Talk

Advanced search

Any remainers here who don't think civilisation is about to collapse?

(336 Posts)
Bloodylovepotatoes Mon 30-Jul-18 15:25:31

<dons hard hat>

Die hard remainer here. Was gutted with referendum result, but I think it'll probably be a bit crap after for a while, then it'll level out and basically be fine. Don't think society will collapse.

Apparently this is a very unpopular opinion and either I should be a defiant leaver saying all will be wonderful and we'll have our sovereignty back and our blue passports and all those nasty foreigners will be gone, or I should be boarding up all my doors and windows and preparing myself for economic collapse and societal disintegration?

Is there no one like me?! No middle ground????

SoyDora Mon 30-Jul-18 15:27:01

I agree with you. I’m a staunch remainer and think Brexit is a big mistake, but I don’t think it’s the end of civilisation as we know it! In fact I think all this scaremongering is making a mockery of the whole thing.

Blankscreen Mon 30-Jul-18 15:27:59

Tbh I'm just so confused by everything I've stopped listening to the news.

The thing I don't get is why is this being made into a political issue and therefore subject to the whims/craziness of the Tory party surely it would be better if there was a cross party team working on it

LARLARLAND Mon 30-Jul-18 15:30:54

I also a remainer and I don’t believe we’re doomed. Nobody can predict what the consequences will be and I think every situation such as this has good and bad unitentended consequences but we should have the resilience and the brains to solve any problems.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jul-18 15:33:13

I think the who negotiations are a total farce and I wish it was all over with but I am staying positive it will all work out eventually I am not stock piling paracetamol and beans either just calm down. I am from a remain area and nobody I know is panicking either.

Laughteronthewing Mon 30-Jul-18 15:33:53

I just have far too many other things on my mind at the moment to give it too much thought. But, I am also baffled and angered that we have ended up in this stupid, stupid situation. What a waste of time rescourse and energy being wasted by politicians that could be being used for so much else.

Bloodylovepotatoes Mon 30-Jul-18 15:34:30

Oh good, not just me then.

I just think really none of us have got a clue how it's going to go at the end of the day.

Tbh I'm just so confused by everything I've stopped listening to the news.

I agree!!!!

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jul-18 15:35:29

I have to agree just get on with the bloody thing

cholka Mon 30-Jul-18 15:37:38

Well personally I'm scared shitless that the economy will tank, DH and I will be made redundant and it will be far from fine. We were supposed to be trying for another baby and I'm 36 so there isn't oodles of time - but how can I do it with this going on?
We either have a deal that won't deliver anything people thought Brexit meant, or no deal which will mean serious and long-lasting economic chaos. Usually governments attempt reforms one area at a time and they can take a decade. This will be shaking up everything and pulling away the regulatory systems behind them.
Who knows if it's the end of civilisation but the right-wing populists driving things at the moment are frightening and fascist. They don't recognise common humanity. I just think people have had stability for so long that they are complacent and think Greek-style scenarios couldn't happen here.
Once the rule of law is undermined - which it is with all this 'traitors of the people' nonsense, Trump's attacks, right wing governments aligned with Farage types taking power in Hungary and Poland - corruption sinks in and then everything goes from bad to worse.

ConstantlyCold Mon 30-Jul-18 15:40:37

but I think it'll probably be a bit crap after for a while, then it'll level out and basically be fine. Don't think society will collapse

I think it could be pretty nasty. Remember the riots we had 7 years ago?

I’m worried we might see something like that again but on a larger scale. So no, not an out and out Walking Dead Style collapse of society.

But it’s going to get a lot worse - for entirely avoidable reasons.

Bloodylovepotatoes Mon 30-Jul-18 15:46:07

I do. I lived in Lewisham at the time, one of the worst hit areas. AFAIK we just picked up and carried on afterwards.

Agustarella Mon 30-Jul-18 15:47:03

Massive generalisation, but here goes: Remainers tend to be middle class and middle class people tend to be complacent. After all (they think) nothing bad ever happens to people like us, therefore nothing bad ever can happen to people like us - phew!

Many people are about to discover that the unthinkable is not in fact impossible.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 30-Jul-18 15:48:58

Therr a small minority of the site who are invading threads and getting people worked up, then there are the preoperative who want the world to descend into chaos and the people who want civilisation to fall apart to prove themselves right that voters are idiots.

Meanwhile a lot of posters are also getting swept up in the corners propoganda.

It's amazing to watch.

Bloodylovepotatoes Mon 30-Jul-18 15:49:03

Remainers tend to be middle class and middle class people tend to be complacent. After all (they think) nothing bad ever happens to people like us, therefore nothing bad ever can happen to people like us - phew!

My parents arrived in this country as political refugees having seen most of their loved ones in their home countries murdered. Perhaps it's precisely because I've grown up under that spectre that I don't feel this is going to be that bad.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jul-18 15:50:19

I am not middle class my country was remain though

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 30-Jul-18 15:51:41

Where i was at the time it boiled down to teens / young adults rilling themselves up through face book, police were on it quickly.

Bloodylovepotatoes Mon 30-Jul-18 15:52:04

Many people are about to discover that the unthinkable is not in fact impossible.

What is the unthinkable?

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 30-Jul-18 15:53:30

Similar thing is happening with the bizarre over the top threads on here.

ConstantlyCold Mon 30-Jul-18 15:53:43

I do. I lived in Lewisham at the time, one of the worst hit areas. AFAIK we just picked up and carried on afterwards

And if it’s worse? That was a tiny blip, I’ll confess I forgot it happened till someone reminded me. I’m not even sure what caused it. If there are issues with food supplies it will be far far worse than those riots.

I think agust is right we are complacent, it’s been peaceful in the U.K. for so long we’ve forgotten it actually takes effort and comprise to maintain a peaceful society.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 30-Jul-18 15:55:20

I can say the average person on the street is going to act normally after brexit, as generally day to day life now is more important for most.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jul-18 15:56:44

It is not the Day after tomorrow Agustrella that is the unthinkable

juneau Mon 30-Jul-18 15:56:53

Yes, I'm in this camp too. I was gutted (still am), about Brexit and I'm worried about what will happen if we 'crash out' with no deal. I think there could be a lot of chaos, there could be shortages and there could be civil unrest. I always worried about the immediate aftermath if the leave camp won.

However, in the long run, I think it will be okay and maybe, just maybe we will be better off outside the EU, making our own rules and not having to abide by the ECJ and Brussels. I do think we should be able to make and enforce our own laws, fish our territorial waters as we see fit and not have our fish stocks plundered by Danish and Spanish ships, decide how many migrants we should accept and what sort of migrants this country wants to attract, etc. But I am worried about March 2019 and I won't be booking any airline travel for the Easter holidays!

lljkk Mon 30-Jul-18 15:57:14

I'm fervent remainer & not catastrophising.
No plans to hoard food. More over, we've had some small personal benefits out of Brexit so far.
I'll live (grumble a bit) if we get Norway.
Brexit is obviously a stupid move that will make British nation net poorer, but generally folk will get needs met, so hey ho hum. The world is ruled by emotion, nowadays.

Would have been a disaster if Cameron had filed Article 50 on 24 June 2016 as promised. Presumably we'll have a riot if there is a revote & it goes Remain. There is no good way forward.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 30-Jul-18 15:57:22

I forgot it happened till someone reminded me.

Then, let's be honest, it's a pretty rubbish comparison.

ConstantlyCold Mon 30-Jul-18 16:03:41

Then, let's be honest, it's a pretty rubbish comparison

It’s an example of law and order breaking down - for absolutely no particular reason.

Now if we have a hike in food prices, a large number of job losses affecting thousands of people. It’s not beyond the wit of man to imagine it could cause unrest.

My arguement is not that the riots were an absolute calamity. But that the peace in society can fall to bits quite easily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: