Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me why the DUP are so hellbent on Brexit....

(225 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Oakenbeach Wed 26-Jun-19 19:48:41

.... even if that means we crash out in 31 October? It seems to make no sense for a party whose overriding top priority and raison d’etre is the remain in the UK... Don’t they see this that a no-deal Brexit is the biggest threat to the union for NI in a century? It seems totally insane, far more so even than the mainland British no-dealers! What am I missing?

1tisILeClerc Sat 06-Jul-19 19:49:31

What I found frustrating is that until October/November time last year, it was blatantly obvious that very few in the HoC and many of the cabinet had not read or understood the WA that they were supposed to be voting on. I only watched a couple of the special Parliamentary question times and it was obvious they had no bloody clue what it meant. Then they voted against it. Almost the same but actually worse than leavers voting for £350 Million on a bus.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 19:53:21

I ended up getting so stressed watching the parliament live stuff during all the votes I had to stop. I was genuinely heading for some kind of episode of MH decline it was so awful.

Isthisafreename Sat 06-Jul-19 19:56:59

@bellinisurge - Not letting you get away with that one without comment. Murdering fucking gangster bastards.

While I agree with you regarding the IRA, so too were the UVF, the British army the the British secret service.

It is important to understand why the IRA became active. It would not have happened without British collusion in ensuring the catholic population was treated as second class. Catholics did not get jobs. Catholics did not get houses. Boundaries were gerrymandered to ensure unionist majorities.

The catholic community started a peaceful civil rights movement. Bloody Sunday put paid up that.

The nationalists originally welcomed the British army as they believed they would protect them from loyalist aggression. They soon showed them that was not the case.

Basically, if nationalists had equal rights, the IRA campaign would never have taken off.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 20:03:37

Basically, if nationalists had equal rights, the IRA campaign would never have taken off.

This.

Also, there had been a kind of unofficial agreement that British troops would stay out of some areas of Derry. Hence the famous "you are now entering free Derry" mural. Which offended the egos of some senior British army officers who sent in their most brutal regiment to do exactly what they did. 1 Para were known to be the personal attack dogs of a certain top brass. To pretend otherwise is grossly unfair.

To deny the deliberate and brutal oppression of nationalist Catholics is also grossly unfair, and untrue.

bellinisurge Sat 06-Jul-19 20:10:51

I agree the abject failure to give basic civil rights opened a box.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 20:18:12

It wasn't just the failure, it was the deliberate removal of rights (such as the right to peacefully protest while allowing Orange walks through nationalist areas) that caused such unrest and ill feeling.

That these nationalists could then find it in themselves to agree to the GFA, with everything they'd endured, only to see it ripped up 21 years later is heartbreaking.

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:21:38

@intheheartoflisbon

But this is MN. Where IRA = bad. Britain = good.

Let them crack on. They have their corner of Ireland now - they can keep it and shove it where the sun don't shine. We're doing very nicely without that particularly orange corner!!!

Isthisafreename Sat 06-Jul-19 20:27:23

An example here of what's going on right now www.thejournal.ie/edenderry-bonfire-margaret-tinsely-dup-4711969-Jul2019/

The DUP defend two of their councillors who posted photos of themselves posing in front of a bonfire that the tricolour was being burnt on.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 20:29:51

Thump I'm fucking dreading this month and I'm only in Lanarkshire! 38 roads closed in Glasgow today to let that mob go for a stroll. Ugh ugh ugh. I fucking loathe the Orange walks.

I can't even imagine how horrific it must be to be Catholic, in the north, this month with their pyres and brutality.

Horrendous.

Inniu Sat 06-Jul-19 20:31:23

I was trying to explain internment in Northern Ireland to my teens last night. They were stunned and baffled. They refused to believe in the 1970s people could be locked up in prison camps without being charged or tried, subject to cruel and degrading treatment by the state simply for being catholic and living in a nationalist area.

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:31:52

@Isthisafreename And this is why there will not be a UI in my lifetime. Who wants that sort of shite? Gobshites - the lot of them.
They can shove NI as far up their constricted holes as they wish - I certainly won't be voting for a UI! Hell no! You're grand where yis are lads!

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:36:12

If you were to personify the whole situation, it's a bit like a child who was snatched and went to live with a 'loving' couple. The child now suffers from Stockholm syndrome and loves its new 'parents'. The 'snatcher' hasn't been punished but allows the child to see their real parents once in a while.

Is it any wonder they're fucked up in NI?

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:38:03

Inniu - it's heartening that your teens CAN'T believe that happened. That's progress.

Isthisafreename Sat 06-Jul-19 20:38:32

British policy and actions in the 70's and 80's did more to recruit members to the IRA than anything else. I used to wonder was Margaret Thatcher a secret IRA member as she was such an effective recruitment officer for them.

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:42:35

Ah good old Maggie. What a legacy.

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 20:45:27

British like to peddle the notion that the IRA was founded in a vacuum. That they were nefarious, murderous, villainous thugs. They never asked why the IRA was formed, why it persisted, why people joined it, why people supported it and why it existed at all! apart from Irish people being terrorists of course - that they never fail to cite

EstherMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 06-Jul-19 20:58:57

Evening all,
Just popping in to say we've read this thread, hopefully deleted anything that breaks our Talk Guidelines (please let us know by hitting 'report' above the post if we haven't), and urge everyone to keep the discussion respectful.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 21:03:12

Inniu it should be unbelievable shouldn't it? It should never have happened. But it did, at the behest of the British government, now expecting concessions and support from the very people they oppressed less than 50 years ago.

Thump Sat 06-Jul-19 21:28:11

Well that's the last I'm commenting. Someone reports you and MN just delete you. Fuck that shit.

Good luck to ye NI. Not going to get banned over ye!

Beforetimebegan Sat 06-Jul-19 21:36:24

@Thump, can’t think why shock maybe hate speech?

TalkinAboutManetManet Sat 06-Jul-19 21:52:04

@Thump MN is famously racist against the Irish, unfortunately. A lot of Irish members have left over it.

InTheHeatofLisbon Sat 06-Jul-19 23:25:45

Wait what did Thump get deleted for?

SolitudeIsGreat Sun 07-Jul-19 15:07:27

InTheHeatOfLisbon I assume she/he was deleted for offending half of the people who live in Northern Ireland. We don't tend to react well when people who don't actually live here think they know more about it than people who do live here!

InTheHeatofLisbon Sun 07-Jul-19 15:10:38

Fair enough I hadn't seen that, I was curious as to what had been bad enough to get deleted and that answers it @SolitudeIsGreat.

Peregrina Sun 07-Jul-19 16:56:41

Why was A50 triggered so quickly without any need to do so?

Because Theresa May was too busy appeasing the ERG. Who have now destroyed her PMship.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »