Talk

Advanced search

Petition: Parliament's vote on the Brexit deal must include an option to remain in the EU

(81 Posts)
Imbroglio Mon 20-Nov-17 23:52:06

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205169

Tin hat on.

NearlyChristmasNow Tue 21-Nov-17 00:03:05

Signed, thanks

Viviennemary Tue 21-Nov-17 00:08:40

That's a bit illogical. It's like saying a divorce deal should include the option to stay married. I voted for Brexit and Brexit it is. Hopefully.

Imbroglio Tue 21-Nov-17 00:23:12

Nothing illogical about it. It wasn't a landslide. The vote in 2016 was effectively between the status quo or change - now that we are getting an inkling of what change might mean we should have the option of saying 'no' to the alternative on offer.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 21-Nov-17 00:27:11

I thought it was no longer our option. That the 27 eu countries have to unanimously allow us to remain in the eu now A50 has been actioned.

Mistigri Tue 21-Nov-17 06:26:46

I thought it was no longer our option. That the 27 eu countries have to unanimously allow us to remain in the eu now A50 has been actioned.

Don't think it's that clear cut.

To extend A50 beyond March 2019 requires the approval of the EU27 (I think that if push came to shove agreement would be likely).

But there are divided legal opinions on withdrawing the A50 notification and lots of legal folk including the British peer who was involved in writing the clause think that there is nothing to prevent the UK unilaterally revoking that notification.

meditrina Tue 21-Nov-17 06:39:19

No, I don't think parliament should be able to overturn the results of a national referendum.

Imbroglio Tue 21-Nov-17 07:59:00

The result of the referendum wasn't binding. It's parliament who have decided to accept the result, but so far have not yet been able to say what Brexit will be. So yes it makes sense to me to consider not exiting if a workable alternative isn't available.

mrsquagmire Tue 21-Nov-17 08:15:31

Signed. We've lost the European Medicines Agency, the European Banking Authority, our seat on the International Court of Justice; food prices rising at fastest rate in 4 years (FT). When will people realise it's not just about waving flags?

RhinoGirl Tue 21-Nov-17 08:18:21

Isn’t democracy a wonderful thing.

Peregrina Tue 21-Nov-17 08:33:00

The seat on the International Court of Justice is something else, but it is a sign of our loss of status - whatever gloss you want to put on it. So much for being global and open for business. Tell people you want out of an organisation, and then refuse to confirm the status of those citizens. Have the Home Office making mistakes telling people entitled to stay here or in some cases born and bred here, to leave. Kick out 50,000 thousand students because some overstay their visas, then trouble yourself to do the research and find that students overstaying visas is a minor problem. Do all this and then wonder why you have lost status and prestige.

Peregrina Tue 21-Nov-17 08:41:04

I've signed but I think it will do a fat lot of good. Just about all the petitions I have come back with words to the effect of yah, boo, sucks to you. Not a considered reply to say they will take opinions on board.

lalalonglegs Tue 21-Nov-17 08:45:02

Also signed but, like Peregrina, have little hope of anyone in parliament treating it seriously sad.

AgnesSkinner Tue 21-Nov-17 09:16:02

Still waiting for those Brexit impact studies on the 58 sectors ...

CardinalSin Tue 21-Nov-17 10:09:11

Signed. After all, who but a despot would not want our sovereign parliament to make a decision of this magnitude.

Ttbb Tue 21-Nov-17 10:21:47

Phrasing could be better certainly. I doubt there would be a problem staying in, there are many reasons why the other member states wouldn't want Britain to leave. The greatest opposition would be internal. It really couldn't be done legitimately without another referendum, even with another vote there will be a certain element who use it as an excuse to riot.

Viviennemary Tue 21-Nov-17 13:25:36

The most anyone can hope for is another referendum which is just not going to happen. I certainly would vote for Brexit again. Having seen the hateful way the EU has behaved. They're not our friends. They'd love to see us fail. Horrible lot. So glad we're leaving.

CardinalSin Tue 21-Nov-17 13:50:58

Ah, because the EU is actually concerning themselves with EU members, and not letting us have our cake and eat it, they're being hateful. hmm

That's the entitled attitude that is ruining this country.

Viviennemary Tue 21-Nov-17 13:59:31

I think we should walk away with no deal. And boycott all goods from EU countries. I'm going to start to avoid buying anything from the EU if they don't change their attitude soon.

CardinalSin Tue 21-Nov-17 14:00:44

Good luck with that...

Viviennemary Tue 21-Nov-17 14:03:27

Thank you. We need to fight back against the injustice.

CardinalSin Tue 21-Nov-17 14:13:42

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RhiannonOHara Tue 21-Nov-17 17:37:02

I'm going to start to avoid buying anything from the EU if they don't change their attitude soon.

I can hear their hearts breaking.

sweetsherry Tue 21-Nov-17 18:10:05

You know that's a lot of stuff, right!?

lalalonglegs Tue 21-Nov-17 18:22:37

Hold fire, Vivienne, at this rate in a few months' time we won't be able to afford anything from the EU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now