Talk

Advanced search

Can we critique TM’s letter because it doesn’t seem to be based in reality to me

(76 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 16:45:33

How exactly are we regaining control of our borders, money and laws?

Does she honestly think if she says it enough it’s true?

Jason118 Sun 25-Nov-18 16:47:46

She has to say that because that's what leavers voted for.

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 16:48:01

The letter

When I became your prime minister the United Kingdom had just voted to leave the European Union.

From my first day in the job, I knew I had a clear mission before me – a duty to fulfil on your behalf: to honour the result of the referendum and secure a brighter future for our country by negotiating a good Brexit deal with the EU.

Throughout the long and complex negotiations that have taken place over the last year and a half, I have never lost sight of that duty.

Today, I am in Brussels with the firm intention of agreeing a Brexit deal with the leaders of the other 27 EU nations

It will be a deal that is in our national interest – one that works for our whole country and all of our people, whether you voted ‘Leave’ or ‘Remain’.

It will honour the result of the referendum.

We will take back control of our borders, by putting an end to the free movement of people once and for all.

Instead of an immigration system based on where a person comes from, we will build one based on the skills and talents a person has to offer.

We will take back control of our money, by putting an end to vast annual payments to the EU.

Instead, we will be able to spend British taxpayers’ money on our own priorities, like the extra £394m per week that we are investing in our long-term plan for the NHS.

And we will take back control of our laws, by ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK.

In future, our laws will be made, interpreted and enforced by our own courts and legislatures.

We will be out of EU programmes that do not work in our interests: out of the Common Agricultural Policy, that has failed our farmers, and out of the Common Fisheries Policy, that has failed our coastal communities.

Instead, we will be able to design a system of agricultural support that works for us and we will be an independent coastal state once again, with full control over our waters.

The deal also protects the things we value.

EU citizens who have built their lives in the United Kingdom will have their rights protected, as will UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU.

A free trade area will allow goods to flow easily across our borders, protecting the many skilled jobs right across the country that rely on integrated supply-chains.

Because our European friends will always be our allies in the fight against terrorism and organised crime, the deal will ensure that security co-operation will continue, so we can keep our people safe.

As prime minister of the United Kingdom, I have from day one been determined to deliver a Brexit deal that works for every part of our country – for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, for our Overseas Territories like Gibraltar, and also for the Crown Dependencies.

This deal will do that.

Crucially, it will protect the integrity of our United Kingdom and ensure that there will be no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland – so people can live their lives as they do now.

It is a deal for a brighter future, which enables us to seize the opportunities that lie ahead

Outside the EU, we will be able to sign new trade deals with other countries and open up new markets in the fastest-growing economies around the world.

With Brexit settled, we will be able to focus our energies on the many other important issues facing us here at home: keeping our economy strong, and making sure every community shares in prosperity; securing our NHS for the future, giving every child a great start in life, and building the homes that families need; tackling the burning injustices that hold too many people back, and building a country for the future that truly works for everyone.

On 29 March next year, the United Kingdom will leave the European Union.

We will then begin a new chapter in our national life.

Kezzie200 Sun 25-Nov-18 16:49:05

Anybody read all the pages that understands? Surely she cant be lying?

Kewqueue Sun 25-Nov-18 16:49:23

EU citizens who have built their lives in the United Kingdom will have their rights protected, as will UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU. I would love to know what this actually means!

AutumnCrow Sun 25-Nov-18 16:49:23

She's either insane or a bloody good liar.

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 16:49:44

She has to say that because that's what leavers voted for.

But why aren’t they questioning the fact that none of it is actually true?

She ends by saying ‘on 29th March next year we leave the EU’

Even that’s not fucking true!

QuentinLettsisAbitofAtool Sun 25-Nov-18 17:14:58

I have thought for some time that she has a personality disorder.

Miljah Sun 25-Nov-18 17:25:16

With Brexit settled, we will be able to focus our energies on the many other important issues facing us here at home: keeping our economy strong, and making sure every community shares in prosperity; securing our NHS for the future, giving every child a great start in life, and building the homes that families need; tackling the burning injustices that hold too many people back, and building a country for the future that truly works for everyone.

So, um- what have you been fannying around doing over the past eight years? Why do you need to consider these needs after 'Brexit is settled'?

Maybe if you'd done a few of them, you wouldn't've had the Northern Backlash, aimed at you, the Tories, dressed up as 'The EU', by people feeling disenfranchised by you but not educated enough to recognise a monumental Own Goal......

1tisILeClerc Sun 25-Nov-18 17:41:51

That's no way to speak about a Furby!

Havanananana Sun 25-Nov-18 17:48:55

Almost every paragraph is a lie - either directly untrue or a lie by omission.

With Brexit settled, we will be able to focus our energies on the many other important issues facing us here at home

Why have governments, of both persuasions, been ignoring the pressing domestic problems for the last 40 years? What have any of the problems regarding employment, housing, education, healthcare, crime, infrastructure etc got to do with EU membership?

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 17:51:33

Almost every paragraph is a lie - either directly untrue or a lie by omission

Totally agree.

What I don’t understand is why Leavers are not questioning it further.

We are getting a shit deal with all the rules and nothing in return.

Why would we want tha5 more than the deal we currently have.

whymewhynow Sun 25-Nov-18 18:36:25

@guitarmoog has done an excoriating 58-tweet response to it which covers everything and then some. She is breathtakingly cynical or delusional if she thinks for one minute that letter will make any difference at all.

Peregrina Sun 25-Nov-18 18:52:11

Why oh why isn't there a little boy or girl to call out that the Emperor (or Empress in this case), far from being dressed in finery, is stark naked?

1tisILeClerc Sun 25-Nov-18 18:56:54

Europe has got bored with this game and May's deal is pretty much 'it' so if the UK doesn't like it the choice is pretty much 'no deal'.
IF there were a significant willingness to actually remain that might be considered and MIGHT get an extension of a couple of weeks or so.

gamerwidow Sun 25-Nov-18 19:03:00

EU citizens who have built their lives in the United Kingdom will have their rights protected, as will UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU.
I think she might be referring to their ability to apply for settled status for £49. It’s being rolled out to NHS and other key staff first and then all other EU citizens currently working in the UK. The NHS Trust where I work are paying the £49 application fee for any EU staff who want to apply for settled status under the scheme. I hope other organisations follow suit.

Kewqueue Sun 25-Nov-18 19:05:05

gamerwidow - unless it includes FOM for UK citizens abroad then it's not worth much!

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 19:06:40

What I just don’t get is Leavers who swan around saying it’s a shit deal but at least we will have left.

No we won’t.

We’ve lost our seat at the table and still have to abide by the rules.

Even the holy grail FOM restriction isn’t going to happen to any further extent than it could always have done

What is wrong with people?

Why do they listen to this shit?

gamerwidow Sun 25-Nov-18 19:07:44

I think the deal on offer is worst than Remaining but better than any that would have been negotiated by Rees Mog et al.
I don’t think ‘not terrible’ should be the high watermark for what’s on offer though.

gamerwidow Sun 25-Nov-18 19:08:48

Kewqueue true any deal offered is unlikely to match or better what we currently have.

Helpmemyhairisterrible Sun 25-Nov-18 19:10:57

There's still nothing in this letter that explains HOW everything will happen or WHY the status quo is so very detrimental to the UK now. And £394 million a week for the NHS is the big fat lie the whole shambles was based on in the first place.

I feel a bit sad that she'll go down in history as the scapegoat for something that was never intended in the first place. If she'd had a 'normal' set of issues to deal with she probably would have made a good PM.

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 19:11:51

Could somebody please explain how the FOM restrictions under this deal are more stringent than those we could have achieved anyway?

Bearbehind Sun 25-Nov-18 19:13:12

I feel a bit sad that she'll go down in history as the scapegoat for something that was never intended in the first place

I don’t. She knew exactly what she was getting into.

crunchydatola Sun 25-Nov-18 19:14:30

It's as good a withdrawal deal as we could have hoped for.
It is only a withdrawal deal.
The future trade deal is going to be very much harder to negotiate and will make the withdrawal deal look like rainbows & unicorns after all.

1tisILeClerc Sun 25-Nov-18 19:15:24

The 'deal' on offer is intended to be harsh to force the UK to actually decide what it wants. It does however allow JIT affected activities to continue so not destroying the country.
Finding anyone to be 'decisive' and actually lead the country is going to be difficult as UK gov and labour are just rats fighting in a sack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: