Talk

Advanced search

Westminstenders: A vote too far?

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Mon 10-Dec-18 09:16:13

The ECJ have ruled that the UK can unilaterally revoke A50.

There maybe lots of other news today, but that's the big one.

May has her big vote tomorrow. Or does she.

Will she survive until the end of the week?

Inniu Wed 12-Dec-18 00:20:21

I actually think for the first time that the Republic of Ireland would vote for unity if NI wanted it.
The clusterfuck that is Brexit makes us more proud of being Irish and less likely to exclude the people of NI and leave them under the indifferent and actively harmful rule of Westminster. I would even pay more tax to achieve unity at this stage something I would not have said 6 months ago.

GD12 Tue 11-Dec-18 23:16:09

Not sure.

Peregrina Tue 11-Dec-18 22:54:17

Now we see the consequences of messing around with the GFA and a no deal.

Am I correct in thinking that without the devolved Government in Stormont sitting, then no referendum can be called in NI, and it needs both RoI and NI to have one?

turnipsaretheonlyveg Tue 11-Dec-18 22:48:33

I think the sheer cost of it is a major concern. It doesn't mean things c

GD12 Tue 11-Dec-18 22:48:32

@skydavidblevin
In a telephone call tonight, Sinn Fein leader @MaryLouMcDonald told @theresa_may that a referendum on Irish unity must be held in the event of a no deal #Brexit.

Now we see the consequences of messing around with the GFA and a no deal.

DoctorTwo Tue 11-Dec-18 22:45:02

Where did Leadsom get her ideas about the EU giving huge last-minute concessions to Greece?!

Fuck knows @ElenadeClermont. We have to remember Loathsome is a serial liar like her boss Sturmbahnfuhrer May. I'm not ruling out drugs though.

Apileofballyhoo Tue 11-Dec-18 22:44:10

Of course there are problems with unity and it would be costly and Ireland would be stuck with the DUP. But I'm hoping the EU would help out.

1tisILeClerc Tue 11-Dec-18 22:42:58

Germany managed it but it was a struggle and didn't have quite so much 'baggage'.

Peregrina Tue 11-Dec-18 22:42:32

They have all be in Favor of close ties but they saw many problems with unity.

Would these problems be greater that seeing the UK crashing out of the EU though? Given that there have been 20 years of peace after the GFA, and more links between the two have been forged, I suspect the problems now would be fewer than 20 years ago. I don't know, it's just an opinion.

turnipsaretheonlyveg Tue 11-Dec-18 22:37:46

The Republic of Ireland would be taking on plenty of problems with NI integration and I haven't in my personal experience spoken to an Irish person living in the Republic that wanted this to happen. They have all be in Favor of close ties but they saw many problems with unity.

1tisILeClerc Tue 11-Dec-18 22:33:12

Of course the ultimate terror would not be Theresa revoking A50 now/soon but actually declaring OUT now!

TokyoSushi Tue 11-Dec-18 22:31:47

I think she was due back, visit to Ireland tomorrow only seems to have been arranged quite late on today, so perhaps not much time to make overnight arrangements too, maybe.

Stockpiling to start reasonably soon I think, but people might get Christmas out of the way first!

TokyoSushi Tue 11-Dec-18 22:31:20

I think she was due back, visit to Ireland tomorrow only seems to have been arranged quite late on today, so perhaps not much time to make overnight arrangements too, maybe.

1tisILeClerc Tue 11-Dec-18 22:30:30

{But Scotland would be left with a hard border with England/Wales. And a host of other problems in trying to go it alone.}
Well a 'hard' border with the UK wouldn't be the security threat of NI and scarily, Boris was proposing a bridge between NI and Scotland. It is about the only solid proposal that has come from a 'leaver' about whatever might happen after March 2019.

BlueEyeshadow Tue 11-Dec-18 22:29:46

Incidentally, statement from our MP on the current interesting state of affairs cites "100s of letters from constituents" as factoring into his decision making. He might not answer them, but apparently they do make a difference.

Peregrina Tue 11-Dec-18 22:29:28

She revokes in the morning and is outed in the afternoon.

While declaring, "Let me be clear, nothing has changed, nothing has changed, Brexit means Brexit and I intend to make a success of it."

GD12 Tue 11-Dec-18 22:28:45

@j_amesp

It’s apparent to @GuyDorrellEsq and I that the probability of a no deal exit has almost reached 100% given the news on the confidence vote within the Tory party & the EU’s predicted ramping of planning.

We’re recording a new episode of #TheFall on Friday. In the meantime, brace.

Coggle Tue 11-Dec-18 22:28:25

When will there be a big move by unpolitical people to start stockpiling I wonder.

Coggle Tue 11-Dec-18 22:27:41

I was expecting a No Deal anyway. Didn't expect it to be so dramatic though.

Coggle Tue 11-Dec-18 22:26:55

NI was going to leave the UK and join Republic of Ireland at some point anyway - higher Catholic birthrate. Brexit just makes it a more obvious and urgent thing to do.
But Scotland would be left with a hard border with England/Wales. And a host of other problems in trying to go it alone.

GD12 Tue 11-Dec-18 22:25:26

Is anyone else struggling to see how we don't get a no deal at the moment?

1tisILeClerc Tue 11-Dec-18 22:21:35

{ A Tory party leadership battle is not what the country needs now but maybe it will at least lead to an extension of a50.}
With the amount of messing about that has been and is going on the chances of an extension are pretty low surely, and doesn't it have to be at least a majority of the EU27 approving it?
There is no way they want any risk of Farage reappearing for another term.

Holidayshopping Tue 11-Dec-18 22:19:30

apparently the Chief Whip has just arrived at No 10, just in time for TM's return from Brussels, but late for a social visit...

Has she been summoned back or was she due back tonight anyway??

TatianaLarina Tue 11-Dec-18 22:16:14

honestly am completely flabbergasted by the events of this week

I’m really not. This has been coming for 2.5 years.

I thought we might have this show down earlier tbh, but Parliament was too chicken.

Glitteryfrog Tue 11-Dec-18 22:14:49

But TM wasn't voted in as leader last time. She was last woman standing when everyone else backed away.

ERG don't actually want to lead, they just want to shout from the sidelines and not have any responsibility.

This thread is not accepting new messages.