Talk

Advanced search

Westminstenders: One Pepperoni Pizza Please. And a Milkshake To Go.

(987 Posts)
RedToothBrush Wed 22-May-19 21:03:45

On the Eve of the EU Elections that we never met to happen, and we don't know what the next hour next mind day might bring.

Farage is enjoying the theatre of milkshakes. It means he gets attention and gets to play the victim. And avoid talking about his dodgy friends and even dodgier financing. The Brexit Party are polling so highly its possible he could be PM. And boy does he know it. The temptation is there and its too much to resist.

May has refused to resign so far tonight after a day of asking her to. The 1922 Committee refused to change the rules to help oust her - possibly because they don't want the next PM to be beset with challenges to the leadership at the drop of a hat. Graham Brady is seeing her on Friday... The ERG are not happy bunnies.

May is still apparently planning to plough on with the WAB with a referendum possibly attached. Though this remains to be seen.

Meanwhile Leadsom has just quit the Cabinet. She was one of the Brexit 'Pizza Club'. Rumours are this might be the Cabinet withdrawing support for her. Though Gove has said he doesn't intend to resign (tonight at least).

Rumour is that May's senior staff have abandoned her to let her make the decision to go. And rumours are that when Leadsom rang May to tell her she was leaving cabinet, May didn't tell her senior staff. This comes two weeks after rumours where that Phillip May was at the point of telling her it was time to resign. The rumours of course may be just that, rumours but it's hard to see how or why anyone would tell her to carry on now.

And so tomorrow. Who would vote for this utter shower of shit? Even if you were the most loyal of Tories?

The thing tomorrow is to get the remain vote out. It doesn't matter ultimately what people vote for. Every vote cast for remain keeps the Brexit Party popular vote down. Even if it doesn't win seats. And that is psychologically important.

Tomorrow make sure EVERYONE you know who is anti brexit party votes. More so if they are a Remainer voting for a Remain party, but also if they are solid Labour or the rarest of things, a true blue.

It MATTERS. Narratives will be set.

If you are not sure if you are registered to vote, please TRY ANYWAY. The worst case is you are turned away and have lost 20 mins of your life. But you might also be able to vote and that might change the course of events.

Talk to people tomorrow. Remind them. Make sure it's about preventing a hard right foothold. Apathy will destroy our futures. Being fed up of politicians so refusing to vote is actively shooting yourself in the face.

Who am I voting for?

Still no idea. But I will vote.

RedToothBrush Wed 22-May-19 21:05:55

PS. No exit poll tomorrow. Nor results.

Voting in Europe is ongoing until Sunday.

That's when we will hear. Though I suspect there will be unconfirmed rumours on Friday.

bellinisurge Wed 22-May-19 21:11:13

Just had pizza for my tea. A really middle class one with Gorgonzola and pancetta. I find myself escaping into food.

prettybird Wed 22-May-19 21:13:25

Regal cat that know his place: to be worshipped wink

The thing that still makes me so angry is the lies and at best mis truths that are still being propagated. I listened to a female Tory MP last week (says something that I can't narrow down who it was hmm) who was going on about the need for MPs just to get on with leaving because that's what people voted for and that it was Parliament's job to ensure that we left with a deal that wouldn't damage people's livelihoods, that people didn't vote to be worse off, but that they did vote clearly to leave And no, the interviewer didn't challenge her hmm

It. Is. Not. Possible. You. Stupid. Bint. confusedshock

People can vote to live to 150 it to fly or to all be millionaires. Politicians can't deliver the impossible. confused

And it's their - albeit unenviable and they try to avoid it at all costs - job is not to promise the impossible and to make sure that their electorate has realistic expectations. angry

Rant over wink

yolofish Wed 22-May-19 21:15:54

Cant PMK with a milkshake (disgusting stuff) but here's a wine instead.

God knows how we have come to this...

HazardGhost Wed 22-May-19 21:16:26

Ta red I've missed threads and hope your house sale is going well/gone through.

My anxiety keeps yoyo-ing and my food bill is SHOCKING shock

MyOtherProfile Wed 22-May-19 21:17:35

I'm not sure I can bear any more of this. I'm torn between morbid fascination and a desire to bury my head under my pillow and not get up til it's all over.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 22-May-19 21:18:10

PMK.

Thanks, Red.

Mrs May really is digging her heels in now, isn't she? In some situations you'd admire her tenancity, but I'm not sure right now. Even though she's maybe blocking somebody worse (how on earth is that possible?!).

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 21:18:27

Thanks, red 💐
Just getting ever more dangerous, isn't it

Serious possibility of a fascist PM in the UK shock, if the govt collapses and we have a GE soon

Westministenders Abbreviations:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eureferendumm_2016_/3492426-Westministenders-Abbreviation?msgid=84503730

ContinuityError Wed 22-May-19 21:20:11

PMK with cat on hedgehog alert.

OublietteBravo Wed 22-May-19 21:20:19

I will be voting tomorrow. As will DH. In person if he gets back from Mexico in time - although I have a proxy vote for him in case something goes wrong (he has been known to miss connecting flights). I still haven’t decided who to vote for. But it will definitely be a remain party.

AutumnCrow Wed 22-May-19 21:20:33

Hello

Momentous times. Again.

TokyoSushi Wed 22-May-19 21:20:49

PMK, I shall be manning our local polling station tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if we're busy. I'll check in when I can.

What a time to be alive indeed!

ClarkeMurphy Wed 22-May-19 21:21:01

Thanks for the new thread.

I've still not decided who to vote for tomorrow. Definitely voting and have reminded various family to do the same (despite most of us not having voted in EU elections before blush). I'm north west and can't decide between Lib Dem, Green, Change. Did some research on the candidates to help me decide and all the Lab ones are campaigning on a "remain" policy so they're back in the mix, despite JC.

I'm hoping all will suddenly become clear at some point tomorrow.

bellinisurge Wed 22-May-19 21:21:42

Awesome cat @prettybird . Nice image for me to switch off with.

@RedToothBrush . Again a brilliant intro. Thank you.

thethethethethe Wed 22-May-19 21:23:39

So much seems to rest on so few people. Seems strange, in the modern age, that the ambitions and personalities of a tiny number of people can be so important.

TheCaddyisaBaddie Wed 22-May-19 21:26:16

Pmk

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 22-May-19 21:28:01

Voting planned. And checking in from either lurking or more recently taking a much needed break.

I shall ask people if they are voting tomorrow.

RedToothBrush Wed 22-May-19 21:30:18

The Queen Tonight to Philip, "So who do I have to put up with on the 5th June? That awful Donald man, who wants to also invite that awful frog faced man and I might have to tolerate that awful Boris Fellow too. I understand why you retired now".

Iambuffy Wed 22-May-19 21:32:10

Pmk

WhatWouldScoobyDoo Wed 22-May-19 21:35:23

PMK

As far as I can remember I have never missed an opportunity to vote: council, EU, GE, whatever’s available! I really love voting. (I think someone else on here said this too, was it you hazard?)

But I am feeling very anxious about tomorrow. I have a (hopefully ridiculous) feeling that there is a storm coming blush

OhLookHeKickedTheBall Wed 22-May-19 21:38:26

thanks red

OublietteBravo Wed 22-May-19 21:38:34

Here is the Faragit lying his face off in 2016:

BollocksToBrexit Wed 22-May-19 21:38:56

Remember this? Still spot on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfpArApkppo

SusanWalker Wed 22-May-19 21:38:58

I love voting too. But it's always a bit of an anti climax when it takes less than a minute.

Whisky2014 Wed 22-May-19 21:40:56

Pmk. Sunday! Ffs

Ellie56 Wed 22-May-19 21:42:31

Even though she's maybe blocking somebody worse (how on earth is that possible?!).

But it is possible isn't it? She could be blocking loathsome Andrea or Clown Boris.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 22-May-19 21:43:55

Postal votes are even more of an anticlimax! You don't get to experience that church hall smell when you vote at home!

pointythings Wed 22-May-19 21:44:20

Projectile Milk King.

See? You can plaicemat with a milkshake!

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 22-May-19 21:44:23

PMK

Interesting times.

lonelyplanetmum Wed 22-May-19 21:44:32

A despondent mat placed here.

1tisILeClerc Wed 22-May-19 21:44:35

Been watching about Hitler and eugenics. Interesting, frightening and horrible.
Worrying that it is not too far away from where we are with Brexit.
Schoolchildren asked to do family trees in class, then if any family members had particular illnesses they risked being compulsorily sterilised.
The principle ideas were not just from Germany.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 22-May-19 21:45:17

But it is possible isn't it? She could be blocking loathsome Andrea or Clown Boris.

We're in such a mess in this country when we can get worse than the current godawful incumbent. It beggars belief.

BestIsWest Wed 22-May-19 21:46:33

Pmk

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-May-19 21:47:09

I'd normally be helping at a polling station, but I'm working all day. I'm scared that I might accidentally forget to vote. blush

woman19 Wed 22-May-19 21:48:09

Thank you red and all.

Tomorrow make sure EVERYONE you know who is anti brexit party votes

If you are not sure if you are registered to vote, please TRY ANYWAY

Please vote, or try to, and get everyone you know to vote too.

@JolyonMaugham
'Shouting "milkshake" at a Far Right rally' is the new 'Shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre'.

Discuss.

Lookingforpizza Wed 22-May-19 21:48:11

PMK, I took a bit of a break from Brexit but looks like drama is ramping up again so I’ll dive back in. Will be voting Green tomorrow.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Wed 22-May-19 21:49:03

We're in such a mess in this country when we can get worse than the current godawful incumbent

It can always get worse sad

Pmk, thanks for the thread I’ve been busy and have clearly missed loads.

HazardGhost Wed 22-May-19 21:49:58

Scooby yup me...glad I'm not the only one who loves voting days! But agree with susan it's an anti climax until I give myself the warm fussies of having done my civic duties, aren't I good and women fought for this, IM A RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN

The build up to it this time around is even bigger for me because I very literally don't get out much so it'll be a nice trip out.

Must must get a life somehow...but I am learning so much so it has it's swings and round abouts.

yolofish Wed 22-May-19 21:52:41

hazard exactly that about doing your duty and being a GROWN UP! Ours has moved from the Village Hall to the Scout Hut for the EU elections; all our votes are held in the Village Hall, and in a very Brexit area I am suspicious... but will be down there anyway.

HazardGhost Wed 22-May-19 21:52:44

woman shouting milkshake near me would just bring about a very special hazard rendition of Kelis's my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard grin

HazardGhost Wed 22-May-19 21:54:36

yolo embrace the scout the hut perhaps the villiage hall was booked up? Im very envious ours is just in a school.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Wed 22-May-19 21:55:13

Ushouting milkshake near me would just bring about a very special hazard rendition of Kelis's my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard^

grin

TheNorthWestPawsage Wed 22-May-19 22:11:53

pmk

DGRossetti Wed 22-May-19 22:12:42

IrenetheQuaint Wed 22-May-19 22:15:37

confused

RhubarbIsEvil Wed 22-May-19 22:15:52

My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard, my Farage is better than yours.

ContinuityError Wed 22-May-19 22:18:46

My Farage is a lactose intolerant.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:18:50

PMK

Looking cute as if butter wouldn't melt - but that's only when asleep. These two are more dragons than kittens!

woman19 Wed 22-May-19 22:23:58

Are these your new ones mother? They look gorgeous.

Ellie56 Wed 22-May-19 22:24:41

Still laughing at bellinisurge's comment about Loathsome on the other thread.

She's so shit, Theresa May beat her. grin grin

prettybird Wed 22-May-19 22:28:22

One if them looks Siamese mother smile

Both cute grin

borntobequiet Wed 22-May-19 22:30:05

Went out for a meal with family and a new thread! Had to dodge Brexit campaign grannies in shopping precinct today. I can say that because I’m a Remain granny and wouldn’t wear turquoise if you paid me anyway.

PCPlumsTruncheon Wed 22-May-19 22:30:15

Mother They are beautiful. I had 2 litter mate kittens and they always curled up and went to sleep together. Then they started fighting but it was nice while it lasted smile

prettybird Wed 22-May-19 22:30:21

Suggestion for a cat name: Farakit grin

....but not sure I could thole having to call, "Here, Farakit!" hmm

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:31:19

Yes they're my new kittens, woman. Not siamese though pretty, they are very cute, and a bit feisty.

Motherof3feminists Wed 22-May-19 22:32:06

Loathsome quit!!! That made my jaw drop. Interesting and scary times again.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:32:19

PCPlums - oh bless - mine are sisters, and getting on pretty well at the mo, I wonder if it will last.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:34:17

I don't think Loathsome is a great loss , except that she brings the number of minister resignations/ sackings (? have there been any, I can't keep up) to 36.

tobee Wed 22-May-19 22:40:10

🤡

I love voting too. But I always panic afterwards that I had some blackout and put the ^ X^ by the wrong candidate!

FiveAcorns Wed 22-May-19 22:40:44

PMK

magimedi Wed 22-May-19 22:40:47

PMK - will be of to vote tomorrow (SE) & both DH & I will be going for LD.

ContinuityError Wed 22-May-19 22:41:06

My two (not siblings and several years between them) used to curl up together too.

PCPlumsTruncheon Wed 22-May-19 22:43:19

Mother mine were 2 boys and they only started getting aggressive when they were coming up to being neutered. After they had been ‘done’, they were fine.
Enjoy your babies!

Motherof3feminists Wed 22-May-19 22:44:24

I wonder if sales of milkshakes are going up? I for one am funny about milk but I quite fancy a McDonald's milkshake. I think I've only ever had one before. Around 1996 grin I might have to be brave and get one tomorrow (McDonald's gives me mental hives). For drinking, you understand, not malicious purposes. Although my lactose intolerant gut might deem it malicious. Or rather the people exposed to the effects on my gut 💨💨💨💨💨

FiveAcorns Wed 22-May-19 22:45:41

Am getting bombarded by FB ads for Change UK late tonight. Never seen one before.

Fishfingerandcustard Wed 22-May-19 22:46:17

I have been a very appreciative (and now much better informed) lurker for a long time but I have decided to break cover to ask for some help with my voting dilemma tomorrow.

I’m registered in 2 regions (London and East) to vote and wanted to make sure my vote has the most impact. I’m going to vote for the Lib Dems.

I know for the general election there were some calculations about the relative worth of a vote in different constituencies - has anyone seen the same for these elections?

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:49:29

Oh Continuity - so cute.

PCPlums - good to hear. Cats are so lovely when they get on. Although mine are being ninja warriors tonight. Nothing seems to be safe.....

RedToothBrush Wed 22-May-19 22:49:57

Mark Di Stefano @markdistef
The Times reporting Theresa May will announce her resignation tomorrow (Friday).

Violetparis Wed 22-May-19 22:50:41

tobee your post made me smile, I have that panic after voting too smile

HesterThrale Wed 22-May-19 22:52:17

mother it’s more than 36 sackings/ resignations according to the SNP. It’s 43! In 18 months! Utterly shocking.

www.snp.org/just-how-many-ministers-have-been-sacked-or-quit-theresa-mays-government/

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 22:54:56

Wow, Hester - unbelievable. How the woman is still there is incredible, really.

Motherof3feminists Wed 22-May-19 22:55:59

ChangeUk have failed to make any impact for me. It was all exciting at first then a bit of a damp squib. I'll be voting Lib Dem due their strong PV stance. I can't stomach the greens although they are remain. Ld is the lesser evil to make a point.

Icantreachthepretzels Wed 22-May-19 22:58:43

I have a question about the queen's speech in the event of a new PM. I know TM is desperately trying to hold off a queen's speech (longest parliament since the imaginatively named 'long parliament' and all) but if she resigns and another PM takes over - can they keep on putting off the queen's speech and maintaining parliament? Or do they have to have a queen's speech?
Because - if TM will struggle to get a queen's speech passed, I can't imagine any of her successors will do any better. So that would mean a GE ... which they might not win. In fact an awful lot of them might lose their jobs. So whoever succeeds her may not be in role for very long at all.
If TM goes, does that make a GE sort of inevitable? And if this is the case - why would they push it? In the choice between a second ref and a GE - surely a second ref is the safer option? whatever the outcome, their job isn't actually on the line. Heck - if remain wins, the tories can cling on until 2022 and the landscape would be completely different. It could actually be the saving of them.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 22:59:23

They are adorable, snuggling up together, mother
They could never ever be naughty
How old ?

prettybird Wed 22-May-19 23:01:16

Fishfingers - instinctively I'd say vote in the East to try to counter the Purple Party and its odious leaver's Leave influence there, because London should already be majority Remain (going by the 2016 results).

But hopefully someone more knowledgeable/scientific will come along in case I'm wrong wink

Loletta Wed 22-May-19 23:04:21

Couple of Tories describing Leadsome as "formidable" - in a positive way that is hmm

RhubarbIsEvil Wed 22-May-19 23:05:41

Is it possible to send milkshakes to Nigel Farage vis Amazon?

tobee Wed 22-May-19 23:07:14

Maybe deliveroo or just eat @RhubarbIsEvil ?

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 23:09:09

pretzels Queen's Speech is for a new Parliamentary session, not required just by having a new PM

I'd expect the next Tory leader to avoid a GE at all costs, with currrent polls
Iff Tory & DUP MPs support him / her, they can command a majority, so no GE

I don't know if those few Tories, who say they'd never accept Boris, would actually vote to bring down their own govt,
knowing it would decimate their party and let in Farage or Corbyn - and they might lose their own seats

WhatWouldScoobyDoo Wed 22-May-19 23:11:16

tobee and violet now giggling because I have that too. I give myself lots of time in the booth to double-check my X is in the right place.... and still worry afterwards. blush But it does not take away the joy of voting!

Beautiful kittens mother!

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 23:15:15

*Kate McCann*@KateEMcCann

Source says chief whip told 1922 executive that the PM isn’t going anywhere.

Said she is campaigning tomorrow and to focus on elections.
“They accepted that”.

< not for long ! they may want to check if EP results are really as bad as expected, before going all out to topple her >

Rule change was not mentioned in that meeting.

Icantreachthepretzels Wed 22-May-19 23:17:36

Thanks BCF - the new parliamentary session is due to start in June, TM wants to put it off, but could a brand new leader? Is there anything parliament can do to insist that a new session be brought in?

It's not that I think the tories will vote to bring down their own govt - it's that they don't have a majority (with defections, even less than they had in 2017), and with TM gone - and the DUP deal having hit the rocks a long time ago - parliament could still block the speech if the opposition just ... opposes.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 23:28:30

*British politics is broken and about to get a lot worse*

https://capx.co/british-politics-is-broken-and-about-to-get-a-lot-worse/?

That sound you hear is the clattering of tumbrils laden with politicians who long ago exhausted the public’s patience.

These elections to the European Parliament are going to be a massacre; a moment when the inadequacies of both traditional parties are all too evident.

This is going to be ugly and little good can come from any of it.
If you think these past three years have been a miserable time for British politics, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Votes for the Brexit party, like votes for the Liberal Democrats, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Greens, and for Change UK are not just about Brexit.
They should be considered, in all their rainbow glory, a collective howl of despondency;
a national declaration that this should not be as good as it gets, that there must be some any alternatve
It matters little that no one campaigned for a no-deal “WTO” Brexit in 2016.
That was then and this is now.

The Tory party will shortly become if it has not done so yet — the party of no deal too.
That would at least offer a clean, quick, end.
But then so does the guillotine.

“Make it stop” is the order of the day and the public, I suspect, increasingly cares little how it is stopped so long as it ends.
No wonder the centre ground has been hollowed out.

Partisans on all sides define themselves less by their own beliefs than by their opposition to those who do not share those beliefs.
Your victory is very much less important than their defeat.
Anyone who thinks decapitating the Government and starting again will magically produce a solution, or a way out of this maze, is indulging themselves in that most ancient of forlorn hopes: the idea that this is a problem of personnel, not one of policy.

It is not a lack of will that has brought us to this broken place but, instead, the irrefutable logic of the Brexit process itself.

*It is not being done well because it cannot be done well*

There is no perfect Brexit because something has to give.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 22-May-19 23:30:44

Thanks all, I am hugely delighted with them, and they take my mind off this brexit shizz. They are 14 weeks old now, and growing very fast.

But they do have naughty ninja type behaviours that we all adore.

For example this evening. I was just sitting on my chair with my legs up on my footstool type thing, and one of them took out their claws and attacked the underside of my legs.

Apparently the fringe on my blanket attracted them.

Ouch.

But I have no idea which one to spray with my water bottle as they covered up for each other.

They're naughtier than my dragons.

SingingBabooshkaBadly Wed 22-May-19 23:40:29

Thanks Red

I love voting too. But I always panic afterwards that I had some blackout and put the X by the wrong candidate!

Tobees, Violet I thought that was just me! grin. I always have to stand there and stare really hard at my ballot paper after I’ve marked it to make sure I don’t have those post-vote panics!

Slightly alarmed by the number of posters on the last thread saying their DCs can’t see the point in voting. I do hope the young turn out tomorrow. They are so passionate about wanting a PV, I hope they can see the importance of these elections.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 22-May-19 23:43:06

pretzels The govt has sufficient votes to win an NC vote, because the DUP for the moment at least will continue Confidence & Supply

It is only the WA that won't get the votes, because the DUP & many Tories oppose the backstop

Tory MPs won't vote for a GE, which would decimate the party am, probably not even to bring down Boris; neither will the DUP
So the zombie govt may survive for many months, staggering on desperately

The HoC can't really force a new parliamentary session, because they have the power to bloc things, rather than power to force the govt to carry out specific actions

All they can do is try for an NC vote - but no chance unless the DUP and / or some Tories vote against the govt, or abstain.

However, HoC rules mean that the govt can't put off a new session past about October at the latest.
The govt may not even have the votes to postpone it past June, if Tory Brexiters want to push things forward.

Peregrina Wed 22-May-19 23:47:21

Ours has moved from the Village Hall to the Scout Hut for the EU elections; all our votes are held in the Village Hall, and in a very Brexit area I am suspicious...

No, it's because the UK election was called late, so some of the regular polling stations are booked up. It does cost money to hire these places, and if May hadn't been so adamant about not holding the elections, the Local elections could have been held over until tomorrow, thus saving on costs. Which in turn might have helped May and Labour, because the extent of the carnage would not be apparent and the LibDems and Greens would not have been emboldened.

Wouldn't it be delicious when PM Johnson took over and then had to face a GE and went and lost his seat? Would he then be the shortest serving PM in the UK's history? It would be more exciting than the time Portillo lost his seat.

ClarkeMurphy Thu 23-May-19 00:00:53

I know there is reporting restrictions, but when do the votes actually get counted? Presumably they can't tell the candidates before Sunday either cos they'd never be able to keep it all secret.

HazardGhost Thu 23-May-19 00:05:49

fishfingers i'd instinctively go with east as well. Only instinct but London was very pro remain in ref so in theory will be remain leaving in MEPs.

I panicked I put the cross wrong in the ref because the ballot didn't look how I expected and I thought was worded chunkily...I had to Google to reassure myself! I panick less when picking parties but always triple check...and then worry I've taken to long and the polling station volunteers will think I'm up to something so I hurry myself along while trying to look natural. grin

PigletJohn Thu 23-May-19 00:22:56

@RedToothBrush

The Brexit Party are polling so highly its possible he could be PM

You didn't really mean that.... did you?

Votes in today's European elections won't make him a Westminster MP, nor any of his buddies. And certainly not PM.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 23-May-19 00:54:32

piglet It is actually possible he could become PM
It depends very much on when the GE happens / whether the Tory vote collapses - BREX would then basically replace them as the party of the right.

FPTP with 3 or even 4 main parties means a much lower threshold is needed to win a GE than with 2 main parties

He could win an overall majority in the HoC if he gets near 30%
One scenario I posted upthread from the seat predictor gave him an overall majority of 56 in the HoC with just 24%

A Comres Poll found Farage may hang on to 90% of his EP voters at a GE
We won't know until Sunday / Monday how reliably the polls can predict a new large party
and whether the incredibly low Tory predictions ae true

BigChocFrenzy Thu 23-May-19 00:57:22

red obviously means a v high showing in the EP elections could give sufficient momentum to win a GE later

BigChocFrenzy Thu 23-May-19 01:01:45

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eureferendumm_2016_/3588567-Westminstenders-Has-Boris-been-outmanoeuvred-Reprise?pg=

A source in the 1992 Committee of Conservative backbenchers said
*the executive had voted tonight on whether to allow a new confidence vote that could oust Theresa May from premiership.*

*The votes are now sealed in an envelope, and would only be opened if May fails to resign by* ^*10 June*^

There was speculation that May could announce her resignation as early as this Friday 24 May when she will meet Sir Graham Brady, chair of the backbench 1922 Committee,
BBC reports.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 23-May-19 01:04:10

Police have made arrests after anti-racism campaigners were pelted with bricks and eggs following a Tommy Robinson campaign rally in Salford.
Three anti-racism activists suffered bruising and cuts after they were hit by rocks.

Trouble flared when objects were thrown at a group of about 50 counter-protesters who were being escorted away from the event by police.

nuttynutjob Thu 23-May-19 02:52:01

PMK

Voting Greens tomorrow (Molly Scott Cato) for the second time.

mathanxiety Thu 23-May-19 03:33:18

pmk,

RedToothBrush Thu 23-May-19 03:42:55

You didn't really mean that.... did you?

Yes I do.
Once he's proved he can get that much, he's proved the Brexit Party are a real contender. And asked the question what is the point in the Conservatives. It's also been pointed out that he seems to be polling better than the Conservatives in the 18 - 25 year old age group, which is making people sit up and take notice. I think it's something like 10% of the vote in that age group compared to 6 or 7%. It's not a huge amount but the Conservatives have a real problem with young voters.

I echo what others say about alarm at young people saying they don't see the point in voting. They need beating with a rather large stick by parents to tell to get them out! It's almost as if they want to shoot themselves in the head and have no future but can whinge about how unfair it is because they can't be arsed to go to a polling booth. The abdication of responsibility is appalling.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-May-19 06:51:56

I feel rather queasy this morning about today's vote. It's going to be a long few days waiting for the vote.

SE counts on Sunday, I ores it's the same for all regions. Given our local struggle for sufficient staff I hope they start the count at a sensibly early time.

bellinisurge Thu 23-May-19 06:53:18

I'm going to be out of the country on Sunday. In furrin EU land. Be interesting to watch from there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »