Talk

Advanced search

Leavers rejoice

(1000 Posts)
Coppersulphate Mon 13-May-19 11:01:38

The Brexit Party are doing really well in the polls. I just hope they do as well in the election.
I think their slogan should be "Tell them again".
I would like to see a clean sweep of Brexiteers but I know that is not going to happen.
I have sent off my postal vote.

borntobequiet Sat 25-May-19 05:22:54

Boris will sort them out
You mean like this?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9MUwBEJRwk
As Eddie Mair rightly observes, “You’re a nasty piece of work”
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-21916385/boris-johnson-grilled-on-integrity-ahead-of-tv-documentary

Oakenbeach Sat 25-May-19 06:01:51

I can’t, ever, vote for that embittered twat Corbyn even if we get one.

Why not? He's the best solution.

Seriously? I don’t think you could be more wrong!

As leader of the opposition he is leading his party to what will be a disaster at the EU elections....probably coming 3rd with a vote of around 15% or somewhere in the teens. If the party don’t ditch him after this debacle I strongly believe Labour will implode with even more totally than the Tories.

lonelyplanetmum Sat 25-May-19 06:29:20

I strongly believe Labour will implode with even more totally than the Tories.

I don't think this can be true can it as the Tory implosion is pretty severe. It's Cameron's frustration with the chasm with the ERG that led to the ref in the first place. Have the ERG been a bit quieter lately?

The many things I don't understand include:

1. Why are certain MPs allowed to use tax payers money to subscribe to a divisive party within a party with a single issue agenda?

2. How wide are the internal group divisions? For example why has JRM has chosen Johnson to back? Yet Gove,Grayling, Jarvis Mordaunt, Leadsom, Baker ,Fox are paid up ERGers. Johnson isn't even an ERGer?

I read on 1 May 2019, following a ruling by the ICO that DexEU had to reveal some email to the ERG from Steve Baker. This led to OpenDemocracy publishing information about ERGers.

It just seems wrong to me that this group is tolerated and paid for partly by us?. Why is it allowed? It's not a select committee or something set up at Parliament's behest.

Another similar sized and funded group would not be allowed. Say a similar group was set up to promote another single issue, for example a religion? Or a similar group to promote confiscation of personal land and wealth?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/key-members-of-jacob-rees-moggs-pro-brexit-mp-lobby-group-finally-revealed/

jasjas1973 Sat 25-May-19 06:49:17

Boris will sort them out. If he is PM we will be leaving very soon

Hilarious! you really are the card aren't you.

Boris was for decades a strong Remainer... why isn't he in the ERG? never has been.

The new PM will find the numbers in the HoC haven't changed, leaving without a deal will split the Tory party, its why May didn't do it - she was ambivalent toward the EU.

I think we'll have another extension (for a GE) which will result in a Labour/SNP/LD/Green coalition.

Boris or whoever, will not want to go down in history as the PM who economically destroyed the UK, not to mention the loss of security co-op.
The no deal rhetoric is for the idiots in the UK.

borntobequiet Sat 25-May-19 06:51:01

Why has JRM chosen Boris?
In a word:
Eton!

lonelyplanetmum Sat 25-May-19 06:57:13

I thought ironically Boris went to the European school in Brussels -I'd forgotten he also went to Eton..four years above little Rees Mogg though.

borntobequiet Sat 25-May-19 07:02:09

So still fagging for him.

lonelyplanetmum Sat 25-May-19 07:05:18

!

Mistigri Sat 25-May-19 07:08:57

I detest Johnson but a part of me wonders whether he isn't just what remain needs. He's no ideologist and he won't want to go down in history as the man who broke the Union.

borntobequiet Sat 25-May-19 07:09:39

www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/archers-simon-williams-public-school-fagging/

Oakenbeach Sat 25-May-19 07:11:16

Sunday we will see the result of a confirmatory vote on Brexit. Then Boris backed up by Nigel will send the EU a ultimatum, either drop the backstop etc or we leave in October, end of, we are not asking twice and we will talk after that

Oooo, the EU will be so scared by the tough talk hmm.... and will just end up with us becoming an isolationist pariah who no country will do business with. North Korea will have more friends.

Mistigri Sat 25-May-19 07:13:55

The remainers have no confidence in our ability to run our own affairs.

Well, we're right about that.

The government can't enact policy and still has Chris Grayling in the cabinet, after he destroyed the justice system and spunked public money up the wall on non-existent ferries. It's the very definition of a failing government.

The evidence for us being capable of "running our own affairs" is currently frighteningly thin.

borntobequiet Sat 25-May-19 07:23:33

I’m trying to think of something we currently do well. My experience of the DVLA has been good, so there’s that.

lonelyplanetmum Sat 25-May-19 07:28:56

I recently had to renew an EHIC card for DDs school trip. That was very efficient.

(I know it's an EU perk but the U.K. admin of it was very efficient.)

Oakenbeach Sat 25-May-19 07:30:08

I don't think this can be true can it as the Tory implosion is pretty severe.

It is severe, but with a new Brexiteers leader backed by the membership leading us inexorably to a no-deal, i think one-nation and Remainer Tories will desert it but that faction are not party’s the centre of gravity. The Tories will continue as a party of the right, even if they lose their mantle of being the natural party of Government.

For Labour, on the other hand, the predicament is worse....that is if Corbyn maintains his position and his Janus-faced position on Brexit, the party is set for a more fundamental and existential split... it’s just that their issues have been eclipsed by the Government’s in recent months.

lonelyplanetmum Sat 25-May-19 07:38:55

if Corbyn maintains his position and his Janus-faced position on Brexit,

Corbin is 69. In fact I think he's 70 tomorrow.

In fact he nearly shares s birthday with JRM - 20 years apart!

SarfE4sticated Sat 25-May-19 08:36:45

I am petrified of Brexit because I worry that as soon as it happens the NHS will be privatised and we’ll turn into a mini USA.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Sat 25-May-19 09:34:09

The remainers have no confidence in our ability to run our own affairs

Yep...because its going so well so far

Langrish Sat 25-May-19 10:13:31

“The remainers have no confidence in our ability to run our own affairs.”

You don’t say? Wonder why?

Good grief 🤪

ContinuityError Sat 25-May-19 11:00:09

Grayling’s cock ups have so far cost the UK taxpayer £2.7 billion.

He must have serious dirt on someone, as I can’t think of an explanation as to why someone so demonstrably incompetent remains in charge of anything more demanding than tidying away the plasticine otherwise.

jasjas1973 Sat 25-May-19 15:53:48

Another sound bite!
We do run our own affairs, we are able to waste billions on A/C without planes, IT projects that don't work, Crossrail..... housing poor people in highly combustible buildings, run down our own armed forces, fail to invest in higher education..... i could go on and on and on!
We have free rein on almost all we do, ask a brexitier which laws they don't like that affect them and the silence is deafening.

However, when it comes to trade, bigger is better and we are a little country, losing frictionless access to our nearest and largest trading bloc is going to hurt... as is losing all those excellent FTA's

Its going to take decades to get back to where we are right now.

1tisILeClerc Sat 25-May-19 16:07:43

{Its going to take decades to get back to where we are right now.}

This assumes that the UK would be able to produce enough of whatever the rest of the world might want that they can't get from elsewhere.

There are a couple of 'conditionals' in there and as the world has been turning for a couple of years already since this episode started, buyers are already looking elsewhere so whatever the UK does will have several factors against it, tariffs, trade regulations and the fact that for example German manufacturing, as part of their 'no deal' preparations were TOLD by their equivalent of the CBI to consider the viability of UK sourced parts.

Doubletrouble99 Sat 25-May-19 16:56:03

Couple of things I would add to the discussion. Firstly the reason leavers are interested to see the outcome of the EU election and see how well the Brexit Party has done is because remainers have constantly told us that loads of leavers have changed their minds, or that they have died and the young new voters will vote for remain. So we want to see just how many leavers there still are who bothered to go out to vote in an election many don't normally.

Secondly not all conservatives are big fans of Boris. I certainly ain't.
As a Scottish Conservative the last thing we need up here is Boris. The SNP say that if the Con's vote him in they will demand a second indy referendum.
Middle Englanders don't seem to realise just how toxic he and JRM's brand is. Posh eccentric idiots is how I would categorise them!

We definitely need a straight talking Brexiteer as PM who immediately starts no deal preparations. Someone who will not talk no deal off the table. I like Rory Stewart but am disappointed in his no 'no deal' stance and the fact that he is too like May in his ideas so have ruled him out. As for the others, I'll wait till I see the full list to make further comment.

jasjas1973 Sat 25-May-19 17:11:14

I think both sides in the EU elections will be within a point or two of each other, in other words nothing we don't know already.

Rory Stewart is the candidate who could heal the nation but still leave the EU.

no-deal will be very divisive, folk need to get their heads around what "short term disruption" really means

For me, the number one priority is to put the country back together again, this whole shitshow has cost far too much and for no gain.

Doubletrouble99 Sat 25-May-19 18:37:29

The point is Jas Rory Stewart is just more of the same. Taking 'No Deal' off the table gets us no where. The EU won't move and the HoC won't move so no change. A different approach is needed. So I and many leavers believe that we should not be 'seen' to rule out no deal.
Obviously a deal would be better. But this shit storm isn't so the whole negotiations need a good shake up.

This thread is not accepting new messages.