Talk

Advanced search

When MPs vote on December 11th-what are the possible outcomes?!

(82 Posts)
Holidayshopping Tue 27-Nov-18 19:34:51

If enough people (more than half) agree the plan, Brexit goes ahead and Theresa May and the conservatives remain in power.

If not enough people vote yes, then what? What actually happens? Does that count as a vote of no confidence in the PM or not? Does Brexit still go ahead anyway?

Apologies if those are stupid questions that have been done to death.

Cuppaqueen Fri 30-Nov-18 10:47:43

@LouiseCollins28 Thanks for sharing your letter.

Personally, I think Labour committed to two conflicting things here: 'Labour accepts the referendum result and a Labour government will put the national interest first.'

The 'deal' May has done is demonstrably NOT in the national interest. It will hamper our economy, with all the negative consequences for jobs and services, leave us as rule-takers not rule-makers for a currently unlimited period of time, and curtail opportunities for millions of Britons.

At the moment Labour policy is to fight for an alternative vision of Brexit, inside the SM and CU. Personally I think that's also daft when we'd be better off staying in, but it's possible to argue that it is still respecting the result.

(Although I fail to see why accepting the referendum result precludes asking a follow-up now the terms of the real 'deal' are on offer. It's hardly a re-run when the question is different and, crucially, much of the bullshit is removed.)

A bad 'deal', which May's is, may be better than no deal (she's changed her tune though!) but both are demonstrably worse than no Brexit. No Brexit is the best way of meeting the other half of Labour's promise!

LouiseCollins28 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:11:16

@cuppaqueen. thanks for kind words, and your response. I partly agree with you that the Labour party committed itself to different things in 2017.

If, as you suggest, No Brexit is the best way of "putting the national interest first" then why, I wonder, did the Labour party commit to anything else in 2017?

If "No brexit" is the optimum outcome, how does that meet the "respecting the result" bit?

Cuppaqueen Fri 30-Nov-18 13:04:59

@LouiseCollins28 Well, I think Labour was partly making a political choice in 2017 because large numbers of voters in some Labour seats voted Leave. And of course Corbyn is pretty anti-EU. Plus they probably didn't realise themselves how difficult it would be to make a success of Brexit!

As to how 'no Brexit' is respecting the result, it isn't - unless there is a follow-up referendum, which is why I personally support one. Failing that, Labour could make a case for a very soft Brexit inside SM and CU if they ditch Theresa May's red lines around free movement. However, to do that, they first have to defeat the withdrawal agreement.

Yaralie Sun 02-Dec-18 20:17:27

THe Labour Party made the wrong call, possibly because JC has always been a closet brexiter. The fact is that most Labour Ms, most LP members and most LP voters voted REMAIN.

derxa Mon 03-Dec-18 12:13:43

I spent time with my brexiteer family this week- farming folk, very rural. They have absolutely NO understanding of how Brexit (deal or no deal) is going to affect their industry. Pull the other one

lettuceWrap Tue 04-Dec-18 17:27:42

No joke.
Admittedly alcohol had been consumed but there were many “It’s not going to affect us, we’ll just keep doing what we’ve always done, we were fine before the EU and we’ll be fine after it” comments.

derxa Tue 04-Dec-18 17:34:29

That's just bravado and I feel a bit like that myself. It's a lot better than whining in my book. We farming folk have been bombarded with info from NFU etc. To say they know nothing about it is rubbish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »