Talk

Advanced search

11pm, 29th March 2019 - What Do We Need Between Now and Then?

(18 Posts)
fialor Fri 10-Nov-17 14:53:48

So the Prime Minister wants to include the actual time that we leave the EU in the BREXIT Bill going through parliament at present.
That got me thinking; what do we need to have ready, or do to be ready, for the 29th?

Where do you see the impact; personally, professionally, cutting across geographic movements, fiscal movements, etc.

Discuss grin

GhostofFrankGrimes Sat 11-Nov-17 15:51:48

Ask public bodies, businesses and civil servants who will be running round like headless chickens trying to make Brexit "work". 16 months is not long enough.

annandale Sat 11-Nov-17 15:56:21

I would assume, knowing very little about it, that borders, customs and coastguarding will be a major stream of work. The UK has the potential for big growth in organised crime ventures such as drugs, untaxed fags and alcohol, with a big eager market, a desperate need to keep trade flowing and a massive coastline.

GhostofFrankGrimes Sat 11-Nov-17 15:58:52

The UK has the potential for big growth in organised crime ventures such as drugs, untaxed fags and alcohol, with a big eager market, a desperate need to keep trade flowing and a massive coastline.

and combating organised crime will cost the tax payer.

TheElementsSong Sat 11-Nov-17 18:17:54

We need to all sit down in a big circle, thinking Positive Thoughts and chanting the English equivalent of "Ommmmmmm..." and that will be literally all that is needed to make Brexit a Success.

twofingerstoEverything Sun 12-Nov-17 10:38:10

Yes, as Elements says, we need to do a lot of positive thinking - negativity is the only thing that will prevent a 'good' Brexit.
We also need to be building the infrastructure for a solid manufacturing base so that we have lots of lovely stuff to trade with the rest of the world.
Finally, we need to train tens of thousands of home-grown doctors and nurses because we want British jobs for British people, not foreign people coming here and forcing down wages/taking our housing/jobs/sucking up school places and healthcare...

TheNumberfaker Mon 13-Nov-17 07:25:30

We need to Stop Brexit!

NameChanger22 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:56:51

We need to all sit down in a big circle, thinking Positive Thoughts and chanting the English equivalent of "Ommmmmmm..." and that will be literally all that is needed to make Brexit a Success.

My sense of humour exactly.

fialor Mon 13-Nov-17 16:08:54

TheNumberfaker, how would you do that exactly?

fialor Mon 13-Nov-17 16:10:36

GhostofFrankGrimes, I think it is clear there are no clear and straightforward answers for BREXIT.
What are you doing to get ready? What will the impact on your personally be?

fialor Mon 13-Nov-17 16:16:26

Elements and TwoFingers, I don't think it is negativity to discuss how we plan for/see BREXIT happening and its impact. Surely you both have concerns, doubts, hopes, aspirations, as far as BREXIT is concerned, regardless of which of the BREXIT divide you fall on?

TwoFingers, how do you propose to bridge the gap between now and when BREXIT takes? Who pays for the training, how does the country recruit if as you say and I quote "Foreigners" are not to take our jobs. The, and I quote, "Foreigners" do the job that most people either do not want to do, or for which there is no interest. And I am not talking about low skill jobs either.

GhostofFrankGrimes Mon 13-Nov-17 16:30:00

What are you doing to get ready?

I renewed my Irish passport (dual national).

What will the impact on your personally be?

I work in the public sector so hopefully ok employment wise. Fixed term mortgage is up for renewal in 2019 so that should be interesting.

twofingerstoEverything Mon 13-Nov-17 19:08:37

I obviously needed to add a sarcasm emoticon to my post.

thecatfromjapan Tue 14-Nov-17 05:02:51

I've been thinking back to Russia after the fall of Communism for parallels. Going into organised crime and/or working abroad seems to be a safe bet. Or working in the nuclear industry/munitions. Public sector employees were often not paid for months at a time - but at least people in those last two sectors were able to steal weapons/nuclear materials to sell to foreign powers. Admittedly, it was those with well-placed access who were able to do this.

TheNumberfaker Tue 14-Nov-17 07:11:27

Polls, petitions and private correspondence to MPs/Lords.
Never been on a march before in my life, but I've now been on 3. I've also been engaging people online to try to dispel all the lies and misconceptions that have been spread for the last 40 years.
If we give up then the billionaires will win. It's not about sovereignty and control for the peopleof the U.K., it's all about tax evasion and power for the few!

HipToBeSquare Tue 14-Nov-17 07:15:02

Is a fuckload of stuff a sicinct enough answer 🤔😂

TheElementsSong Tue 14-Nov-17 07:27:23

I obviously needed to add a sarcasm emoticon to my post.

Me too grin

Mightybanhammer Thu 16-Nov-17 19:00:36

Personal preps

Curb your domestic expenditure, save what you can. If you have considerable savings, be aware of the deposit protection scheme limits and ensure you are not exposed through saving with different institutions in the same group.

Whatever your occupation or income level, make a plan for redundancy. Factor in future and permanent payments for private health care for you and your family

Prepare not to rely on your pension paying out quite what you expect or in the case of the state pension, when you expect it.

Educate yourself on what Brexit might mean for you. The information that should have been out there and promoted in the run up to June 2016 is out there now.

Nationally

The re negotiation of 120 regulatory trade contracts a week between now and end March 2019 for a start.

Finding somewhere else to build the M20 lorry park to cope with the backed-up freight lorries (now planning has been rejected)and build it.

Upgrade the computer system at hmcts that covers customs paperwork, to deal seamlessly with an absolutely massive increase in applications. Fund it. Fund a back up. Test both. Implement it. Fix all the bugs. Employ extra admin staff to work it.

Build infrastructure at all our ports to deal with customs inspections.

Recruit and Train thousands of customs inspectors

Recruit hundreds of experienced international trade negotiators.

Employ tens of thousands more civil servants to deal with the myriad of implications across government.

Fund the multi million pound agri enviro schemes which keeps near-subsistence farmers in business and whose work makes the beautiful countryside what it is.

Make available millions of pounds in legal aid so low income consumers can sue manufacturers for faulty products imported into the uk once all that nasty eu red tape ( which protects us from harm whether in foodstuffs, mechanical devices or pharmaceuticals) has been dispensed .

Or we could have not done this at all. If there is any way at all to row back from this monumental catastrophe I hope it is taken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now