Talk

Advanced search

I'm not afraid to admit I'm terrified

(405 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:07:11

I really am. It feels like we're hurtling towards no deal Brexit with a coward and idiot at the helm who couldnt organise a booze up in a brewery.
What are we heading for? Huge economic crash? War?

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:08:08

And please don't tell me to stop watching the news. If you'd rather live in blissful ignorance like lambs to the slaughter that's your look out. I want to know as much as I can about what is going on.

Southwestten Sun 26-May-19 22:08:18

War against whom?

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:08:57

I haven’t a clue. Fucking nightmare. Shall we buy a small island somewhere? No fuckwits or idiots allowed? sad

Ivegotthree Sun 26-May-19 22:09:03

Have a glass of wine and maybe a shag.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:09:39

Wolfoe I suspect I'm an idiot but can I join you anyway.
Why the hell should I have a glass of wine and a shag?

DockerDre Sun 26-May-19 22:09:44

Don't be dramatic.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:10:41

As I predicted.

DockerDre Sun 26-May-19 22:10:44

You sound like the little red hen

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:11:09

Forget this. Stick your heads back in the sand. I've had enough.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:11:38

Do you have anything to contribute or are you just poking fun?

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:12:09

Stealth I too may have idiotic tendencies. It’s fine!
Oh and I’m having wine. It doesn’t make me despair less at the bloody shitstorm that our politicians have led us into.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:12:53

I should have known, fuck it I did know the thread would go like this. Forget it. I fancied discussing it with grown ups but there aren't many about. Let's leave this here.

slipperywhensparticus Sun 26-May-19 22:13:39

I get you I poked my head over the parapet just in time to see Teresa may resign and everyone saying boris Johnson is tipped to take over 💩🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:13:42

Thanks wolfie. See you on more sensible threads.

DockerDre Sun 26-May-19 22:14:19

In all seriousness, being terrified that we're heading towards war is a little bit insane...........

DockerDre Sun 26-May-19 22:15:20

Haha, sensible threads. Maybe don't start a nonsensical hysterical one.

DinkyTie Sun 26-May-19 22:15:22

We left the UK last year because as immigrants I said to dh I'm done. I applied for citizenship 2 weeks before the referendum. I was fucking gutted.

We are in Aus watching it from afar but dh's family are in Ireland and I'm furious on their behalf. The UK may be fine after Brexit but it has shit on all its neighbours from a great height and that's unforgivable imo.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:15:45

OK. Thanks very much for the input.

Ivegotthree Sun 26-May-19 22:16:13

You don't sound entirely balanced, OP. I thought my suggestions might relax you.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:16:17

Oh ha ha yourself. If you are only on here to stir shit then why not do it elsewhere. Seriously.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 26-May-19 22:16:25

Also very scared here. I don't know what to do to make things better.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:16:36

Grow the fuck up

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:17:06

We also have relatives not on this side of the water.
Stealth pm me about the island.
(Not really. That’s stalkerish!!) grin

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:18:16

Dinky I agree. We have stuck two fingers up to our allies and are skipping merrily into the arms of that little weasel, trump.
And people are calling me unhinged.
Our neighbours, French and setting up life here as of 2015 have also giben up and gone back. For some reason they felt unwelcome.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:19:32

Wolfie I've just gone to pm you and as well as the usual 'report' etc options there's an option that says 'bottom'. I am dying to click and see what it does. If you suddenly get awful piles, it's my fault.

DippyAvocado Sun 26-May-19 22:19:58

I think tonight's results are likely to cement the fact that the country is still completely split down the middle over the issue of Brexit. Nobody is going to be able to find a compromise at this point.

Really we should just take the emotion out of it and revoke Article 50 on economic grounds but I posted on another thread that hardcore leavers won't accept that Brexit will be an economic disaster until it happens. The emotions are too entrenched by now. I feel a second referendum will be necessary but still too close to definitively settle the matter.

The whole fiasco is crippling our parliamentary system so nothing is getting done.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:20:10

It took me to the bottom of the page. Nothing to do with your post. How disappointing.
How's the arse?

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:20:33

Stealth if you give me piles I will do far worse than Boris you. grin

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:20:49

If you want a second opinion drop your trousers and show it to a former London mayor.

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:21:58

Trust me. The EU will happily send us packing with no fucking deal at all if I start dropping my trousers. grin

averylongtimeago Sun 26-May-19 22:21:57

Stealth you are not alone in how you feel. I am also afraid of what is happening- the rise of far right politics, curbs to free speech, loss of freedoms we take for granted.

And a bunch of self serving hypocrites in charge.

Dockray Sun 26-May-19 22:24:40

I'm scared stiff as well. Between Brexshit and climate change I seriously wonder what future my kids will have.

Etino Sun 26-May-19 22:25:24

sad urgh

Wolfiefan Sun 26-May-19 22:25:41

I’m watching Chernobyl. Makes me think we aren’t quite in such dire straits. sad

BishopofBathandWells Sun 26-May-19 22:25:51

You're not alone OP, I too feel really worried for the future. I suspect I'd give less of a shit if I hadn't had my DD a year ago, because I'd only have myself to look out for, but the future looks quite bleak at the moment and I worry what it's going to be like for her.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:26:53

I think the economic downturn we're about to have will overshadow 2008 and will last until my children are about my age now.
With the associated risk in mental ill health and suicide, poverty, misery and yes, war.

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:28:44

I watched the 2 episodes of storyville about brexit from the EU perspective. The tory government is a complete and utter joke. As a Scot, I'm just hoping for independence.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:28:53

And on that cheery note

Dockray Sun 26-May-19 22:30:22

2 seats for brexit in the NE. sad

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:30:57

Oh goodie that's where I am. And bloody Nissan.

tinytemper66 Sun 26-May-19 22:31:04

I can't believe that Cardiff and Pembroke have voted for the Brexit party!

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:31:32

Turkeys. Fucking turkeys. Pretty much plucking and basting themselves

anthisan Sun 26-May-19 22:31:34

Stealth I'm with you, really scared and depressed.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:33:41

Oh a glass of wine and a shag is all you need. Says someone whose interests do not extend beyond the end of their own nose.

Dockray Sun 26-May-19 22:33:48

Yup. The no deal brexit predictions for the NE were dire for the economy.

Antigonads Sun 26-May-19 22:34:31

Who are we going to war with?

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:34:33

Well the unemployment will give them plenty of time to sit and admire their blue passports. That they won't be able to afford to use.

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:34:54

I can't understand the working classes voting en masse for brexit. I don't know anyone who voted for brexit here in Glasgow. Why someone on min wage like me would think the tories are out to help them with brexit is beyond me.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:35:14

Do you not agree that war often follows time of political and economic uncertainty?

Gronky Sun 26-May-19 22:35:48

I think the economic downturn we're about to have will overshadow 2008

In what specific areas? For example: lending, house prices, exports, value of Sterling, domestic/foreign investor confidence, unemployment, salaries.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:36:14

I'm seriously considering a move to Scotland. I like it here, I don't want to leave. But I think it's going to be increasingly hard.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:36:58

No idea gronky. Not an economist. What are they all predicting, do you know?

Stripyhoglets Sun 26-May-19 22:37:37

I feel like you. People are idiots, racist idiots in some cases but mostly just generally stupid and believe the bullshit spouted - or just ignore it. I've done some money saving and paid off some debt in case things get dodgy for us financially. But I'm trying hard not to think about it too much tbh. Or I'd panic.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:37:47

Because I bloody do and at the time of the referendum, all apart from one crackpot were predicting EU exit being a very bad thing for the economy.
But I'm sure Bob in Sunderland does m ow better

Aspieteach Sun 26-May-19 22:38:03

I find the huge number of votes for the Brexit party really depressing. I'm afraid that we'll crash out with no deal. If that happens, the country is fucked. I worry for my dd's future.

Antigonads Sun 26-May-19 22:38:06

What makes you assume it’s the working classes voting for Brexit.

And still don’t understand who we are going to war with. Unless you mean a Civil War. Which would be interesting.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:40:10

Don't you agree war often follows preiods of huge economic and political unrest.
Well here we go. I can't predict who we'll go to war with. Right now it could be anyone, civil war probably most likely.
I'm sure scoffing will ensue. Have fun.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:41:27

Who has said its the working classes?
It's undoubtedly Sunderland, an area of high poverty. I pick it out as I live nearby.
Am I wrong?

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:42:21

Gronky, are you able to tell me what economists in general are predicting now? Is it good?

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:42:32

Glasgow is great. People are so friendly and we want to remain in the EU. My 3 bed house costs less than 200k, 20 mins walk away from 3rd top secondary school on Scotland. 20 mins drive from an RG uni, so popular on mn....

Rains a lot though

Antigonads Sun 26-May-19 22:42:54

ssd upthread re working class.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:43:19

Oh hang on I think it was Rees mogg (or gove?) who said it'll be hard pw but give it fifty years and it'll all be unicorns and rainbows.
Fan fucking tastic.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:44:08

Ssd I was hoping to be a bit more border y hedging my bets). I love North East England and all my family are here sad

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:45:37

OK. Care to address my comments about war?

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:45:47

I seen a farmer interviewed on Countryfile, saying she was perplexed as she is losing EU subsidies but she voted for brexit as she thought it made her more patriotic

Fucking idiotic more like

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:47:12

She'll be fine on 2068 though. Or dead. Whichever comes first.
Even Mr Pro Brexit says the benefits won't be seen in most of our lifetimes. Most of our children will be retired (if they ever have jobs) before utopia arrives.

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:47:17

The brexit party are winning in Wales, jesus wept there's no helping some folk

RottnestFerry Sun 26-May-19 22:47:28

* I don't know anyone who voted for brexit here in Glasgow*

Two out of every five voters in Scotland voted for Brexit. Surely they can't be that hard to find.

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:48:46

Snp winning in Scotland, we voted against brexit and are doing so again

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:49:00

Nitpick all you like as the cpj try crumbles around you. I'll apologise on ssds behalf for her incorrect comment. Maybe the brexiteers could do the same, or is the 350m per week for the NHS still coming?

ssd Sun 26-May-19 22:49:53

Rottnest, they are all in Aberdeen

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:50:04

Personally i think it'll get swallowed up. But still I can't wait. When's Boris writing Simon Stevens that first cheque?
Oh hang on was it all a pile of shite? You don't say.

Gronky Sun 26-May-19 22:50:28

What are they all predicting, do you know?
Gronky, are you able to tell me what economists in general are predicting now?

Sorry for the delay, I was having a quick brush up because predictions change week to week.

It's extremely hard to predict the extent because it depends on the exact nature of an eventual deal but the primary concerns essentially revolve around reciprocal recognition of certification (both in professional industries and in import/exports) as well as specific tariffs. Considering the cause of the Great Recession, it seems unlikely that they will be in any way comparable simply because the causes and direct implications are radically different.

Personally, I see any major fallout from No Deal as being far less damaging than continuing, repeatedly stalling negotiations because uncertainty is far more damaging to international trade and investment. I think you'd be hard pressed to find even the most hard nosed Brexiteer who regards No Deal as anything but a temporary position to take to allow for more effective negotiations by removing the illusion that Article 50 can be cancelled.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:50:41

Maybe by 2068 they'll have saved p 350m for the NHS. Joy and happiness.

Adamcgrathagain Sun 26-May-19 22:50:58

I think it’s losing the NHS which scares me the most. Or maybe when I think about how shafted my kids will be. Or other people’s kids who aren’t as lucky as us and already live in poverty. Or the rise of far right populism akin to 1930s Germany.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:52:26

Last November the government's own economists predicted we would be worse off. But I'm sure you're right. Looking forward to the extra money in my pocket and for the NHS.

Aberforthsgoat Sun 26-May-19 22:53:40

I’m worried too OP, I genuinely cannot believe what’s happening. However I’m not particularly worried about war - we’ve had economic crashes before and they didn’t result in war (unless I’m very much mistaken, if so please correct me!). Although I do think the rise in far right ideologies across Europe is really concerning, it’s like we never learn and are a destructive loop.
I keep clinging to a tiny thread of hope article 50 will still be revoked but tbh, if it was, there would be more trouble society wise I think.
Sorry I’m rambling. Can’t bear to see fucking Farage across all the news.

callmeadoctor Sun 26-May-19 22:56:00

Get a grip!!!!

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:56:29

Grip got. Now engage your brain.

PickleC Sun 26-May-19 22:56:30

I think you have every right to be afraid of the impact of no deal. The likely price increases from the tariffs alone are going to be awful for loads of people. Frustrated that people talk about not wanting to have EU rules applied to us but they very neatly ignore that no deal means we would have WTO rules instead...except there is no say at all over them, no elections or negotiations will affect them. Can't point to any normal countries who just operate under WTO rules because they are meant to be a last resort. So angry not so much at voters but more at those parties lying to them or stoking fear and prejudice .... Farage won't be affected by no deal. Rees Mogg will be fine. But those in unstable jobs, just making ends meet, needing services with many EU workers are all going to face real difficulties.

Readily admit I am remain voter but thats because I work in a uni with plenty of students and colleagues from the EU and its a worry what it means for them. And already know of relatives of friends who are emigrating or waiting to hear if their companies are moving out. Its like a ball of stress in me all the time

cuppycakey Sun 26-May-19 22:57:37

Am also terrified of what lies ahead......

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 22:58:01

What happened to ukip? Didn't they disband with farage in some sort of shame? I can't remember the details. How has he managed to turn this around?

Adamcgrathagain Sun 26-May-19 23:00:41

Oh and I find it shit scary when I realise people agree with and support Farage and think he’s right with his racist crap. It makes me think what I thought was the truth about this country was utter bollocks and that I don’t understand it at all even having lived it here my entire life.

Miljah Sun 26-May-19 23:01:14

I'm genuinely worried.

I really, really with my DSs weren't the ages they are, 18/20, but were either 10/12 or 22/24.

I so want to sell the house, stick the cash in an Australian bank, and breathe.

I'm far too old to withstand a 30 year downturn.

What I fail to understand is what we hope to gain in, assuming they ever turn up, Brexit MEPs 'disrupting' the EP. The very people we reckon we're going to do Great Deals with, post Brexit.....

Always assuming the EP, after tonight, doesn't end up looking like a Nuremberg rally....

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 23:02:51

Ah now my children. Are ten and twelve and I am worried. I assume the shit economy (as predicted by most economists and the government) will last well up to the point where they're trying to set up careers. I hope I'm wrong.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 23:03:42

But yes yours will be dealing with the immediate effects and uncertainty. I'm sorry sad

Heathcliff27 Sun 26-May-19 23:06:16

Aberdeen here and I don't know anyone who voted for Brexit either, they've obvs different social circles to me 🤷🏼‍♀️ we're all just praying for independence

Blinkingblimey Sun 26-May-19 23:06:27

Dd2 & I walked passed some campaigning Brexiteers the other other day. She asked why/what did they want? I don’t think the old boys were expecting me to say “they’re campaigning for the rise of facism & the far right - their parents will be turning in their graves and their children will have to live with the shame” (that’s assuming we can turn the extremist tide). ANYONE WHO SAYS “GET A GRIP”...how the actual fuck do you think 1930s Germany became the horror of the Nazi party...oh yeh, by idiots saying “chill out, it’ll never happen”..with slightly more historically appropriate wording.
#WAKETHEFUCKUP.

Antigonads Sun 26-May-19 23:06:53

I think people have used this vote as a second referendum hence the vote for Brexit and the Lib Dems.

Isthebigwomanhere Sun 26-May-19 23:07:05

Heading towards war 😂😂😂

EugenesAxe Sun 26-May-19 23:07:24

<Hides> My DH voted remain, but voted Brexit in this vote, as he wants to get it over with. He said if we reverse Brexit we’ll get an awful deal from the EU if we go back in, and that we might as well just get on with it and get rid of the uncertainty.

When Sunderland lost British Steel to ‘Brexit related issues’ I was reminded of the confusion of the ‘Rubber dingy rapids!’ jihadist in Four Lions just before he blew himself up. Both tragic; that area of the UK voted about 70% to leave. Now it seems as though the Government will let them take everything they wished for, and a whole community is shafted as a result.

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-19 23:07:36

I'm glad you find it so amusing. Enjoy every fun filled second.

Cyberworrier Sun 26-May-19 23:09:56

He sort of retired from UKIP (stopped being leader) after EU Ref. Then when UKIP (increasingly) aligned itself with folk like Tommy Robinson, Farage seems to have realised that lots of little Englanders actually aren’t QUITE THAT RW/bigoted, so he had an opportunity to scoop up all the disillusioned lab/con voters and Kippers, and create a new ‘party’.
Apologies for all the quotes and brackets and ennui and existential despair 😩

Miljah Sun 26-May-19 23:10:40

stealth I should have made it clear, my family all have dual citizenship (Aus) but my DSs are 100% culturally British.

Isthebigwomanhere Sun 26-May-19 23:11:17

Can someone please elaborate on the war we are heading for? 😂

Iliveeachday Sun 26-May-19 23:12:36

Op your entitled to be worried and have an opinion, people won't be bothered until the world and government blah blah gets really bad, worse than now , then people might see more clearly that it's actually more fucked than we think

ConfusedDotty Sun 26-May-19 23:12:51

EugenesAxe. Did Sunderland lose British Steel?

Etino Sun 26-May-19 23:14:11

Eurgh to the results 😞
Alistair Campbell on BBC shortly. Emily was great.

Drasticaction Sun 26-May-19 23:14:49

We never learn and we are on a destructive loop.

Agree. Mass forced policitics doesn't work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »