Talk

Advanced search

If the EU referendum result had been .........

(30 Posts)
waltzingparrot Sat 22-Jun-19 09:13:04

stronger, I.e 60% leave, 40% remain

Do you think we would be in a different situation now?

The EU wouldn't have given us a better deal would they?
Parliament would still have 75% remain MPs

Peregrina Sun 23-Jun-19 16:57:59

I have a friend who voted Remain. She now thinks she would vote Leave to 'get it over with'. It won't be 'got over with', that will just be the start. She worked in Scientific research (just retired) and I am minded to tell her that her old department will close, most staff were EU staff and that research won't now be done in the UK. Is that the sort of get it over that she wants?

1tisILeClerc Sun 23-Jun-19 17:09:00

I think 'get it over with' is the wrong expression to use.
Decide and progress is probably better, or something like that. There is an incredible amount of time wasting going on, for example the choice is Boris or Hunt (unless something else happens) so why are we waiting another 3(?) weeks? The public aren't getting to vote, and the Con members know who they both are.

bellinisurge Mon 24-Jun-19 06:44:42

If people had wanted Leave MPs in the last election, they should have paid a bit more attention to how our sovereign parliament works and voted for nutters like UKIP just to be sure. They didn't.

Peregrina Mon 24-Jun-19 08:19:27

Quite, bellini, and this 80% voted for parties which support Leave gets me. 80% voted for two parties, neither of which won, so neither Brexit Manifesto had sufficient support. UKIP's vote collapsed at the GE. It ought to have told the Politicians and the media something, although it appears not to have done.

Besides which in GEs people vote on many issues.

LifeContinues Mon 01-Jul-19 06:09:40

Besides which in GEs people vote on many issues

In the past yes, but as Brexit has been the only debated subject over the last two years other issues are being pushed to the back of the queue.

The result of 2016 was a surprise, but still a result. Possible that those who voted leave being labelled as stupid has strengthened their resolve to support leave?

The Brexit party coming from nowhere to top the EU elections in a matter of weeks and to be either ahead or joint top in the opinion polls (depending on which polls you read) suggests that Brexit is what UK wants.

If there was a GE this year my guess would be that UK would end up with a coalition government made up of Brexit Party and Conservatives.

Can't see a coalition being formed between; Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, Change UK, etc., just to keep Brexit out?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »