Talk

Advanced search

Westministers: May Shares the Cake

(968 Posts)
RedToothBrush Fri 22-Sep-17 15:08:37

May's Speech Abbreviated:

We still have nfi how we are going to do this. EU this is your fault. You sort it out. We are too lazy, workshy and fighting like high school children to work it out ourselves. Be our whipping boy.

I support democracy as long as I get to do whatever I like
I support human rights as long as I can ignore them when I like.
I support the rule of law except when it doesn't suit my agenda.

Waffle waffle.

"Creative", "Dynamic" PR for my Premiership.

Waffle waffle

We really need policing cooperation, PLEASE keep it with us. I know I threatened to withdraw this, but I'm sorry, I was wrong and a bit of a dick about this.

Gets to the point FINALLY.

"2 year transition period"

(With another time bomb lock which is still too short for IT departments. Nothing to do with the next general election, honest).

RULE BRITANNIA!

Polite Applause.

Peregrina Wed 27-Sep-17 07:33:13

Leave supporters are among the angriest

I was reading the Telegraph letters yesterday - it's good to see what people who think the opposite of you are saying. They too are angry about Brexit, but not for the same reasons as me. The only thing we agreed with was that May was rubbish.

frumpety Wed 27-Sep-17 07:37:44

www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/05/pfi-contracts-list

Quite old data sorry blush

BlueEyeshadow Wed 27-Sep-17 07:47:04

From the grauniad on butter price rises: www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/07/butter-price-all-time-high-dairy-production-curdles&ved=0ahUKEwjC29X-4cTWAhWImLQKHQBOA2oQFgglMAA&usg=AFQjCNGZK4f-wmG6gXKpXDJCqcepFjemTQ&cf=1

BigChocFrenzy Wed 27-Sep-17 08:12:23

I suppose this is the kind of glorious trade deal with the USA that we can look forward to:

Giant USA firms nobbling UK competitors

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41397181

NI Aerospace firm Bombardier has described the US Department of Commerce's preliminary ruling against it in its row with Boeing as "absurd".

An interim tariff of nearly 220 % (!)
has been proposed on the import of Bombardier's C-Series jet to the US.
< Many wellpaid NI jobs at risk >

BigChocFrenzy Wed 27-Sep-17 08:26:22

AfD success led by highly organised social media attacks

I'm not on Twitter, but much talk here about the far right social media dominance, which I see the Guardian also picked up on.
Things we need to watch out for here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/26/germany-far-right-election-afd-trolls

*a community where neo-Nazi symbols and Holocaust-denying literature are found next to pro-AfD and anti-Merkel memes.*

Over Discord, those committed to Reconquista’s endeavour, were set targets, provided with instructions
and equipped with an arsenal of memes glorifying Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and the AfD and denouncing Islam, the EU and the “old parties”.

This massive, tightly organised troll army was then released into the depths of social media, where the perks of online anonymity allowed them to be as shameless as possible and as merciless as necessary.

In targeted bullying campaigns they attempted to shut up their foremost critics;
in large-scale Twitter and YouTube raids they sought to discredit and mock their political opponents.

AfD’s massive vote gains reflect the extreme right’s ability to conquer online space and win the information war with sophisticated obfuscation and disruption tactics.

By scheduling a time each evening and agreeing on hashtags, they forced the Twitter algorithms to prioritise their posts.

It was thanks to this tactic that they managed to catapult #Schicksalswahl, # TrauDichdeutschland, #NichtmeineKanzlerin and #MerkelMussWeg into the top Twitter trends in Germany.
In the two-week run-up to the election, not a single day passed when #AfD was not in the top two trending hashtags in Germanyy^.

RandomlyGenerated Wed 27-Sep-17 08:29:41

Butter price increases explained:

m.thegrocer.co.uk/554935.article?mobilesite=enabled

Basically:
Lifting of EU milk quotas plus lower Chinese demand and Russia import ban leads to over supply of milk;
Farm gate prices crash;
Many farmers cut back or get out of milk production;
Grass for grazing has been poor, farmers can't afford to feed supplements to cows, leads to lower fat content in milk;
Brexit loss of value of sterling caused export boom, bolstered by high NZ butter prices;
Supermarket price wars contributed to farm gate price crash, butter producers exporting rather than selling to supermarkets - wholesale prices have increased by 100% in the last year;
Recent trend away from margarine / spreads back to butter.

Somerville Wed 27-Sep-17 09:09:12

Many wellpaid NI jobs at risk

And over 4/5 of people in those jobs are Protestants - so the DUP will be howling. Their mate Treeza put in a call to Trump and it didn't do a bit of good.

This is bad for the north of Ireland. Young men out of work increases resentment towards the other side. And it means easy picking for paramilitary gang recruitment.

frumpety Wed 27-Sep-17 09:21:25

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/24/how-to-make-butter

For the preppers smile

squishysquirmy Wed 27-Sep-17 09:46:35

Delurking to ask a quick question about something that's bothering me:

I read an article yesterday about Farage lending his support to a seriously scummy republican candidate in the Alabama senate race (no huge surprise there).
politicalscrapbook.net/2017/09/farage-flies-into-us-to-campaign-for-republican-so-racist-and-homophobic-hes-opposed-by-trump/#more-67226

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/nigel-farage-roy-moore-alabama-senate-endorsement-luther-strange-a7966781.html

Anyway, Nigel's guy won and this is how the BBC covered it:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41409983
"Mr Moore, a bible-quoting evangelical, drew support from Christian conservative Sarah Palin - and recently-sacked White House chief strategist Steve Bannon"

Why no mention of Farage's support? I can understand why the American media wouldn't mention it, as Farage is a nobody really, but I would have expected it to be relevant information in the UK press, especially given how much exposure Farage used to get!

squishysquirmy Wed 27-Sep-17 09:50:59

Butter is something I don't mind paying a bit more for, if the dairy farmers get a fairer price. It has definitely gone up recently though.

As far as prepping goes, I am trying to keep the cupboards well stocked with tins and dried goods, (dh thinks I am a bit mad) but I can't realistically do much more than this. We would be fine if there were short term shortages, but would begin to struggle if they lasted a week or more.

RedToothBrush Wed 27-Sep-17 10:01:15

So Trump's America has gone all protectionist and we think its a good idea to leave the EU and throw our hat in with the US even though they will screw us at the drop of a hat?

Wow. That's a shock.

If only we had the foresight to predict that happening

hmm

Holliewantstobehot Wed 27-Sep-17 10:05:19

I am going to do as much prepping food wise as I can but agree there's only so much you can do. I'm a single parent, on benefits (carers allowance as ds has autism) and don't have a reserve money wise as such. If/when the shit hits the fan I feel alot of its going to end up on me. Also ds is really picky and gets really stressed if he's hungry so it might be a lot less stressful to all of us if I have some back up.

I think I'm getting a bit paranoid/conspiracy theorist but was thinking if we drop off a cliff, who benefits? Will the majority of the population be so busy worrying about job losses and shortages that the government will just be able to push things through? Will we all be so preoccupied with surviving that we'll accept poor workers rIghts, chlorinated chicken etc;? Will riots be used as an excuse to prevent demonstrations altogether?

Melassa Wed 27-Sep-17 10:05:19

From reading papers from around the world, I feel there is a serious truth deficit in the UK press. Even the Guardian is fairly flimsy on facts when reporting EU related news. And as for the BBC! Does the DG owe his job to someone in the Tory party?

I remember from the Berlusconi years no one with half a brain in Italy trusted the press or the TV as most of it was owned or controlled by him or his family, and if you wanted actual facts on his latest gaffes with foreign dignitaries you'd need to read the foreign press. Therefore I'm perhaps excessively sceptical but the level of reporting in the UK press has plunged to an appalling low and does no one actually check anything before spouting their tripe? Possibly not, if only to ride the tide of ignorant popular opinion and thus increase clicks. I despair, I really do. Until some sort of integrity is re-imposed on journalists I really don't think we're going to change anyone's mindset, as long as "journalists" continue feeding the confirmation bias.

EverythingWillBeGreat Wed 27-Sep-17 10:27:54

Leave supporters are among the angriest

Yep, Ive been following a few FB pages on Brexit and Leavers seems to totally unable to put forward any valid points, only insults and wish of death shock

EverythingWillBeGreat Wed 27-Sep-17 10:31:41

Will riots be used as an excuse to prevent demonstrations altogether?
Yes exspecially as most demonstrations are reported as if it was mainly tugs creating mayhem (remember the reporting of students demonstrating against the universty fees?)
Demonstrations rarely get coverage anyway (we have a very good example atm with fracking) or it is badly distorted.
So yep, I'm expecting full martial type of thing to be implemented if there is any riots at all TBH.

EverythingWillBeGreat Wed 27-Sep-17 10:32:43

Can I ask, what are you all doing re buying stuff ahead?
What sort of things are you stocking up on?

RedToothBrush Wed 27-Sep-17 11:03:47

There is something going around on twitter this morning suggesting that Remainer are being mass reported on FB and are being banned by FB. This includes people involved with the Manchester march. The suggestion is that it is coordinated reporting from Kippers.

I don't know how true it is. There are a number of people picking up on it and retweeting things.

Its difficult to establish whether its a viral rumour or something more sinister.

Its worrying though.

Somerville Wed 27-Sep-17 11:06:27

I'm not stocking up. But I've cancelled a house extension we were considering, improved my French and made my business more portable.

LurkingHusband Wed 27-Sep-17 11:12:12

As noted last week.

Every day is bringing a negative associated with Brexit (how many days is that).

Meanwhile, at Florence+5 total sum of good news:

We're in a reality deficit.

Even Nimrod only had about 6,000 problems - and that was over 5-6 years smile

("Nimrod" - ask your parents)

When I got a job with GEC, I was obscenely proud - they were one of the giants of tech in the 80s and 90s. Up there with IBM, and British Telecom. (ICL had already gone to Fujitsu). Now it's "GEC ? Who ?"

I would die of irony overload, if Brexiteers decided their anthem would be the UKIP-approved Elgar classic "Nimrod". Although since it comes from the "Enigma Variations", there is a case that it is certainly appropriate.

Just out of interest, did anyone win any money over the Bombardier ruling ? It was there for the taking...

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 27-Sep-17 11:13:30

I wish we more portable. Dd doing gcses this year, and then into A levels and then ds doing gcses so we are pretty much stuck for 7 years and then I fear I would be too old.
My business is also v language based, quite nuanced so whilst my French is just about passable I would struggle to do what I do now.
In terms of preparing, I'm adding tins to my shopping. I buy big bags of rice and pasta. I buy bread flour by the sack. I also buy pulses. I have been freezing and storing allotment excess (though there isn't much as I share with my dsis.
Can you freeze cheese?

squishysquirmy Wed 27-Sep-17 11:24:28

I have frozen cheddar before, and its been fine. I think that sometimes it can go a bit gritty, but not when I did it.

Stocking up: cans of stuff we actually use regularly (tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans etc), sugar, flour, oil, dried carbohydrates. I'm not really doing it because I think that serious food shortages are likely, but more to cushion ourselves a bit against price rises, and to mitigate against supermarkets running out of stuff short term. I try to rotate stuff as I use it, and go for things with a sell by date as late as possible. Also, if there were to be (for example) a very nasty strain of flu virus, we could easily avoid going to the shops which is one less way to get sick.

If the worst came to the worst, I could make a variety of meals, bread, and most importantly lots of chocolate cake wink from the contents of my cupboard.

RedToothBrush Wed 27-Sep-17 11:32:35

DH is STILL in the 'it will be ok' mindset.

We are however going on a weekend away to a European city in December. Just 'to see' as he knows there are lots of jobs that would work for him in that city. He has had a good look by the sound of it.

His current employer is 'Brexit-proof', but they also have European offices, and he was sent to one for a meeting the other week and has been impressing European colleagues. He, in theory, doesn't have to live/work in the UK and could do his job in another country.

We have a few options. My worry is more the impact on my parents.

RandomlyGenerated Wed 27-Sep-17 11:33:42

I have teenage boys. With hollow legs. The house just isn't big enough to stockpile more than a week's supply of anything.

Badders08 Wed 27-Sep-17 11:43:10

Same here random!

Cailleach1 Wed 27-Sep-17 11:44:24

Its website states that it wants to promote new trade networks “to make sure that they are contracted on the basis of mutual recognition rather than standardisation.”

That will all have to be negotiated. Of course, the UK can give unilateral recognition to any old thing. Rees Mogg said cheaper (maybe dodgier) food will be good for people with less money. Mogg always thinking of others less fortunate than himself, I'm sure! Fill 'em up with lots of added chemicals.

Historically East Belfast has had the space for development and that's why you have the Odyssey, H&W, Bombardier and so called "Science Centre". It's also got a prime location by the Lagan for water usage and shipping ports etc.

Somerville, interesting point about the vast majority of workforce being protestant. Some historical as well as current reasons. I wonder will Con's investment be more favourable in areas where the DUP (or at the very least Unionist) voters are in larger numbers. However, £773 million to East Belfast as opposed to £19 million to West Belfast. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of British gov't loans and grants, too. The new electoral boundaries may have given more equitable representation for West Belfast, described as the most residentially crowded region in the city. There may be a stay on that, though. There are many ways in which Britain has propped (or will with DUP?) up a Unionist hegemony in NI. And may continue to do so. That was the wonderful thing about EU funding. It was more fair and need based. Gave help to Catholicareas starved by Westminister.

www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/150095-2011-bombardier-workforce-still-overwhelmingly-protestant.html

'West Belfast on the other hand is perhaps the most residentially crowded region in the city, I know Montupet, Shorts, Andor Technology I think are still there in the west of the city, I'm struggling to find others that produce things.'

Third level education always seems to elude Derry and environs.

The decision to move Ulster University’s Jordanstown campus to Belfast marks the second time in fifty years that Derry has been over-looked for a significant University presence. Though unlike the 1960s, this one has happened without the city even realising it. Questions must be asked of the city’s politicians as to why none of them challenged this decision – particularly when Ulster secured £17m from Stormont to help finance their Belfast move. And where were the internal voices to fight Derry’s corner – such as the Magee Provost, or the former Mayor of Derry who sits on the university’s top decision-making body ? Derry has been asleep at the wheel whilst Belfast got handed a £300m campus it didn’t even campaign for.

From Slugger. Has somewhat of an agenda, may appear more so because these issues are never really discussed elsewhere. Extricate the concept from the conception.

sluggerotoole.com/2017/08/29/ulster-unis-new-belfast-campus-shows-it-isnt-serious-about-magee-expansion-so-its-time-for-derry-to-look-elsewhere/

I don't think Brexit will bring happy times for NI. In many different ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now