Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone on here a Tory party member?

(56 Posts)
EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 07:52:20

If so, will you be voting for Johnson or Hunt?

My friends and colleagues are all debating this but none of us are Tory party members so we wont have any say. I then realised I dont actually know any Tory party members to ask them.

So if there are any on here please can you tell us who gets your vote.

The80sweregreat Wed 26-Jun-19 09:13:18

I don't know anyone but am place marking as I'm interested in their views on this.
Will it be ' mr smooth' or bus modelling Boris.

Coppersulphate Wed 26-Jun-19 09:21:29

I am a Party member. I will probably vote for Boris but I have not finally decided.
I would have preferred Michael Gove.
My daughter is moving towards Hunt but is a Brexiteer so will probably go for Boris.

I am under 65, female and educated to masters level and in a professional role.

ifonly4 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:58:07

Interesting thread. Can we respect people's choices in the hope more answer and we can a better feel for which way things might go.

curiositycreature Wed 26-Jun-19 11:00:19

@Coppersulphate can you tell us more about why? I’m just curious really, I’ve got not preconceived ideas. As PP said, hoping your opinion is respected.

The80sweregreat Wed 26-Jun-19 11:29:30

I do not know anyone who has a vote but I do live close to a conservative club and I imagine a few people living around me will be voting. I discuss it at work sometimes. A few people are interested but many are not.

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 15:26:20

I'm interested as the people with the final say are not ones I know.

Normally I wouldn't be particularly interested in who is becoming the next Tory party leader/Prime Minister but in this case it will make a huge difference.

I dont want this thread to be detailed by Johnson or Hunt bashing, I would really like know what those with a vote think.

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 15:26:57

Oh and thank you @CopperSulphate for being so candid

Whackaguacamole Wed 26-Jun-19 15:34:06

My DF is and is going for the "anyone but boris" approach. He wanted Rory apparently which surprised me as he's getting gammony as he ages

ticking Wed 26-Jun-19 15:52:08

I'm a member and so is Dh

Both will vote for Hunt

ticking Wed 26-Jun-19 15:53:25

I think though it'll be a certainty for Boris, provided he doesn't muck it up between now and the vote like Angela Leadsom did!

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 16:09:49

I thought there had been entryism by UKIP on such a scale that it wasn't even worth Hunt and Johnson debating? He can pretty much do and say anything and he'll be elected, won't be?

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 16:10:48

*he
Isn't it what polls suggest?

The80sweregreat Wed 26-Jun-19 16:26:11

Would someone normally affiliated to UKip then be able to join the Conservatives? Wouldn't they check first ? ( this would have been done months ago) how does it work with joining, can anyone join? Do you have to be nominated first? I've no idea at all.
I am guessing that people who agree with the ERG would more likely to vote for Boris.
I can see him winning , but I think it will be close going by these threads.

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 16:34:03

Normally they shouldn't have been able to join, but they were encouraged to by Banks in an explicit online recruitment drive, and the Tory members responsible for checking turned a blind eye, being Brexiteers themselves.

StitchingMoss Wed 26-Jun-19 16:37:14

@ticking, what does he have to do to “muck it up” though? He’s been proved to be one of the most loathsome, vile, Machiavellian, and frankly appalling politicians ever to grace the UK yet there is an educated poster on here prepared to vote for him.

The mind truly boggles sad

otterturk Wed 26-Jun-19 16:40:02

I'm a member. Boris through gritted teeth.i wanted Gove. Hunt is too middle management Theresa May 2.0

Doublechocolatetiffin Wed 26-Jun-19 16:41:30

I am a member (maybe I should have name changed before admitting that!) I have no idea who I’ll vote for as yet. I joined 3 months ago, so actually only just getting a vote as you have to be a member for 3 months. This was in response to our local conservative branch being infiltrated by UKIP and trying to oust our very good local conservative MP (who coincidentally votes in a very non conservative way when it comes to Brexit). I really liked him so joined because I wanted to be able to support him when it mattered, I also thought the likelihood of there being a leadership contest would be high and wanted to be in a position to vote on our next PM.

I’m disappointed with the choice before me, probably leaning towards Hunt as he seems to have a fractionally better moral compass, but will be listening in and attending the hustings if I can to get a better understanding of what they have planned.

otterturk Wed 26-Jun-19 16:41:45

@fawful no you have to have been a member for over three months. Entryism unlikely unlike the Trots who voted for Corbyn

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 16:49:37

Banks' recruitment drive was last year, they knew a change of leader was happening sooner or later..

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 16:56:04

September 2018 in the FT:

'For observers of British politics, the so-called silly season that characterises the summer months has been brought to a close by the story that a former Ukip donor and his band of Eurosceptic followers are trying to infiltrate the governing Conservative party. Yet the move appears to be more strategic than silly.
In recent weeks, Arron Banks and Andy Wigmore, close associates of Nigel Farage, have concluded that the only way to overturn Theresa May’s Chequers proposals for a softer Brexit is to instruct their Leave.EU network to join local Conservative associations, attend meetings and then vote for any genuine Brexiter who makes it on to the ballot in a future Conservative leadership election. They have branded the exercise “Operation Unite the Right”.'

MeganBacon Wed 26-Jun-19 17:12:34

I am. Through gritted teeth, Boris. He is the only one who can prevent a Corbyn government and that would be far worse than brexit or no brexit. He can’t do detail but he will have people working for him who can. I’m not interested in his private life - Clinton was a good president but serially unfaithful. That’s a private matter and i’m Ok separating the two. But it pains me hugely because I only joined so I could vote against him.

StitchingMoss Wed 26-Jun-19 17:15:39

Wow. I’m terrified by some of these replies. I’m no Corbyn fan but Johnson frightens me. He’s a nasty piece of work.

And women turning a blind eye to his private life stagger me too. His views on women rival that of Trump.

What the fuck have we become in this country? They say you get the government you deserve and fuck me we do.

Timeforachangeofscenery Wed 26-Jun-19 17:20:29

Just passed my 3 month threshold so it will be Boris for me as Hunt is just Theresa mark 2 in trousers. If Boris fails to deliver the Conservatives are finished.

StitchingMoss Wed 26-Jun-19 17:22:23

@Timeforachangeofscenery, that’s what I’m hoping! Boris can’t deliver because what he’s promised is undeliverable! The Tories will implode and will be gone forever! Hurrah!!!

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 17:28:27

That's interesting @DoubleChocolateMuffin.

ifonly4 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:39:05

No judgements please. We want tory members to feel comfortable with their answers{smile]

Timeforachangeofscenery Wed 26-Jun-19 17:42:42

@Stitchingmoss, the poster asked for opinions from people who could vote as they were genuinely interested. They also asked for this not to be turned into a Hunt/Johnson bashing and yet you’ve decided to ignore and do exactly that sad

Peregrina Wed 26-Jun-19 17:47:15

Why would Corbyn be worse than Brexit or No Brexit? He would deliver a form of Brexit, which would be as good as anyone's because no one has yet fully defined what it should be.

Fawful Wed 26-Jun-19 17:48:08

On this thread alone, most people who have answered have joined the party this year. I think that says everything we need to know about entryism.
Well played Leave.EU once more...
So in the end the leader of the conservatives is not even being elected by conservatives. Talk about democracy.
Johnson was sacked from a newspaper job for lying, you'd think that should make it hard for him to get any job. 'British values', eh?

MeganBacon Wed 26-Jun-19 17:50:19

Because delivering a far left government would have a worse impact on the economy than any impact Brexit could have irrespective of how you Brexit (or not).

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 18:03:11

I didn't ask whether a Labour government would be better than a Tory one. I just want to know who those who will be voting on the next Prime Minister are supporting? Ie Tory party members.

Thanks to those of you who have replied frankly.

I know the media thinks that Boris will.win, and I have my own views on whether that's a good thing, but I'm wondering whether that really will be the case.

Peregrina Wed 26-Jun-19 18:11:42

Is Corbyn Far left? I would have said, leftish, but mostly promoting the sort of mixed economy that we used to have. But anyway, he's not a Tory, so it's irrelevant.

I do question whether Johnson could prevent a Corbyn Government. If Johnson loses a vote of Confidence - what happens? The next biggest party tries to form a Government and failing that a GE. As the one who appears steadier, I think Hunt is the one who would stop Corbyn getting a chance.

The80sweregreat Wed 26-Jun-19 18:11:54

If I had a vote , I'd go for J H as he seems a bit more level headed.
If I were a Conservative member I would be annoyed it was only between those two.
I think a few won't bother and spoil their votes (heard someone on lbc say this and he sounded pretty genuine)

cambozoly Wed 26-Jun-19 18:13:56

I have been a Tory member for 10 years. I will vote for Johnson because I like him and I think he is our best hope for leaving the EU.

I don't think it's likely we will Brexit, considering all the vested interests - and MPs - that are against it. But Boris is much more likely to succeed than Hunt.

Not at all bothered by his private life.

NoBaggyPants Wed 26-Jun-19 18:23:40

@otterturk To vote in the Labour leadership contest you had to have been a party member for six months, so twice as long as the Conservative leadership contest.

I doubt you even know what Trotskyism is.

donquixotedelamancha Wed 26-Jun-19 18:24:06

what does he have to do to “muck it up” though? He’s been proved to be one of the most loathsome, vile, Machiavellian, and frankly appalling politicians ever to grace the UK

Boris is running for leadership of the Conservative Party. You have just described why he has a 30% lead, not things that would stop him winning.

NoBaggyPants Wed 26-Jun-19 18:24:39

For those voting for Johnson, are you not concerned about his Islamophobic views? Or his stance on historic child abuse?

topcat2014 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:48:10

I joined last year. There is no way on god's earth I would vote for Boris Johnson because of Nazanin Zagari Ratcliffe.

So looks like Jeremy Hunt.

Would have liked it to be Rory Stuart

Peregrina Wed 26-Jun-19 20:43:09

Save Rory Stewart for rebuilding the party when Johnson or Hunt have completely wrecked it.

MadMum2015 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:24:34

Yes I'm a member, I re-joined last year as there was clear Kipper entryism going on so wanted to work against it. Neither of the final 2 candidates are who I wanted (Rory 1, Saj 2) but I will vote for Hunt. The Tories are in a crazy situation of losing votes on both their left and right and in that sense Johnson is probably the better of the two because Hunt isn't centrist enough to win back the moderates from the Lib Dems (whereas Rory may well have done) but Johnson may just be Brexity enough to win back some from the Brexit Party. I know there are many members who are voting for Johnson through gritted teeth for this reason alone. However, I'm aware (pomposity alert) that it's a responsibility to elect a PM, even if it's likely they'll only be in office for a short time. On that basis, Hunt is a more serious, harder-working and generally more sensible person than Johnson, so he'll get my vote.

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 26-Jun-19 21:40:51

Thank you @MadMum. You're right that it's a big responsibility to elect a prime minister which is why it seems so odd to.me that I dont know anyone in RL who will have a vote. That probably says more about my narrow social circle than anything else!

Coppersulphate Wed 26-Jun-19 22:04:34

I have now decided I will definitely vote for Boris because I don't trust Jeremy Hunt to get us out of the EU.
Hunt is a remainer at heart so I am wary.
And yes, I think Boris could prevent a Corbyn government.
Most members I know will vote for Boris.
I have been a member for several years

Doubletrouble99 Thu 27-Jun-19 00:43:21

I'm a member and have been for a couple of years. I don't want to vote for either of them. As a Scottish conservative I can't tolerate Boris, he is a total idiot and I can't stand politicians who won't answer a question. I was in the park where the infamous zip wire photo was taken the day before. Guess what, there were a load of minions trying out the zip wire and making sure it would stop where they wanted it to!! SO all staged, god knows why. Why would any politician think it a great idea to make a foul of themselves especially as it now transpires he has wanted to be PM for years.
Hunt is far too like May so the EU won't give him any more concessions as they can see right through him and know full well he won't no deal.
I'm lucky in that I'm on holiday and can't vote so this decision has been taken out of my hands!

placemats Thu 27-Jun-19 08:16:00

I was going to join the party in January, but got cold feet. Wish I had now. I would vote for J H but I would be deeply disappointed at the choice. Rory Stewart would have been better.

If Max Hastings says Johnson is unfit for public office it tells you all you need to know. I already know this anyway.

If the Conservative Party start to implode, I believe that ditching the Union will be considered to save it. Nature abhors a vacuum and this is particularly so in politics. The Brexit Party will rise on the back of a Conservative Party collapse. Labour will never be in power again. Nor will the Lib Dems, who are really Tories in disguise.

Eyewhisker Thu 27-Jun-19 14:28:28

I joined this year as I wanted a say in who the PM is. I’ll vote for Hunt because Johnson is a bit of a shit who doesn’t care what wreckage he leaves behind.

gutrotweins Thu 27-Jun-19 20:02:03

Eyewhisker
But Hunt said, "If there isn't and if no deal is still on the table I've been very clear. I will leave the European Union without a deal. But I'm not going to do that if there's a prospect of a better deal and if I did it it would be with a heavy heart because businesses up and down the country would face a lot of destruction."

Doesn't look like Hunt cares too much about the wreckage either.

What a choice! I don't envy you!

OublietteBravo Sun 30-Jun-19 09:57:59

I joined this year - because I could see a leadership contest brewing and wanted a vote. (I’ve just made it past 3 months membership, so I’m eligible to vote). I don’t want either of them (my preference was Lovely-for-a-Tory Rory), but I’ll vote against Boris.

ifonly4 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:11:21

Just been going through this thread. It's roughly 50/50 at the moment, very close to the Brexit result!

Asdf12345 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:20:56

Johnson. He has the best chance of uniting enough of the country behind a Brexit plan (unity behind any plan will Ben preferable to the no plan at present), and the best chance of winning a general election.

As much as I would personally like a more central Conservative party more votes will be lost to the right than the left, and Corbyn is too far left for me to consider jumping ship.

SalrycLuxx Mon 01-Jul-19 11:33:41

I used to be. Quit when TM told me I was a citizen of nowhere.

I would vote for Boris though. If I still had a vote.

PerkingFaintly Mon 01-Jul-19 11:47:45

I was in the park where the infamous zip wire photo was taken the day before. Guess what, there were a load of minions trying out the zip wire and making sure it would stop where they wanted it to!! SO all staged

That would astonish me Doubletrouble99... except I've recently read the same thing about Johnson's "off the cuff", "bumbling" speeches.

Turns out he has a canned speech which he delivers time after time, in which he pretends to have forgotten to prepare a speech and to be ad libbing.

Johnson's working very hard to present a fake front.

viccat Mon 01-Jul-19 11:57:12

Yes, been a member for a few years. Hunt all the way but would have voted for anyone who isn't Boris. Actually considering cutting up my membership card and leaving the party if Boris wins.

Totally appalled at the state of politics in general at the moment though; I'm a remainer and feel Brexit is going to be extremely damaging.

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 01-Jul-19 19:19:08

Thanks everyone for being so honest. As a left-winger who doesn't have any friends who are Tory party members (or not that they are admitting to!) This is really interesting. It's all very well for me and my friends to discuss who we think should be PM out of Hunt and Johnson, but it's not people like us who will decide.

I'm.really glad this hasn't descended into a slanging match either. I think that whatever peoples political differences, it's important to acknowledge that we all have the right to Express them I'm very tired of the Brexit threads starting out well and then ending in a bunfight.

Iggly Mon 01-Jul-19 19:23:58

Boris isn’t actually a staunch brexiteer.

He was flip flopping about which one to punt for - he’s chosen Brexit because it’s the best way for him to make PM.

So I’m not sure why people think he’s that wedded to the idea.

He had the chance in cabinet to drive Brexit and he did fuck all to make it happen!

Coppersulphate Mon 01-Jul-19 21:23:16

And thank you Emma for respecting people's views. I really appreciate it.
We should be civilised enough to discuss matters without being nasty. I respect you for ensuring that this happened on this thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »