Talk

Advanced search

Majority now support remain

(110 Posts)
SoloD Fri 10-Aug-18 11:09:54

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45098550

If there were to be a second referendum now, 52% would vote Remain and 48% Leave, an average of polls over the past three months suggests.

We must have a #peoplesvote on Brexit as the Brexit we are getting is not the one which was promised.

Peregrina Fri 10-Aug-18 11:33:26

It still needs to be more, either for Leave or Remain. Something like that should never have been subject to a simple majority.

The trouble is, what was promised? Good luck with getting a Leaver to tell you in words which are a) not soundbites, and b) not something already within the competence of Westminster to deliver if they so choose.

MyBrexitUnicornDied Sat 11-Aug-18 10:28:12

So the country is still divided. sad

At least things are moving in the right direction.

SoloD Sun 12-Aug-18 09:29:05

Both Boris Johnson and Micheal Groves constituencies have switch support to remain, these are just 2 of over a 100.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/more-than-100-pro-leave-constituencies-switch-to-remain?CMP=twt_gu

Brexit is losing all legitimacy, parliament is utterly divided, so take such a huge decision against the will of the people is criminal.

talesfromabrokenmind Sun 12-Aug-18 09:36:17

Good idea...we should also have a general election every time the polls switch in favour of the opposition...

UnnecessaryFennel Sun 12-Aug-18 09:40:34

Please tell me that you understand the difference between this referendum and a general election, brokenmind?

EngTech Sun 12-Aug-18 09:44:29

Tales

I second that 😀👍

Have a GE / 2nd Referendum every time the wrong result is announced

On a serious note, the people voted, it’s called democracy ie what the people wanted

Some results go the way you want, some don’t

Jason118 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:47:22

Eng tech - so how does the Brexit we're heading for compare with what you voted for?

Sugarhunnyicedtea Sun 12-Aug-18 09:47:23

But didn't the polls predict remain would win by a small majority originally?

Sugarhunnyicedtea Sun 12-Aug-18 09:49:51

And isn't that almost exactly the same percentages (albeit the other way round)? Is it ok to remain on that basis but not leave?

Jason118 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:52:36

I think it's obvious to many that the vote was ridiculously framed. Remain (things stay the same, you know what your voting for), or leave ( a myriad of sunny uplands and greener grass with no actual picture of what we would end up with). Seems leavers were seriously misled.

bellinisurge Sun 12-Aug-18 09:54:34

We have until March to sort this. It won't be sorted by then. We are leaving.

talesfromabrokenmind Sun 12-Aug-18 09:56:00

unnecessary Yes thanks

UnnecessaryFennel Sun 12-Aug-18 10:24:01

So, if you understand that they are different, why did you draw a parallel between the two? If you understand that they are two different things, can you explain why a second vote would be problematic?

bellinisurge Sun 12-Aug-18 10:28:08

Calling another referendum would be a problem because there are enough idiots who would dig their heels in for Leave because it would be characterised as a "Remain wants you to keep voting until you agree with them" rather than "For Fuck's Sake , this is stupid, let's stop".

BonnieF Sun 12-Aug-18 10:34:58

52:48 in an opinion poll is well within the margin of error.

I would love to stop Brexit by any means possible, but the politicians will only start taking notice of polls when they show a decisive move in public opinion, sustained ove time, eg >60:40.

bellinisurge Sun 12-Aug-18 10:50:41

Here's a conundrum: if that wanker Corbyn said that Labour is now for stopping Leave and there was a GE ... would you hold your nose and vote Labour?

Parker231 Sun 12-Aug-18 10:54:39

There can’t be another vote every time there is an outcome you don’t like. It’s not a football match with replays. TM has already said there won’t be another referendum.

talesfromabrokenmind Sun 12-Aug-18 11:06:46

unnecessary because there are parallels...the electorate were asked to vote for something...in the case of a general election for a government for a 5 year term and in the case of the referendum for a one-off binary choice to remain in or leave the EU

TerfsUp Sun 12-Aug-18 11:09:38

Here's a conundrum: if that wanker Corbyn said that Labour is now for stopping Leave and there was a GE ... would you hold your nose and vote Labour?

Nope. I was - and still am - a Remainer. However, I don't trust JC or the Labour Party one bit. They can promise all they like but I don't believe that they are willing or able to deliver.

UnnecessaryFennel Sun 12-Aug-18 11:30:43

brokenmind - for a fixed-term parliament, or for a decision (that was advisory in law, deeply flawed, and that many people didn't truly understand) that will affect us for generations to come. Not comparable.

Yaralie Sun 12-Aug-18 11:55:26

TM has already said there won’t be another referendum.- and TM said last year there would not be a General Election. What happened next?

maizieD Sun 12-Aug-18 16:28:40

There can’t be another vote every time there is an outcome you don’t like. It’s not a football match with replays

IOs that an unfortunate analogy? In football, if one side is caught cheating doesn't that annul the result?

(and I'm talking of the whole team, not individual players)

jasjas1973 Sun 12-Aug-18 16:56:33

T.May called a snap GE 2 years after the previous GE.... Why ? because it didn't deliver the result she wanted..........

Chrisinthemorning Sun 12-Aug-18 18:11:44

Bellini- I have voted Tory all my life but I also voted remain. If voting Labour meant stopping Brexit I would do it, so would DH.
Does that help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: