Talk

Advanced search

Leavers rejoice

(1000 Posts)
Coppersulphate Mon 13-May-19 11:01:38

The Brexit Party are doing really well in the polls. I just hope they do as well in the election.
I think their slogan should be "Tell them again".
I would like to see a clean sweep of Brexiteers but I know that is not going to happen.
I have sent off my postal vote.

Bearbehind Sun 26-May-19 21:17:36

Absolutely none - it’s just dragging this mess out.

PortiaCastis Sun 26-May-19 21:16:58

Exactly people are voting for what they don't want, Farridge has whipped up another storm but to what avail

1tisILeClerc Sun 26-May-19 21:12:30

Walkingdeadfangirl
The UK voting is to select MEPs for IF the UK revokes, it is separate from electing UK MPs. Of course people will spin it out of all context but you need to remember what this vote is really about.
You are voting for something you don't want.

Bearbehind Sun 26-May-19 21:12:23

The EU elections are not for leave or remain but for seats in the EU Parliament so I'm not sure why folk think they are for leave or remain

portia it is indeed odd but it’s a sign of the times.

This has been twisted into a second referendum, only one with no teeth and Leavers have spectacularly missed the irony of the fact that if we were ever really going to leave we wouldn’t even be voting now.

We’ve failed to leave twice already.

Lonelycrab Sun 26-May-19 21:11:34

Well this threads almost dead thank gawd so perhaps as the results come in there’ll be another fine filled thread packed with reasons to be happy 😃

PortiaCastis Sun 26-May-19 21:08:16

The EU elections are not for leave or remain but for seats in the EU Parliament so I'm not sure why folk think they are for leave or remain

1tisILeClerc Sun 26-May-19 21:08:13

Thanks Mistigri.
I am aware that Mr Macron is not universally popular so should not really take an overwhelming lead but I am not sure of the Le Pen manifesto and whether it is damaging to a 'happy' France.
Strongly pro or anti anything gives trouble.

Lonelycrab Sun 26-May-19 21:07:25

I am moderately excited walkingdeadfangirl as it looks like the far right party’s across the EU may not be doing so well, and that a sweeping majority predicted by some by the Brexshit party might not be happening.

Peregrina Sun 26-May-19 21:06:58

Maybe it was the Raab School of Geography. He had just discovered that we were an island, not that it happened 10,000 years ago or thereabouts!

pallisers Sun 26-May-19 21:04:38

We are an island for a reason and are perfectly capable of managing ourselves, just like we did long before we joined EU.

Do they not teach history or geography anymore in UK schools?

1tisILeClerc Sun 26-May-19 21:01:11

{The deal talked about prior to the referendum was a trade deal not the withdrawal agreement which has been completely rejected by Parliament three times.}

Oh do keep up at the back!
The WA is just the START of the negotiation process and the UK government can't even get that sorted out. It is essentially a list of the 750 or so treaties that will need renegotiating.
So basically 3 years and the UK hasn't even agreed the topics that need to be discussed.
When the UK leaves the EU EVERYTHING that the UK normally trades with the EU will be more expensive than now as a member, and this applies to all 70 countries that are in the FTA deals.
The other major countries whose trade is outside the EU FTA are already saying that the UK will not get a particularly good deal as it is so small, and WTO rules on tariffs whatever might get negotiated will not be plain sailing for the UK.
Denying reality won't stop it happening.

Peregrina Sun 26-May-19 21:00:31

It was a simple question - Remain or Leave. There was no PTO on the paper saying If Leave How do you want to Leave?

Walkingdeadfangirl Sun 26-May-19 20:59:33

Anyone getting excited to see how much Leave has won by the result. MSM about to start their TV result specials. I hope MPs have their listening ears on tonight.

Lonelycrab Sun 26-May-19 20:57:43

The deal talked about prior to the referendum was a trade deal not the withdrawal agreement which has been completely rejected by Parliament three times.

And there in black and white is a perfect demonstration of how the average leaver views things- simplistic and missing the crucial points.

Mistigri Sun 26-May-19 20:57:01

*Do you see France as being in a 'good' position from what you can tell?
Le Pen did better than Macron by a small margin.*

@1tisILeClerc
I think it's qualified good news. Mélenchon tanked. The gilets jaunes tanked. The Frexit parties tanked. Greens have done well. And depending on which projection you look at, Macron may run Le Pen very close. (As in the U.K. much will depend on turnout in the big cities, where polling stations closed later and which will take longest to count; ignore right wingers celebrating prematurely, Macron's share will rise steeply as the count proceeds).

Bearbehind Sun 26-May-19 20:56:35

double what do you dislike about the WA?

And what do you honestly believe could be changed?

Peregrina Sun 26-May-19 20:55:54

Yes, but the WA needs to be passed to get onto the Trade Deals. That is part of the problem, how to get from A to B was not discussed, apart from Leave politicians making glib statements.

Doubletrouble99 Sun 26-May-19 20:52:40

Can I just dispel the fallacy so many of you remainers cling onto about us leavers being promised a good deal pre the referendum and how we have been mislead.
The deal talked about prior to the referendum was a trade deal not the withdrawal agreement which has been completely rejected by Parliament three times.

PortiaCastis Sun 26-May-19 20:51:01

The guardians summary so far

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/may/26/european-elections-2019-results-eu-election-parliament-brexit-party-farage-tories-may-live

Lonelycrab Sun 26-May-19 20:48:33

Lose the fear, stop reading rubbish media make.up.as They go along

What should we read? The DM and Telegraph? Fox News?

we have got this

Yeah we’ve got it coming to us, for sure

1tisILeClerc Sun 26-May-19 20:45:37

{We are an Island for a reason
Yep that'd be the icecaps melting}

And with coastal erosion and rising sea levels it is getting smaller.

PortiaCastis Sun 26-May-19 20:43:35

We are an Island for a reason
Yep that'd be the icecaps melting

1tisILeClerc Sun 26-May-19 20:42:58

{We are an island for a reason}
And one that can't feed itself so it HAS to trade. Shame it is just pissing off the countries that can provide food at a decent cost.

ContinuityError Sun 26-May-19 20:41:23

We are an island for a reason

Rising sea levels flooded Doggerland about 8500 years ago.

That is what you meant, right?

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Sun 26-May-19 20:40:52

We are an island for a reason

Yeah...

Geography

This thread is not accepting new messages.