Who/what was Claig? Where are they now?

(102 Posts)
thesmallestpotato Mon 08-Apr-19 21:30:07

Does anyone remember Claig? She/he/it was prolific on here in the run up to the referendum then she completely disappeared and doesn't seem to have been back. Just seems odd that someone so fiercely pro Brexit would just disappear. I'm getting horribly anxious about it all - I suppose I'm looking for reassurance and was hoping to come on here and see that Claig was still here telling us why everything's going to be OK...

OP’s posts: |
SinisterBumFacedCat Fri 03-May-19 09:49:22

Oh “ the elites are quaking”! Really hated barristers for some reason. Endless links...

I spotted a bloke on the bbc comments page a year or so ago with exactly the same posting style, really uncanny....

BorisBogtrotter Thu 02-May-19 12:38:17

Claig was far more than not politically correct, if a remain poster had behaved like that the vitriol from leavers like Surfer and others would have been explosive but instead they lauded her.

TalkinPaece Wed 01-May-19 19:47:32

Claig was rude and opinionated and not always politically correct
that is not a sin

Southwestten Wed 01-May-19 19:31:01

So why was Claig banned if she was never rude?

SwedishEdith Wed 01-May-19 19:06:32

'People's Army'.

Probably Piers Corbyn.

DrDreReturns Wed 01-May-19 17:45:36

I seem to remember him / her saying 'metropolitan elite' ad nauseam.

Southwestten Wed 01-May-19 17:38:47

Thank you leclerc.

1tisILeClerc Wed 01-May-19 16:34:37

Click on Report and tell MNHQ what misdeeds the poster is doing.

Southwestten Wed 01-May-19 16:31:41

Wasn't she taken out by in an act of revenge by Smallfox in a different guise, and others who had been banned after sparring with her?

How does one poster get another banned? I’ve sometimes wondered that on mumsnet.

BorisBogtrotter Wed 01-May-19 16:29:13

Claig was interesting, but she managed to stay here far longer than some of the remain posters. Although I do seem to remember that leave posters seemed to get a lot more leway that remainers at the time ( or maybe its that leave posters hit the complaint button a lot).

Wasn't she taken out by in an act of revenge by Smallfox in a different guise, and others who had been banned after sparring with her?

TalkinPaece Wed 01-May-19 13:22:43

Claig was funny
I enjoyed sparring with him LONG LONG before Brexit

PCPlumsTruncheon Wed 01-May-19 12:57:48

Whoever Claig is/was, they were not of woman born

Tanith Wed 01-May-19 06:45:28

Had never heard of him, I mean. smile

Tanith Wed 01-May-19 06:44:50

I always thought the sudden promotion of “Moggy for PM” (Who??!!) was the work of paid activists or bots.

Most people had even heard of him, and we had a deluge of fan posts. It was bizarre!

MissGiddyPants Tue 30-Apr-19 21:29:03

Sheesh. I could post any old pic claiming it was me.

Claig was around for years before Brexit.

I liked her/him.

TalkinPaece Tue 30-Apr-19 21:17:20

Claig was male
because he called me out for being a bloke and I posted a pic of myself to prove I was not

Mistigri Sat 13-Apr-19 12:40:00

In my musings to date, I've got as far as thinking that there are probably important distinctions between people who are voluntarily choosing to present individual points that have been politically directed in an organized way; and people who are saying things they may not themselves believe, because they will receive money for doing so.

I think that in Europe and the US there's a big overlap between true believers and shills - people like Darren Grimes, who was paid but who also genuinely believed the message, to the extent of being prepared to take the rap on behalf of his paymasters.

Don't think MN is the sort of site where you really get Russian trolls - they tend to give themselves away linguistically so a website full of grammar Nazis probably isn't very fertile ground for them wink.

PerkingFaintly Sat 13-Apr-19 12:25:47

They were caught when a message for the coordinated grou ,went astray. Oops!grin

Yes, that sounds very much like what I spotted in action re the land tax "messaging".

The question of paid vs unpaid contributors is quite a big topic that I haven't properly got my head round.

In my musings to date, I've got as far as thinking that there are probably important distinctions between people who are voluntarily choosing to present individual points that have been politically directed in an organized way; and people who are saying things they may not themselves believe, because they will receive money for doing so.

But that there is also likely to be an overlap eg people paid for doing work they agree with, or people voluntarily repeating a message they disagree with for what they believe is the greater good.

And I'm not sure how much the distinction matters for those of us on the receiving end. I mean, I suspect it does matter, but how?

AuntieStella Sat 13-Apr-19 12:01:17

I don't know if they were paid, rather that they were politically directed but not declaring that (deliberately posing as not). I apologise for my sloppy drafting where I did not separate out the point I wished to make for the wording of the poster I quoted. It was the intention/effect, rather than specific remuneration that I wished to highlight.

They were caught when a message for the coordinated grou ,went astray. Instructions on how and when to post (the dog whistle) and how to try to make anyone who disagrees look unreasonable. And of course the admonition to keep both the series of specific instructions and also the existence of the central control highly confidential (didn't work).

But it does show why Labour posters tended to act in waves. Though I doubt I would have noticed that had I not been in a couple of really quite different sites and saw instructions being followed in the same way on both.

I expect it's still going on.

Lots of readily googleable stuff out there for those who are interested.

PerkingFaintly Sat 13-Apr-19 09:57:41

Who were the paid Labour trolls who were "caught", AuntieStella? I'm nosy now!

It's easy enough to spot posters who are repeating today's message which has just arrived on their feeds (the Tory one about land tax just before the last election was hilarious, because they all came onto the same few threads and said the same thing within minutes of each other).

My feeling was those were unpaid posters who subscribed to the same sources, but of course I really don't know.

I'd be very interested to know how any UK-based paid troll was caught.

PerkingFaintly Sat 13-Apr-19 09:47:51

And known Russian trolls on twitter like TEN_GOP, Jenn_Abrams and SouthLoneStar – the last actually managed to get its content into UK newspapers.

Here's the first evidence Russia used Twitter to influence Brexit
Russia-based Twitter accounts that targeted the US presidential election also used divisive and racist rhetoric in an attempt to disrupt politics in the UK and Europe
www.wired.co.uk/article/brexit-russia-influence-twitter-bots-internet-research-agency

Russian trolls live-tweeted Manchester and London attacks
The @southlonestar Russian troll account posted about the Manchester bombing and retweeted a post from the Arron Banks-funded Westmonster politics blog

The account also bragged about its tweets being used included in media reports. "Thank you again, British libs. Now I'm even more famous!" @southlonestar posted after a tweet about the Westminster Bridge attack was included in a story published by The Sun. "Wow... I'm on the Daily Mail front page!" it said of its inclusion on Mail Online
www.wired.co.uk/article/russian-twitter-troll-westminster-bridge-manchester-southlonestar

PerkingFaintly Sat 13-Apr-19 09:46:15

I was thinking of things like the Internet Research Agency and the St Petersburg troll factory.

The Russian troll factory at the heart of the meddling allegations
Former workers tell how hundreds of bloggers are paid to flood forums and social networks at home and abroad with anti-western and pro-Kremlin comments
www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house

Facebook removes more than 100 accounts linked to Russian troll factory
Company says the Internet Research Agency, which is among those charged by a US grand jury with conspiracy to defraud, has abused the platform
www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/04/facebook-removes-more-than-100-accounts-linked-to-russian-troll-factory

AuntieStella Sat 13-Apr-19 07:28:08

There are indeed paid trolls on social media – we know, because the sources of some of them have been found. But whether the troll introduces an idea or has simply taken an existing idea and amplified it (a common methodology), the ideas themselves are believed in by many real people. Failing to face up to this is a shortcut to disaster

Very strongly agree.

But would note that the indigenous ones that were 'caught' were Labour. Even though it's widely suspected that others do this, do aim off. Whenever there's a cry that a nonleft poster must be a paid troll, it is someone showing exactly the sort of harmful denial put so well above, and very possibly someone projecting their own circumstances on to others.

meditrina Sat 13-Apr-19 07:22:36

Claig had been around for a long time before Trump and Brexit.

So I always thought 'real'. I know there's incredulity on MN that real preople can have different views, but it really shouldn't be like that.

Nor is is right to expect winners to be crowing. Not everyone is rude, and it's wrong to assume that your political opponents must be.

We've lost a number of other prolific posters over the years. It happens.

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-19 07:16:11

There is a whole industry in conspiracy theories out there.
RedToothBrush

YYY to this too.

And all of them, on the Remain side as well as the Leave side, equally undermine the idea that there is a thing called objective truth.

Conspiracy theories are the enemy of civil society and all rational discourse.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in