Talk

Advanced search

Show me your brexit stockpiles cont...

(809 Posts)
SparklySneakers Tue 12-Mar-19 17:27:05

A thread for sharing details of our stashes: what we have, what we need, good hiding places and all sorts of hints and tips to help prepare for shortages in the event of a no deal brexit.

SparklySneakers Tue 12-Mar-19 17:28:35

link to original thread:

Show me your stockpiles http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eureferendumm_2016_/3502238-Show-me-your-stockpiles

My treats stash to start is off minus biscuits

Triglesoffy Tue 12-Mar-19 17:29:54

Brexit is coming because I went to Tesco todayand they only had 2 packets of chicken dippers left. So I bought them, obvs.

bellinisurge Tue 12-Mar-19 17:36:37

Thank you

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 12-Mar-19 17:42:59

Thank you Sneakers.
I had another go at drying mushrooms today as I had some to use up. Don't slice them too thinly is my new tip of the day. I've also frozen some surplus eggs in individual silicone muffin cases. They will then go into a freezer bag.

So if tonight's vote means we accept the WA, then at least next week or something I can have defrosted scrambled eggs and dried mushrooms.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 12-Mar-19 17:55:31

Thanks for locking up OYBBK. Glad to see it is all neat and tidy.

Thanks for starting a new thread Sparkly.

I need to get onto the computer and order seeds and seed potatoes and canes.

Also need to do an Amazon order.

I have finally managed to get batteries. Don't forget spare batteries for the smoke alarm if you need them. I have only just remembered.

I am feeling agitated what with waiting for meaningful vote and storm Gareth and not shopping today due to the rain.

Nearly all done with the cupboard though. Got to keep it topped up.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 12-Mar-19 18:06:58

I'm feeling agitated too. I wish sometimes that I was the sort of person who was able to just react when things happened. I really hope that in two hours we will be planning on being able to enjoy not needing to really shop very much over the next couple of months.

Our smoke detector decided to run out of battery last week, so that's something.

MadauntofA Tue 12-Mar-19 18:25:19

Storm Gareth is probably quite apt tonight, I wonder if panic will kick in tomorrow if there is no resolution with this vote.

nocoolnamesleft Tue 12-Mar-19 18:26:20

I have a problem with my treats stash. I can't stop eating it. Any ideas?

NopeNi Tue 12-Mar-19 18:28:58

Placemarking smile

NoWordForFluffy Tue 12-Mar-19 18:34:22

I'm buying eggs tomorrow if the WA isn't passed tonight. I'll go to Aldi first thing before it has a chance to go panicky!

Did you put the muffin case in a freezer bag, OYBBK, or just in the freezer as is?

StuntEgg Tue 12-Mar-19 18:57:06

they only had 2 packets of chicken dippers

Can't believe I'm the first to ask, but "What the fuck are Chicken Dippers?"

MadauntofA Tue 12-Mar-19 19:00:51

There just a variation of chicken nuggets/ goujon etc

PrawnOfCreation Tue 12-Mar-19 19:14:35

Thank you @SparklySneakers

I'm ready, if it all goes panic after tonight I can stay well away. If nothing changes I'll keep adding dribs and drabs. If it all just goes away, well my shopping will be cheaper for a good while.

I am the epitome of calm.

JohnnyHatesJazz Tue 12-Mar-19 19:25:48

MPs have voted against.Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

MadauntofA Tue 12-Mar-19 19:33:17

And potentially Thursday if they vote no tomorrow as well

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 12-Mar-19 19:51:40

Back to the supermarket tomorrow then. Find another space.

I have space for laundry detergent, loo roll, dried fruits, lightbulbs, fusilli, some tinned beans or chopped tomatoes, Sanpro shreddies, coriander. 1 box of apple juice. Fishfingers of course, squash, one bag of rice. A pack of Spaghetti. Need to find somewhere else to put things.

Need to get DIY supplies as well.

NoWordForFluffy Tue 12-Mar-19 20:00:14

Ah. Sanpro. Yes!

Need olive oil too.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 12-Mar-19 20:46:46

Just as is NoWord, then I'll pop them into the freezer bag tomorrow.
I've got an urgent desire to buy whiskey. And butter.

NoWordForFluffy Tue 12-Mar-19 20:50:53

I got more butter this week, but could get more. I'm prioritising dairy free spread for the DC in the fridge though. I don't want to deal with dairy-related reactions unless I have to!

I need to rearrange the freezers again to get slightly more stuff in.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 12-Mar-19 21:45:16

Filler, need filler.

Will wander round wicks at some point and stock up on various things I need.

Just endured a very long and loud meltdown.

wherearemychickens Tue 12-Mar-19 22:09:11

Nocool, I keep eating my chocolate stash too.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 12-Mar-19 22:20:30

Treat stash is it somewhere difficult to access as I am a lazy bugger and the more effort needed to access nice stuff the less likely I am to raid it.

OogieMcBoogie Tue 12-Mar-19 23:32:30

Firstly my thanks to you all for all the ideas over the last thread, I’m following and feeling much more prepared! Quick question though, do you really think that panic-buying may start tomorrow as a result of tonight’s defeat? I was hoping to have a few more days stress-free (well, ish) but the thought of huge shortages this early has worried me.

SparklySneakers Tue 12-Mar-19 23:59:21

I do think there'll be a marked increase in stocking up, yes. Maybe not tomorrow and it depends on Wednesday and Thursdays votes but if no deal is a reality then people will start panicking.

TunaVersesAngelfish Wed 13-Mar-19 06:30:27

What if the UK gets an extension until June? I’m going to have to carefully unpack my freezer and get the earliest use by dates products out and start again

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 07:27:26

keep rotating stock. use up the oldest stuff and replace with newer.

BiscuitDrama Wed 13-Mar-19 07:29:22

I tend to think anything frozen is fine for a year or two. I wouldn’t start rotating yet.

NopeNi Wed 13-Mar-19 07:38:16

I don't know, personally I don't think people will panic until there are shortages when trucks are delayed and deliveries don't turn up. Until then they'll be in denial or just won't think of it as a problem.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 08:01:35

some people might do a stock up today, many are so fed up of listening to brexit that they are no longer paying attention

MintyCedric Wed 13-Mar-19 08:13:46

My stash in the garage...have a few bits to add and have started putting some bits in the freezer too.

Have an online order for collection next weekend when I get paid of a month's food shopping plus frozen veg and extra pasta/rice.

Just wish the powers that be would make up their bloody minds...can't believe what an absolute farce it's turning into.

ColeHawlins Wed 13-Mar-19 09:08:01

I've put a tall, thin billy bookcase either side of the wardrobes in the spare room. Now they're nearly full and the blanket box is full of huge packs of teabags, pasta & rice. (I tried to post a photo but MN app isn't playing ball.)

I feel prepared now if everyone loses their minds and panic buys.

SparklySneakers Wed 13-Mar-19 09:09:39

I'm going to pick up a few bits today as I pass asda. Will get some alternative painkillers too. I've not discussed stockpiling with anyone irl apart from my best friend who knows I have a few things set aside. Friends are worried in general but not sure they've thought about shortages specifically.

ColeHawlins Wed 13-Mar-19 09:10:59

BTW, I don't know if this is already common knowledge amongst preppers but Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose are all now doing French-style bleach tablets at £2 for forty. So that's a very compact way to store bleach.

AlphaJura Wed 13-Mar-19 09:14:57

Following last night's vote I'm thinking 'no deal' is looking more likely (my prediction for ages now) so I'm off to home bargains to stock up on a mega pack of cat food pouches and cat biscuits, fairy liquid and replenish a few tins and jars I've used from the stash.

sorenipples Wed 13-Mar-19 09:30:22

Requisitioned the kid's truck to put the stockpile away.

Rather concerned by just how dented Asda tins were. I eat a lot of beans, and thought stockpiling them was a little silly as surely they'd be available post brexit. I stopped to look at the tin -produced in Italy. Having a week or so buffer just seems like common sense now, I just worry for those who can't afford to, and the potential pre brexit shortages of people coming to this realisation.

BadlyAgedMemes Wed 13-Mar-19 10:46:01

Very windy and rainy morning round here. Suits my mood just fine. I'm staying in and baking.

Recent stockpile additions: Easter eggs (no kids, but we're childish), biscuits and kitchen roll. I really don't think I need to be stocking up more, but every week I seem to think of something.

Really, it's all a bit unimportant. Who cares if we have Easter eggs, if we can't get our medications? DH's meds have been on a weekly precription of late, and we've had problems every week trying to get them. Obviously no chance to stock up, and he's had to skip doses while waiting for meds deliveries. It's not going to get better, is it? I doubt his mental health drugs will be classed as vital enough to be flown over in an emergency. (I have small stocks of my own meds, luckily, but DH doesn't.)

SparklySneakers Wed 13-Mar-19 10:50:30

I've picked up cocodamol from two difference chemists today in case of problems getting my prescription when it runs out in 3 weeks.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 11:04:23

Egg freezing has commenced! We did a rearranging of the chest freezer today as I bought 3kg of chicken thighs for the stash. Even with only one arm I am ace at food storage Tetris (though I have to direct DH as it takes two hands to do it properly in the chest freezer. Cupboards and the fridge / freezer drawers I can do myself).

We are very well stocked now. Just loo roll left, I think.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 13-Mar-19 11:52:05

I bought Easter Eggs today and the cashier asked if I was getting them while I could. confused I did restrain myself from buying emergency whiskey, it's on the list though for the weekend shop. I did buy some butter.

Well done on the egg freezing NoWord.

Medication does worry me. I'm ok for most of what I need, but I do have issues with getting even what I need of one important kind.

OogieMcBoogie Wed 13-Mar-19 12:07:23

Egg freezing- do you freeze them in the tray or remove them once frozen?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 13-Mar-19 12:09:33

Remove them once frozen, which is why silicone works best. I tried it with paper and it all stuck to the paper, which is fine, but with defrosting them in the microwave there was a danger that we'd end up with scrambled paper in our eggs.

AlphaJura Wed 13-Mar-19 13:11:47

My dp is a leaver who thinks it'll all be fine. He doesn't know I've been 'stockpiling' as such. Dd (10) is the only one who knows. I do all the food shopping and most of the cooking. He offered to cook the other night because I wasn't feeling well and exhausted. He kept effing and blinding about the cupboards, when I asked him what the matter was he said every cupboard he opened was so choc full of stuff it kept falling out on top of him  . I'm obviously used to it! I think he just thinks that's how it always is, or I'm just forward purchasing. He hasn't guessed it's to do with Brexit 🤣. He'd think it was bonkers. There's more stashed in other places he doesn't know about too!

OogieMcBoogie Wed 13-Mar-19 13:43:18

Thanks OYBBK I’ll add a silicone case to my shopping list! One final egg question: once frozen and removed from the case, should they be stored individually wrapped or anything special?

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 14:12:56

Try eBay for silicone cases as ours were a great price from there.

Remembered I forgot sanpro (the drugs are addling my brain!) so will buy that on Thursday.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 14:35:09

Just got more loo roll Aldi are out of laundry detergent, bread flour, canellini beans.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 14:36:14

We have bread flour in our Aldi, but I didn't look for those other bits.

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 14:58:44

One final egg question: once frozen and removed from the case, should they be stored individually wrapped or anything special?

They never fully freeze IYSWIM. They sort of remain a bit sticky. So if you put them all together in one bag they can stick together a bit. Fairly easily separated again though. Pierce the yolks and it helps the texture once they've defrosted.

Personally I mix them around to pierce the yolks and store in bags of 8 since thats how many I use for both a quiche and for a batch of pancake mix (but I have eggs coming out of my ears anyway. DS1 bought two dozen up from the coop yesterday since he hadn't collected them for a couple of days!)

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 14:59:25

Just been to our aldi and plenty of bread flour and normal flour and bread mixes.

S1naidSucks Wed 13-Mar-19 15:09:29

I’m ordering a dehydrator and bread maker today. I’m seriously considering buying a cheap chest freezer for the flour and bread.

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 15:15:39

I bought more fruit bushes in lidl too (we have a lidl and an aldi very close to one another and they're on my way home so I can pop in most days). Another blackcurrant and another redcurrant £1.99 each. I'm mainly focussing on long term prepping measures now.

S1naidSucks Wed 13-Mar-19 15:17:08

we have a lidl and an aldi very close to one another

I’m ridiculously jealous. We only have Lidl in NI. 😭

oopslateagain Wed 13-Mar-19 15:26:47

Can't believe I forgot sanpro. I use a cup but DD uses towels so I need to get a small stock in.

I don't have a separate stockpile, I have loads of extras of all the things we use regularly. It took a while to do it but I have about a months worth of everything, so now I just do my normal weekly shop and rotate stuff in my storage cupboard so the oldest is at the front.

I've just got an upright freezer so I'm in the process of filling it, it's slow going but I need to get a bit of a move on with all the Brexit negotiation cockups going on.

bellinisurge Wed 13-Mar-19 15:59:01

My dd hasn't started so I have some disposable sanpro for her . But she is up for trying renewables too so I have some sample pads and some patterns and materials for making them.

Aberforthsgoat Wed 13-Mar-19 16:12:04

Great thread.

I’m feeling a bit happier now that I’ve got a massive cupboard full of extras.

I’ve mainly gone for extras of things we eat, with a few tinned versions of things we would normally have fresh.

So far:
Tinned beans (all sorts)
tinned veg especially potatoes fry frying, mashing, roasting, topping pies etc
Instant mash
Tuna, salmon, mackerel, pilchards
Jar of olives and sun dried tomatoes to pad out bakes/pasta dishes
Chopped tomatoes/passata and pesto
Lots of 20p marinade “rubs” that I picked up from home bargains
Big bottles of olive oil
M&S tinned meat (had some vouchers and it’s much nicer than some of the others we’ve tried)
Soups, mixture including big soup and big soup hotpots
2kg pasta plus odd packs in the main cupboard
2kg rice and other grains
4kg black lentils for padding out meals
Lots of microwave rice in different flavours
Dry noodles and udon noodles
Chickpeas and tahini to make hummus
Garlic, tomato, ginger, chilli purées
Oatly milk and almond milk
Dark chocolate and crisps/biscuits
Crackers
20 2l bottles of water
Big tub of ground coffee plus beans, both decaf and caff
Teabags

Got a fully stocked freezer now including veg, fruit, chicken, mince, fish etc
Also frozen some halloumi and other cheese
Frozen just roll pastry for making pies

Also got loads of toothpaste, shower gel, Sanpro, shampoo and conditioner, stocked up on skincare, razors, soap
For the kitchen I filled a plastic tub with washing up liquid, laundry stuff, bleach, kitchen wipes and cleaning products

I still need to get oats, honey, marmite, Nutella, more long life milk like almond as that’s what I used anyway, porridge toppings

Maybe some tinned fruit to go on porridge as can’t fit anything else in my freezer, and some other cereals

Got some cheap bread mixes which I tried and come out really nice, really cheap in lidl and some resealable bags of unsalted nuts and dried fruit but I want to pick up some more

Got plasters and loo roll, cleaning cloths etc, lots of warm blankets and extra duvets but need to pick up batteries

I feel like I’ve forgotten a lot though!

MintyCedric Wed 13-Mar-19 17:53:13

Seeing the mentions on here of bottled water, batteries and extra blankets and duvets...is it likely that power/water supplies will be affected?

Cloudtree Wed 13-Mar-19 18:09:01

Unlikely but possible. Water chemicals are imported and can’t be stored. Power more likely to be an issue for those in Northern Ireland as far as I understand it.

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 18:11:50

Sometimes thinking about Brexit preps makes people think about other circumstances that could occur.

Or maybe people are taking preps for being able to afford less heating/ utilities

Aberforthsgoat Wed 13-Mar-19 18:19:27

My water stockpiling is largely due to just random
Prepping after experiencing an unexpected three days without water last year due to a local problem. After that I always try to have about 12-15 lites in minimum.
Lots of good offers on at Tesco at the moment, managed to get some more dried fruit and nuts really cheaply today

Currently got it stored in my kitchen cupboards I know tins will be alright but should I be keeping them in plastic tubs if they’re not in tins?

oopslateagain Wed 13-Mar-19 22:20:01

Does anyone know if microwave rice can be eaten cold straight from the packet? There's no warning on there to say it can't.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 13-Mar-19 22:37:22

Surely it's not cooked enough?! Would it be crunchy?

You'd have to be fairly hungry / desperate to try it I'd think!

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 13-Mar-19 22:50:29

Not sure about the rice.

Been clearing out the fridge to make way for fresh vegetables next week. Will need to work out an order that meals can be eaten in to use the veg in order of likelihood of going off.

Things are getting very close now. Freezer and fridge need to be ready.

A couple more things to get for the long life list. Then organising the freezer then fridge.

Going to do a trip out to Asda and an alternative Aldi tomorrow.

I will just about finish and A50 will be revoked.

chocolateroses Wed 13-Mar-19 23:52:21

I've been too skint to have a brexit stock pile. I'm still too skint, but now needs must because obvs the time is neigh.

Help please - what particular essentials should I get? Or is it just generally, everything imported?

chocolateroses Wed 13-Mar-19 23:55:00

P.s. this Brexit malarkey is awful for my anxiety today sad

S1naidSucks Thu 14-Mar-19 00:00:55

chocolateroses Can you give us an idea of who you need to feed and what your basic meals tend to be, then we can take it from there?

chocolateroses Thu 14-Mar-19 06:14:35

Married with 3 kids - ages 1, 4 and 6. My only staples are tea and wine grin one of my kids has special needs and as a result a very restricted diet of cheese sandwiches and yoghurts.... neither of which I can stockpile long term. Other kids eat normally for their ages xxx

chocolateroses Thu 14-Mar-19 06:17:12

(He's doesn't HAVE to eat those foods, he just refuses to eat other stuff!)

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 06:18:15

@chocolateroses , I'm a general prepper and have been on here lots suggesting a three day approach. Just imagine you are snowed in for three days and what you would actually eat. He shelf stable versions of that. If freezer space is limited, just get e.g. extra chicken breasts or burgers (or whatever your family eats). Supplement that meal with veg from a tin or a sauce in a jar with cheap white rice. I have stopped posting this suggestion now ibecause it is harder to do it slowly and incrementally the nearer we get to Brexit Day.
The good news about a delay is that it gives you more time to slowly build up.
If you can get into porridge that's a good cheap breakfast which you can make with water. Stir it on the hob as you cook it and it is dead creamy. Add a dollop of jam or even a spoon if tinned fruit (or whatever version of Nutella you can afford) and it's yum.
Why 3 days? It gives you a chance to keep fed while you suss things out locally. Do only what you can afford and store. No one can get everything for every scenario for every conceivable period of time. Just a bit of a buffer is better than nothing.
Make sure you have a buffer of things like toothpaste and sanpro. And little treats. And tea/coffee. Have it black or with UHT milk you can store.
Look at what you and yours actually eat. Aldi/Lidl are your friend. Or the tinned veg/fruit aisle in your preferred supermarket. Slow and careful adding to your shop to build a buffer of 3 days. More if you want/can but not less.
Jack Monroe has suggestions on her blog. I don't like her personally but a good resource of info is a good resource of info.

chocolateroses Thu 14-Mar-19 06:19:35

Thank you @bellinisurge

I'm off to work now but I will be back later to read up any other replies smile

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 06:20:37

@chocolateroses , you can look at learning how to make your own yogurt. Don't need to buy a fancy yogurt maker- although you can.

MadauntofA Thu 14-Mar-19 06:21:33

Chocolate, bread cheese and yoghurt freeze well, so at least you can have a bit of a buffer for your DS

minisoksmakehardwork Thu 14-Mar-19 06:38:12

@oopslateagain, microwave rice can be cooked on the job too. A tablespoon or so of water and it comes out fine. We have gas camping stoves we use in power cuts.

minisoksmakehardwork Thu 14-Mar-19 06:38:34

Hob not job

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 06:40:17

@chocolateroses - I know you might have gone to work by now but, for later, dairy supplies are unlikely to have more than a short hiccup (if anything- we are pretty self sufficient in the UK in dairy) - the shops themselves might be a bit unpleasant which is why a buffer keeps you out of them. The prices might go up.
If you have a slow cooker, you can make yogurt in it using a small pot of active yogurt as your starter. YouTube has loads of recipes.

BusterGonad Thu 14-Mar-19 06:48:23

Chicken dippers are my guilty pleasure!

PirateWeasel Thu 14-Mar-19 06:50:00

Has anyone done a meal plan for the week or two things are likely to be chaos? I confess I've just been buying extra bits and bobs without any real strategic thinking.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 14-Mar-19 07:02:40

Not an actual meal plan but I've been doing things like I need x tuna cans per week, x amount of pasta per week.

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 07:06:08

My dh is a fab cook. (I'm not bad too but it makes him feel good to say he's better than me - he's a neater cook too) I have a good spread of stuff and would hope he can work his magic. We meal plan during the week usually but I don't want to commit us to a particular plan if we have to hunker down for a bit.

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 07:56:38

* Has anyone done a meal plan for the week or two things are likely to be chaos? I confess I've just been buying extra bits and bobs without any real strategic thinking*

Only vaguely. I've been trying to even up my ratio of carbs/proteins/veg.

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 07:58:34

I really need to keep on top of the bread situation. All 4 of us are ill today and the weather is horrendous so no way I'm venturing out for a loaf. I've got multi seed in the freezer but the two younger ones won't eat it. I've plenty of everything else I think. It's just that the little one has been wanting toast for every meal all week as poorly. We are going through a loaf a day 😩

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 07:59:17

Meal plans. Good idea. Will do that today.

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 08:23:15

If bread is a big feature of your diet, consider buying a bread maker but the good ones are pricey. Or be prepared to make it yourself in an oven. I have just spent some anniversary vouchers to part pay for a Panasonic. It is ace but pricey as anything. I can make bread by hand but ....

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 08:26:20

Even without a bread maker, some strong bread flour and yeast are worth having, in case of shortages.

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 08:38:23

I was tempted by a bread maker a while back. I've got a bread mix in the cupboard along with strong flour and yeast and Paul Hollywood's beads boom but lacking the enthusiasm to bake today.

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 08:57:35

Yes I think you'd need empty supermarket shelves to give you the impetus smile

Bluelonerose Thu 14-Mar-19 09:05:35

I've lost the will to live with stock piling now.
Somehow I ended up with no sugar in the house! According to my lists there should be 4! I have no idea weather I actually have 4 in the house and i just can't find them or if I just have no sugar.

It seems like I always have something to buy angry I just want to not need to go shopping.

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 09:07:42

If I felt less ill I might be tempted. Maybe I'll just give the children the recipe and tell them to have a go.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 14-Mar-19 09:08:29

I've got into a really nice rhythm with my sour dough bread, so it's not taking too much time to think about or do. I'm getting quite fond of my starter. Lunch time or tea time I get it going, prove on the counter til bed. Into the proving basket and the fridge overnight, shove it in the oven at breakfast time.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 14-Mar-19 09:08:56

But that would be far too much faff if ill!

Cloudtree Thu 14-Mar-19 09:18:46

Has anyone done a meal plan for the week or two things are likely to be chaos? I confess I've just been buying extra bits and bobs without any real strategic thinking.

Not really since we would easily have 2-4 weeks worth of normal food in the freezer. We also have cereal and UHT milk. The issue comes for me if things became very difficult e.g. shortages and massive price hikes and we were trying to eke things out over a longer period. Its difficult to store enough decent protein.

As such, my approach has been to buy the things that would keep meals tasting fairly normal such as pasta sauces that the DC like (Lloyd Grossman bolognese sauce features heavily in my store) plus the basics such as the pasta, rice, cous cous etc to provide the starchy carbohydrates. I then can spend the money we have just on protein and fresh veg/fruit.

NoWordForFluffy Thu 14-Mar-19 09:27:02

We have a ridiculous number of fish fingers in our freezer. Might have a fish finger roll for lunch today!

We don't have a meal plan. We'll just eat what we have when we fancy it.

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 09:54:51

I've been getting a few extras for my mum as shown below. She has in her own stash:
Baked beans (2 small)
Chopped tomatoes (2 small)
Loo roll
Kitchen roll
Anti bacterial spray
Washing up liquid
Laundry detergent
Toiletries
Primula cheese
Meat and fish in the freezer (small freezer)
Veg in freezer
Tinned fruit (3 tins)
Tinned mushy peas (one)
Packet mash (only one)
Biscuits
Chocolate
Sugar
Custard powder
Flours
Tea
Coffee
Soup in freezer
Bottled water
Medication
Water purification tablets

Is there anything obvious missing or anything that might be useful?

She doesn't like oats, curry, anything spicy. She's a pretty traditional eater of meat or fish, veg, potatoes. She'll occasionally eat pasta and rice but once in a blue moon. There's only her in the house so doesn't need lots but I'm worried she doesn't have much in terms of actual meals.

Cloudtree Thu 14-Mar-19 09:58:32

UHT milk or dried milk

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 14-Mar-19 10:01:53

Oh can someone tell me in idiot proof terms how to start a sour dough starter.. every time I go online I get a bit lost...

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 10:03:20

Tinned potatoes? If she's old (like me) she will be pretty used to them as an option.
Does she eat Weetabix or, frankly, any packet cereal. My late mum who was proper old was told by a specialist that these are fortified with vitamins, even the mad sugary ones, so don't rule them out for seniors.
How is she with uht milk or powdered milk? Nido is full fat powdered milk (Amazon) Or most you can get in the supermarket is skimmed powdered milk if she is up for that.
I gave my in-laws a tub of Nido, some fray bentos pies, some tinned veg and potatoes. My mil is brilliant at making chapatis or naan bread - I gave her a bag of chickpea flour for that although she generally uses ordinary plain flour.
I'm older than my dh and they had him when they were quite young so there is only about 17 years between us grin

PrawnOfCreation Thu 14-Mar-19 10:04:21

I'm sick and tired of stretching a budget out to allow for a few extras. I know I'm lucky to have something to stretch, and the skills to make it go further. But doing the weekly shop and meal plan used to be fun.

Now I'm here with 9 months worth of kids multi vitamins in case prices go so high we can't afford much fruit. It's just so crap. We've been low before, had really rough times, I always managed to get fruit and veg into them though. Last night I got a shock seeing how far frozen veg doesn't stretch. 4 broccoli florets each and one large spoon of peas and the bags look half empty.

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 10:06:44

The M&S tinned ham is nice (DS and I taste tested one last week), though expensive. Worth it for anyone of a "meat and two veg" preference.

SparklySneakers Thu 14-Mar-19 10:11:30

I forgot, she's got UHT milk but not much. And a couple of small tins of M&S meat stuff to make a pie.
I'll get her some cornflakes and special k as she likes those. She's got vitamin tablets too.
She's 79. Have told her tinned spuds mixed with bits and bobs and fried up are nice. She's got vegetable oil too. She's definitely lacking in carbs. I've suggested she dedicate one freezer drawer for potato products.

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 10:16:10

Not sure if your mum is in "shonky general appetite " which happens with older people. This might be a good chance to chat with her generally and see if she fancies any old favourites which , coincidentally, tend to be shelf stable alternatives. You said custard powder - that is a brilliant one for tarting up a pud.

bellinisurge Thu 14-Mar-19 10:18:16

My mum also had a load of frozen baked potatoes in her freezer for herself and visitors. I think McCain do them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »