Talk

Advanced search

Show me your brexit stockpiles cont...

(809 Posts)
SparklySneakers Tue 12-Mar-19 17:27:05

A thread for sharing details of our stashes: what we have, what we need, good hiding places and all sorts of hints and tips to help prepare for shortages in the event of a no deal brexit.

TunaVersesAngelfish Wed 13-Mar-19 06:30:27

What if the UK gets an extension until June? I’m going to have to carefully unpack my freezer and get the earliest use by dates products out and start again

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 07:27:26

keep rotating stock. use up the oldest stuff and replace with newer.

BiscuitDrama Wed 13-Mar-19 07:29:22

I tend to think anything frozen is fine for a year or two. I wouldn’t start rotating yet.

NopeNi Wed 13-Mar-19 07:38:16

I don't know, personally I don't think people will panic until there are shortages when trucks are delayed and deliveries don't turn up. Until then they'll be in denial or just won't think of it as a problem.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 08:01:35

some people might do a stock up today, many are so fed up of listening to brexit that they are no longer paying attention

MintyCedric Wed 13-Mar-19 08:13:46

My stash in the garage...have a few bits to add and have started putting some bits in the freezer too.

Have an online order for collection next weekend when I get paid of a month's food shopping plus frozen veg and extra pasta/rice.

Just wish the powers that be would make up their bloody minds...can't believe what an absolute farce it's turning into.

ColeHawlins Wed 13-Mar-19 09:08:01

I've put a tall, thin billy bookcase either side of the wardrobes in the spare room. Now they're nearly full and the blanket box is full of huge packs of teabags, pasta & rice. (I tried to post a photo but MN app isn't playing ball.)

I feel prepared now if everyone loses their minds and panic buys.

SparklySneakers Wed 13-Mar-19 09:09:39

I'm going to pick up a few bits today as I pass asda. Will get some alternative painkillers too. I've not discussed stockpiling with anyone irl apart from my best friend who knows I have a few things set aside. Friends are worried in general but not sure they've thought about shortages specifically.

ColeHawlins Wed 13-Mar-19 09:10:59

BTW, I don't know if this is already common knowledge amongst preppers but Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose are all now doing French-style bleach tablets at £2 for forty. So that's a very compact way to store bleach.

AlphaJura Wed 13-Mar-19 09:14:57

Following last night's vote I'm thinking 'no deal' is looking more likely (my prediction for ages now) so I'm off to home bargains to stock up on a mega pack of cat food pouches and cat biscuits, fairy liquid and replenish a few tins and jars I've used from the stash.

sorenipples Wed 13-Mar-19 09:30:22

Requisitioned the kid's truck to put the stockpile away.

Rather concerned by just how dented Asda tins were. I eat a lot of beans, and thought stockpiling them was a little silly as surely they'd be available post brexit. I stopped to look at the tin -produced in Italy. Having a week or so buffer just seems like common sense now, I just worry for those who can't afford to, and the potential pre brexit shortages of people coming to this realisation.

BadlyAgedMemes Wed 13-Mar-19 10:46:01

Very windy and rainy morning round here. Suits my mood just fine. I'm staying in and baking.

Recent stockpile additions: Easter eggs (no kids, but we're childish), biscuits and kitchen roll. I really don't think I need to be stocking up more, but every week I seem to think of something.

Really, it's all a bit unimportant. Who cares if we have Easter eggs, if we can't get our medications? DH's meds have been on a weekly precription of late, and we've had problems every week trying to get them. Obviously no chance to stock up, and he's had to skip doses while waiting for meds deliveries. It's not going to get better, is it? I doubt his mental health drugs will be classed as vital enough to be flown over in an emergency. (I have small stocks of my own meds, luckily, but DH doesn't.)

SparklySneakers Wed 13-Mar-19 10:50:30

I've picked up cocodamol from two difference chemists today in case of problems getting my prescription when it runs out in 3 weeks.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 11:04:23

Egg freezing has commenced! We did a rearranging of the chest freezer today as I bought 3kg of chicken thighs for the stash. Even with only one arm I am ace at food storage Tetris (though I have to direct DH as it takes two hands to do it properly in the chest freezer. Cupboards and the fridge / freezer drawers I can do myself).

We are very well stocked now. Just loo roll left, I think.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 13-Mar-19 11:52:05

I bought Easter Eggs today and the cashier asked if I was getting them while I could. confused I did restrain myself from buying emergency whiskey, it's on the list though for the weekend shop. I did buy some butter.

Well done on the egg freezing NoWord.

Medication does worry me. I'm ok for most of what I need, but I do have issues with getting even what I need of one important kind.

OogieMcBoogie Wed 13-Mar-19 12:07:23

Egg freezing- do you freeze them in the tray or remove them once frozen?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 13-Mar-19 12:09:33

Remove them once frozen, which is why silicone works best. I tried it with paper and it all stuck to the paper, which is fine, but with defrosting them in the microwave there was a danger that we'd end up with scrambled paper in our eggs.

AlphaJura Wed 13-Mar-19 13:11:47

My dp is a leaver who thinks it'll all be fine. He doesn't know I've been 'stockpiling' as such. Dd (10) is the only one who knows. I do all the food shopping and most of the cooking. He offered to cook the other night because I wasn't feeling well and exhausted. He kept effing and blinding about the cupboards, when I asked him what the matter was he said every cupboard he opened was so choc full of stuff it kept falling out on top of him  . I'm obviously used to it! I think he just thinks that's how it always is, or I'm just forward purchasing. He hasn't guessed it's to do with Brexit 🤣. He'd think it was bonkers. There's more stashed in other places he doesn't know about too!

OogieMcBoogie Wed 13-Mar-19 13:43:18

Thanks OYBBK I’ll add a silicone case to my shopping list! One final egg question: once frozen and removed from the case, should they be stored individually wrapped or anything special?

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 14:12:56

Try eBay for silicone cases as ours were a great price from there.

Remembered I forgot sanpro (the drugs are addling my brain!) so will buy that on Thursday.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 14:35:09

Just got more loo roll Aldi are out of laundry detergent, bread flour, canellini beans.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 14:36:14

We have bread flour in our Aldi, but I didn't look for those other bits.

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 14:58:44

One final egg question: once frozen and removed from the case, should they be stored individually wrapped or anything special?

They never fully freeze IYSWIM. They sort of remain a bit sticky. So if you put them all together in one bag they can stick together a bit. Fairly easily separated again though. Pierce the yolks and it helps the texture once they've defrosted.

Personally I mix them around to pierce the yolks and store in bags of 8 since thats how many I use for both a quiche and for a batch of pancake mix (but I have eggs coming out of my ears anyway. DS1 bought two dozen up from the coop yesterday since he hadn't collected them for a couple of days!)

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 14:59:25

Just been to our aldi and plenty of bread flour and normal flour and bread mixes.

S1naidSucks Wed 13-Mar-19 15:09:29

I’m ordering a dehydrator and bread maker today. I’m seriously considering buying a cheap chest freezer for the flour and bread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »