/or who selects their candidates.

france seems to do well: www.france24.com/en/20120619-france-parliament-women-closer-reflect-french-society-ethnic-minorities

Though once again, we hear the UK's xy or z is the best in Europe etc crap.

As we are leaving the EU, its irrelevant what their Parliaments ethnic diversity is, it won't affect the UK.

Peregrina Sat 13-Jul-19 15:00:27

There is certainly ethnic diversity in France.

Even if the UK 'puts them to shame in that respect.' the shit way that we have treated people who speak with the wrong accent or are the wrong colour, since the Referendum unleashed the xenophobia and racism that we have seen since, is nothing to be proud of.

time4chocolate Sat 13-Jul-19 14:26:49

.......no way invalidates what I have said

It does to a point.

JasJas - I’m not getting into a whole ‘what party has more ethnic minorities blah blah blah’

What we do have is the most ethnically diverse group of MPs we ever have had (and probably in the whole of Europe).

The EU commision issues may well be to do with the low voter turnout across europe, it certainly needs addressing

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with low turnout in EU elections. They are representing 27 different countries for heavens sake, their ethnic diversity is virtually non existent. If you want ethnic diversity the grass is definitely not greener on the other side, our small country puts them to shame in that respect.

jasjas1973 Sat 13-Jul-19 14:12:15

Still low numbers of ethnic and women MPs represented in the Tory party compared to LD and Labour.... wonder why? i guess with a older, misogynistic and more racist membership, candidates don't get picked, though they have had 2 female PMs.

The EU commision issues may well be to do with the low voter turnout across europe, it certainly needs addressing.

Bearbehind Sat 13-Jul-19 14:11:34

not entirely - because they don’t object to the US dictating terms to us.

Americans are mainly white and speak English - they’re not really ‘foreigners ’ 😂

Peregrina Sat 13-Jul-19 14:10:09

timef4chocolate - the fact that Parliament is slowly becoming more diverse and that the EU Parliament has a long way to go, no way invalidates what I have said.

Just how many times have you seen a black Briton asked where they come from and when they say London or Sheffield, get asked 'No where do you really come from?'

time4chocolate Sat 13-Jul-19 14:04:12

A lot of people who are against 'immigration' are really against blacks, brown and Muslim people, who might easily have been born here, to parents who were born here, so are in no sense immigrants

People will see/read what suits their narrative and ignore what doesn’t.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/election-2017-40232272

amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/19/eu-race-problem-european-elections-meps-migrants-minorities

1tisILeClerc Sat 13-Jul-19 13:40:06

{probably safe to say that too boils down to a dislike of foreign involvement}

Boy, are they going to be disappointed when edicts come from Washington with NO possibility of discussion, let alone voting with vetoes possible.

Peregrina Sat 13-Jul-19 13:18:26

....it’s probably safe to say that too boils down to a dislike of foreign involvement

Not entirely - because they don't object to the US dictating terms to us. At a guess I would say they welcome that. They stay silent about China.

Bearbehind Sat 13-Jul-19 13:13:38

Leave voters I know often say they don’t like EU control in addition to immigration.

But as none of them can ever give any examples of how that control has affected them, it’s probably safe to say that too boils down to a dislike of foreign involvement

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in