Talk

Advanced search

The left wing argument for Brexit

(14 Posts)
justicewomen Sat 18-Nov-17 14:25:46

There is a very interesting article in politics.co.uk about Lexit at

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/11/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-lexit-in-five-minutes

Can people who support Brexit explain precisely why this is wrong, as it does seem very convincing? If it is right, I just hope that the leadership of the Labou Party start putting country before perceived ideological purity.... and start working with the anti hard Brexiteers in the Tory party

GoingIn Sat 18-Nov-17 23:11:20

Thanks for the link, I've been wondering about the left-wing brexiter view as it seems that vast majority of brexit supporters are also tory supporters. But I'm sure there must be some leavers who are leftist. It was an interesting article, I knew that EU is absolutely far from perfect and will need so many reforms for example that viking ruling etc but I fear that by leaving the EU, the UK government is now free to build a very neo-liberal US style system. And from the face of it, it seems that many voters are either blind to see that it's a real threat or are actually in support of it.

howabout Sun 19-Nov-17 10:36:25

"I just hope that the leadership of the Labou Party start putting country before perceived ideological purity.... and start working with the anti hard Brexiteers in the Tory party"

Yes I imagine it would suit those on the Right far better if the UK just went back to the cosy arrangement of 2 Right wing parties plus a bunch of Libertarians holding the jackets in the "Centre". biscuit for you and the Dunt guru.

woman11017 Sun 19-Nov-17 10:41:27

Lexiteers seem to be shrugging the fact that the actual brexit being implemented is a a right wing one. I think that might be to do with a marxist model that capitalism has to become unbearable before it's overthrown.

There's a stunning lack of originality or pragmatism in those on left who continue to refer to EU as if it's simply a trading bloc, using obsolete early 70s arguments which were then broadly supported in the old labour party.

No use to man nor beast, this view atm. confused

Probably because they're mainly men who're not watching in horror as the price of groceries jumps up or EU/UK mums are threatened with deportation.

woman11017 Sun 19-Nov-17 10:47:34

plus a bunch of Libertarians holding the jackets in the "Centre
Who's holding the jackets for lexit and brexit?

GhostofFrankGrimes Sun 19-Nov-17 13:41:27

The left wing argument needed to be won in the 1970's. Essentially the opening of markets/trade would have a detrimental effect of local workforce/economy. This is a valid argument essentially an anti capitalist one.

Unfortunately Brexit is not going to free the UK from the mercy of globalisation and free market economics. Brexit attempts to swap one market (the EU) for others (new trade deals). It'll still be to the detriment of local workers/economy but with potentially less worker safeguards thrown in as well.

The supposed left wing argument on Brexit is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That is why reform from within would have achieved far more.

justicewomen Sun 19-Nov-17 14:19:38

howabout

So how is the neo liberal model of Brexit that Davies, Gove, Banks, Johnson,Fox , Dyson, Rees-Mogg and the like (one with flexible hiring and firing; selling off the bits of the NHS that'll create profits to the mega-corps, being relaxed with food banks rather than a welfare state) etc going to suit the ordinary working classes that the lexiters profess to support?

Even the basic lack of preparation for the chaos after Brexit Day should send sensible people rushing to find cross party solutions to really difficult issues, that are being ignored apparently in favour of internal jostling and quest for ideological purity

(Amused that I got my first biscuit...badge of honour!)

howabout Sun 19-Nov-17 14:57:17

I see you're still obsessed with the Tory civil war. Getting Labour to agree with GO / Nicky Morgan / Ken Clarke et al is an interesting pov on delivering a Brexit for the Many.

woman11017 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:03:10

delivering a Brexit for the Many
We've had a little think about brexit and decided no thanks. smile

Cactusjelly00 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:07:48

Lexit? Really?
Ffs. Must there be a funny name for everything to do with this?

woman11017 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:17:59

there be a funny name for everything to do with this?
'Regrexiteers'
lots are joining the growing remain groups across the country. smile

howabout Sun 19-Nov-17 15:18:29

"You might be a centrist if you believe stopping Brexit is the only real political issue in Britain today, and forget all those people at the food banks".

www.redpepper.org.uk/you-might-be-a-centrist-if/

Not always on the same page as Owen, but I think he states the case in a pretty conciliatory and thus accessible tone here.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/17/centrists-attack-left-extremists-labour-moderates

woman11017 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:25:03

stopping Brexit is the only real political issue in Britain today, and forget all those people at the food banks

Many of us think both are the most important issues.

Owen Jones, conciliatory? grin

howabout Sun 19-Nov-17 15:37:20

This made me chortle. grin

web.archive.org/web/20160324191557/http://hopisen.com:80/2014/how-to-win-an-argument-on-twitter/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: