Page 4 | Democracy???

(91 Posts)
nooddsocksforme Tue 25-Jun-19 19:34:17

It seems unbelievable to me that either Hunt or Boris could be our next pm. For all those people who say a second referendum is undemocratic , what about the fact that who is the next Pm, and will potentially allow us to leave with no deal, will be decided by a group of entitled and self interested Tory voters. There is no democracy in evidence there.
The backstop is a huge issue but everyone seems to have forgotten about Scotland. The current debacle , which shows Tory politicians more interested in their own agendas than the future of this country, and a non existent opposition party , will inevitably lead to Scottish independence in my opinion. Scotland voted to remain, and has no time for this self serving , entitled attitude to government.
Will there then be a hard border between England and Scotland. Where will Ireland’s loyalty’s lie. Will England become increasing isolated and xenophobic

OP’s posts: |
timeforakinderworld Tue 02-Jul-19 16:54:55

Has it made me ill?
Oh for goodness sake, it's not about whether it personally makes you I'll you know. We are talking about long term health consequences for everyone not about your digestion. Maybe actually read up about it before making inane comments?

BackInTime Tue 02-Jul-19 16:56:07

@LifeContinues I'm not sure that those who voted largely because of immigration issues and for reasons implied by the 'Breaking Point' poster campaign are aware that future trade deals depend on Visas for countries like India.

Peregrina Tue 02-Jul-19 17:14:47

No issues with that. I have worked in India several times I can vouch for their ability.

You may not, but how many of the 17.5 million Leavers do you speak for? The man who has just been fined and ordered to do community service for telling a black Briton serving him in a betting shop that 'You will be gone when Brexit happens', would almost certainly not agree with you. If he is discomfited by more black and brown skin people arriving then 'tough luck, this is what your anti-immigrant vote has brought about' is all I could say to him.

LifeContinues Tue 02-Jul-19 17:40:06

We are talking about long term health consequences for everyone not about your digestion

Has USA developed long term illness from the food they eat? Has Australia developed long term illness from the beef they eat? EU has raised the bar on standards to keep cheaper alternatives off the shelves to protect their cartel and the profits.

1tisILeClerc Tue 02-Jul-19 17:49:38

{EU has raised the bar on standards to keep cheaper alternatives off the shelves to protect their cartel and the profits.}
That is rather a cynical view. A 'race to the bottom' is not one to be admired, but a system where the animals are treated well (as long as possible given their usual quick demise), the farmers are paid fairly, and the minimum of damaging pesticides/antibiotics are used is all to be commended. If you don't establish and uphold minimum standards the results can be varied and usually unpleasant. Intensive farming has always thrown up problems with salt killing crops in the USA, ripping out trees encouraging wind stripping topsoil, and so on. Many 'Westerners' consume about double the calories they actually need, especially if they have a sedentary lifestyle, and combined with unnecessary wastage, the planet cannot afford to keep giving.

Peregrina Tue 02-Jul-19 18:38:42

Has USA developed long term illness from the food they eat?

For a developed wealthy country the answer is yes. Look at the problems they have with obesity as one example. See also their infant mortality rates
www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/infant-mortality-u-s-compare-countries/#item-infant-mortality-higher-u-s-comparable-countries

lljkk Tue 02-Jul-19 18:50:03

From the Leave Poster-Boy.

timeforakinderworld Tue 02-Jul-19 19:07:26

Has USA developed long term illness from the food they eat?
Peregrina beat me to it but YES.

Peregrina Tue 02-Jul-19 19:11:44

The UK is going the same way, I believe that the latest figures show a rise in infant mortality. This strongly correlates to the health of the nation.

LifeContinues Wed 03-Jul-19 00:42:13

The obesity issue in USA is attributable to the quantity of what people eat and the cheap fast food that is everywhere. Lifestyle choice as opposed to the food being inherently unhealthy. Go to California where they all want to be Hollywood stars it is very different to the rest of USA

timeforakinderworld Wed 03-Jul-19 15:40:29

It's not just obesity. Antibiotic resistance is one of the most serious threats to human health we are currently facing and US cattle are pumped full of them - up to 16 times as much as EU raised animals. You need to look at the whole longterm picture not just the effect it had on you on holiday. confused

Peregrina Wed 03-Jul-19 19:56:58

Antibiotic resistence yes, and sadly one which was predicted.

Mistigri Wed 03-Jul-19 20:17:13

*Has USA developed long term illness from the food they eat?*

US life expectancy is falling quite dramatically in people my age or a bit older. Obviously a lot of this is due to other factors (prescription drug abuse, inability to access preventative healthcare) but diet will play quite a big role in this.

LifeContinues Thu 04-Jul-19 04:02:44

You need to look at the whole longterm picture not just the effect it had on you on holiday

About 30% of the World population is obese. The spread of Western fast food is considered to be the cause along with reduced physical activity.

Are all fast foods sold around the World pumped with Antibiotics or Hormone treated?

Peregrina Thu 04-Jul-19 10:19:43

I don't know the answer about fast foods globally being pumped with antibiotics but at a guess I would suspect significant numbers are.

I have read of concerns about the overuse of agricultural antibiotics in China, for example.

bellinisurge Thu 04-Jul-19 10:33:13

"^Has USA developed long term illness from the food they eat?^"

I'm in a number of US based Facebook homesteading groups. The number of times they message the group (nationwide groups, btw) with media reports of infected mass produced meat or contaminated mass produced veg is shocking.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in