Talk

Advanced search

The Brexit Arms

(1000 Posts)
BrexitArmsLandlady Thu 08-Mar-18 18:54:39

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

The Brexit thread.

By Brexiters, for Brexiters.

Remainers welcome, but gobshites & goadyfuckers are encouraged to take their business elsewhere.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

TalkinPeace Thu 08-Mar-18 18:57:40

Why did Arron Banks fund Leave.EU
Hmm ..... well, actually if you follow the money he didn't
He was lent the money to fund it
and will not be required to repay the loan
and the lender was a chum of Putin's

LondonMum8 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:20:53

"I've seen nothing that suggests this inference, let alone supports it."

That's because you look the other way when in proximity of any information detracting from the Brexit dream. The public was well aware of Banks' funding, and being rational agents they must have assumed pro bono intentions, the other options being that Leave voters knew of the funding by a shady 0.1%er and were either happy or didn't care, both far less charitable conclusions.

Moussemoose Thu 08-Mar-18 19:24:17

I want to talk more about the EU tax plan - sounds like a good idea to me.

If only we could remain.....

Cailleach1 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:24:37

Wow, lovely opener. Not. Thing is, it is not really a private property equivalent of a public house. It is an open public forum. Free speech, as long as it doesn't break guidelines which pertain to everyone equally, allowed. Even if you don't like their tone or view.

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 19:26:41

London, did you read the OP?

Cailleach1 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:34:00

Goodness. Someone in the last thread said they 'feel trapped by the EU'. Trapped. Is this 'cos of the referendum campaign? Or just the drip drip of poison over a longer period. How does the EU trap people? What does the EU stop an individual from doing? Not dodgy stuff.

Mistigri Thu 08-Mar-18 19:35:00

I wouldn't normally post on here but stupid goady OPs make me more likely to stick my remoaning oar in ;)

Tusk has confirmed that the EU will play hardball over Ireland and the GFA. This effectively means that the UK will not survive Brexit.

Moussemoose Thu 08-Mar-18 19:38:00

EU will play hardball or the EU will fight to defend its member states and their citizens.

I wish I belonged to an organisation that would fight really hard to defend me and support my interests.

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 19:41:06

The UK's negotiating team would benefit from Labour ceasing to actively collude & deliberately attempt to undermine.

I'm all for HM opposition holding the govt to account, but deliberate attempts to directly subvert the negotiations is operating against the best interests of the country.

DGRossetti Thu 08-Mar-18 19:42:36

Moussemoose Thu 08-Mar-18 19:44:19

That's an interesting point of view Faith could you explain how you came to that conclusion?

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 19:54:34

What conclusion?

That actively seeking to subvert is causing damage?

Or that Labour are colluding at all?

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 08-Mar-18 20:01:04

Labour are the main opposition party. It is their job to hold the government to account. Democracy, sovereignty? Remember the things leavers used to scream about?

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 08-Mar-18 20:03:16

Brexit isn’t in the best interests of the country, the governments own assessments admit this.

Brexit undermines the UKs economic future.

Moussemoose Thu 08-Mar-18 20:13:27

Well Faith the conclusion that you have come to. You think Labour are "colluding" with the EU. You must have evidence of meetings, emails, letters or perhaps news reports of them.

Otherwise, you are just making wild speculations.

Opposing government policy and holding it to account is the job of the opposition - colluding with others to undermine the U.K. is a serious accusation- you would obviously need proof for that.

LondonMum8 Thu 08-Mar-18 20:17:39

"deliberate attempts to directly subvert the negotiations is operating against the best interests of the country."

I'd argue that supporting Brexit clearly constitutes operating against the best interests of the country. TBH Labour have done very little in terms of opposition to Brexit and so far enabled it in the Parliament, so I'm putting them on a charge too :-)

Anyway, to get us focused again, I hope @mummy2017 will share her thoughts on Putin-linked Arron Banks along with a bunch of other 0.1% ers support/funding of Brexit. What could have possibly motivated such people?

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 20:43:16

Labour are the main opposition party. It is their job to hold the government to account. Democracy, sovereignty? Remember the things leavers used to scream about?

Presuming this is to me?

Please point to where I have said they shouldn't hold the govt to account.

Many thanks.

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 08-Mar-18 20:46:41

By using words like collude and subvert instead of β€œholding the gov to account.” Which is what you should be saying.

TalkinPeace Thu 08-Mar-18 20:47:45

deliberate attempts to directly subvert the negotiations is operating against the best interests of the country.
Faithhope
What evidence do you have that Her Majesty's Opposition are trying to subvert anything ?
Kier Startmer - as the shadow Brexit secretary - is maintaining channels with the EU
Its his job
The UK has a hung parliament
he would be neglecting his role if he did not stay on top of the issues

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 08-Mar-18 20:50:05

It’s just brexiteers trying to shift the blame away from themselves and the Tories. I bet brexiteers run faster than Cameron!

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 20:52:48

Mousse, there were rumours & bits & pieces over the last months, but not substantiated.

The last few weeks there have been more rumblings re the coordination between JC's speech & the EU leaks not being a coincidence.

Last week there was a couple of newspaper articles on the subject (still flimsy basis).

Today, a drafted press release (which wasn't released in the end) was leaked.
This showed that labour have been actively seeking to undermine the official negotiating team.

I absolutely expect the opposition to hold the govt to account within parliament, and within the UK via the proper channels (MSM, debates, speeches etc) but having their own 'negotiations' with the EU is undermining the country, which is very different.

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 20:54:47

By using words like collude and subvert instead of β€œholding the gov to account.” Which is what you should be saying.

So, words like this then?

"I'm all for HM opposition holding the govt to account"

(Which was in the same post, but somehow went unseen by you).

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 08-Mar-18 20:57:30

Then stop using words like collude based on rumours.

FaithHopeCharityDesperation Thu 08-Mar-18 21:04:34

It's what they're doing.

They're so hell bent on toppling the govt (which I get), that they're prepared to throw the UK under the bus to get there (which is contemptible).

I expect nothing less of Jezbollah though tbh - he's an arrogant twat with wholly misplaced delusions of grandeur.

This thread is not accepting new messages.