Talk

Advanced search

Obtaining a second passport - worth it?

(13 Posts)
Margomyhero Wed 11-Oct-17 16:23:38

I have been considering applying for a second passport to bypass any possible difficulties entering European countries in the future after Brexit.

My DF is Hungarian. He was born there so as far as I know I should be able to get one.

Has anyone done similar? Is it likely to be worth the effort.

I speak no Hungarian other than yes, no and thank you very much..

grin

Teapot13 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:31:48

I don't know if it's worth it. Have you looked at the rules at all? Many countries only allow non-residents to get a passport by descent. For adults going through a naturalization process you usually have to live in the country. No idea about Hungary's specific rules.

GoldenMama Wed 11-Oct-17 16:40:53

I'd say if you have the option to then do it.

Margomyhero Wed 11-Oct-17 16:44:24

I read up a little online. I can get it by descent I believe.

danTDM Wed 11-Oct-17 16:49:53

Yes, of course you have a right to it. I have seen a lawyer and marriage to a citizen for 1 year or 10 years residency, gives you a right.

I'm not sure myself of the benefit though? (Spain) Traveling together would be easier and I could vote. I think that's it really!
My DD is Spanish though, do you have DC's?

fionnbharr Wed 11-Oct-17 16:59:46

Make sure that acquiring the passport will not give that country a right to tax you and/or your estate on death.
Unless of course you wish to participate fully in the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.

danTDM Wed 11-Oct-17 17:04:27

YY to fionn.

Be careful about that.

Personally, after consulting my lawyer, I am staying British. 100%.

Margomyhero Wed 11-Oct-17 17:25:59

Yes ffion that's definitely a consideration.

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 11-Oct-17 17:27:35

Does dual nationality exist between UK/Hungary?

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 11-Oct-17 17:30:50

Yes it does, sorry, should have checked first!

These don't though - includes several EU states confused

Longdistance Wed 11-Oct-17 17:32:48

Yes, you can have dual nationality. My dm has both a Magyar Útlevél and a British passport.
I have a document registering me in Hungary, even though I was born in the Uk, but tbh, I can't be bothered 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mistigri Wed 11-Oct-17 19:22:45

If you are already entitled to Hungarian citizenship based on a parent's nationality, then I don't personally think there is a massive hurry to get a passport. Citizenship exists independently of a passport - my son is British and will remain so even when his UK passport expires shortly (we don't plan to renew it).

You might want to check that you are indeed entitled to Hungarian nationality (nationality law is complex) and that you have the documents to prove it.

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 11-Oct-17 20:35:31

A passport can be a stepping stone to citizenship elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: