Advanced search

The Brexit Arms. All welcome.

(1000 Posts)
surferjet Sun 30-Jul-17 21:06:14

So.....how are we all?
wine

SapphireStrange Mon 31-Jul-17 10:11:32

I'm very well.

Quiet in here, eh? Everyone out celebrating the success that is Brexit so far?

time4chocolate Mon 31-Jul-17 12:25:45

Hi Surfer wine popping in for a lunchtime tipple.

Sapphire - not celebrating (yet) most of us just busy getting on with life.

Valentine2 Mon 31-Jul-17 17:32:56

I posted this on my own thread. Reposting here.
I feel sad that I had to ask you surfer to keep this going. I want this discussion to happen and keep going. The last year's referendum result has shown us how big a divide we are facing as a society. Divided people can't survive.
No matter how hard it sounds, we need to keep asking questions and keep chellenging each other.

surferjet Mon 31-Jul-17 17:48:15

Hi all, Hi Valentine2

I must admit, I wouldn't have started another Brexit Arms thread ( I didn't start the last two actually ) but as you specifically asked then here we are grin

But you're right, it's important that we have somewhere to gather and chat whether remainers or leavers. Personally, I'm still glad I voted leave and that the process is well under way.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 31-Jul-17 18:50:02

hi all grin

Hufflepug Mon 31-Jul-17 18:51:57

Not exactly bustling, is it? What time's happy hour?

surferjet Mon 31-Jul-17 19:15:23

There's not enough happy people on this thread to warrant a 'happy hour' - sorry.

And yes, brexit threads are very quiet these days, most people are bored talking about it or just don't care anymore? Plus, unless you're following Brexit negotiations meticulously ( & not many do that ) you only hear about the major developments as & when they happen - which isn't often.

GhostofFrankGrimes Mon 31-Jul-17 20:24:05

most people are bored talking about it or just don't care anymore?

Bit like kids at xmas isn't it? Brilliant on 24/25 Dec, dull as fuck on 15 March.

Plus, unless you're following Brexit negotiations meticulously ( & not many do that ) you only hear about the major developments as & when they happen

but don't you want to know what Santa brought you for xmas? when the unicorns arrive

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:50:17

there's not enough happy people on this thread to warrant a 'happy hour' - sorry

Thats not how happy hour works...what sort of landlady are you?

You give out cheap booze and then people get happy

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 31-Jul-17 20:51:55

Thats not right either

Not cheap booze...that makes me unhappy

Expensive booze sold at cheap prices

Valentine2 Mon 31-Jul-17 21:05:56

Plus, unless you're following Brexit negotiations meticulously ( & not many do that ) you only hear about the major developments as & when they happen - which isn't often.

So far, what major developments have happened you think? Other than the GE where Labour may/may not have got the Brexit mandate.
On a side note, the Westministenders is always getting on with what needs doing. Not that I think you needed to be told that because I know who lurks there and who doesn't.

GhostofFrankGrimes Mon 31-Jul-17 21:12:25

Strange. On previous threads the leavers wanted to argue their point. Now apparently they are either bored or can't be bothered.

Corcory Mon 31-Jul-17 22:58:43

There are a lot of people on holiday too and not much Brexit news until we have the monthly negotiations happening.

surferjet Mon 31-Jul-17 23:26:42

Rufus grin
Valentine2 - why are you bringing up the Westminster threads? I never post on them (or even look at them tbh). I used to about a year ago, but they're just too boring.
I think you need to remind yourself though that the Westminster thread is just a thread on mumsnet and not a government department -
the Westministenders is always getting on with what needs doing -
Well good for you, but you know the Brexit Arms is not into posts a mile long with 25 links to obscure European newspaper reports.
It's just light, general chat on here.

Valentine2 Tue 01-Aug-17 00:34:25

To be fair, i don't really care at this stage whether those threads are too boring for you or thought-provoking.
All is want right now is to have a place on Mumsnet where we, the Remainers, could come in the hope of engaging Leavers.
So you need to keep this going, even if this is boring and tiresome for you.

GhostofFrankGrimes Tue 01-Aug-17 06:22:31

Not much happening? I thought the Tory civil war over Brexit would be all the talk at the Arms.

Carolinesbeanies Tue 01-Aug-17 07:32:52

"All is want right now is to have a place on Mumsnet where we, the Remainers, could come in the hope of engaging Leavers. "

Head over to the westminsters thread Valentine, youll find loads of like minded buddies in there who know exactly whats goong on, how it will all end, and enjoy a regular leave voter slagging off.

The Arms came about as leave voters couldnt enjoy a quiet drink together without goady fuckers wanting to throw the same old 'youre all a bunch of stupid wankers' (sic) around. We dont plough into the Westminsters threads like a bunch of away team supporters looking for a fight.

Plenty of us have engaged, and get exactly the same closed eared response we did 18 months ago. Go re-read the last coule of years posts, and absorb, if you want a view. Until remainers actually want to "engage" the entire www will stay quiet. Sorry no sport for you here today from me.

We get it, Youre bored. Youre unhappy. You want to kick someone. All leave voters are thick as pig shit and fair game. When does your coach leave?

Figmentofmyimagination Tue 01-Aug-17 08:44:07

What do you think of this?

(It's already been around for 4 days so you've probably watched it already).

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/28/they-just-dont-get-it-video-upset-corbyn-deniers-labour-momentum

I'm quite enjoying the effective use of social media by the left at the moment. It is a breath of fresh air after so many years of dominance by the red wing press.

Valentine2 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:37:15

Sorry no sport for you here today from me.
I am one of the people who went through stages of disbelief, anger, frustration and then some more after the Leave result of refrendum. However, I have come to the conclusion that the only way out of all this (whatever your "out" is too!) is to keep the patient dialogue window open no matter how lame it looks. We have a Leaver running this place and I am happy she is keeping it going. I am always ready to sit down and talk and ask questions. I am always going to honestly tell you "I don't know" if I don't know something. I will keep doing it. It is my choice. have a quite drink with me if you like. You haven't got the right to throw me out to the pub across the street.

We get it, Youre bored. Youre unhappy. You want to kick someone. All leave voters are thick as pig shit and fair game. When does your coach leave?

that is not a post from someone who is happy with what is happening. I have a feeling that neither Leave nor Remain are mainly happy with what is happening right now. There is always something ticking st the back of our minds now.
That is why we need to keep the dialogue going essentially. If you love your country and your people, you will keep engaging here. Just as you did now. At some point, even if that point is ten years from now, we will reach some sort of conclusion of this discussion. We owe each other this. You owe me this. I owe you this. Our love of this country is what keeps us both going. Let that be the common factor here.

Carolinesbeanies Tue 01-Aug-17 23:40:23

"What do you think of this?

(It's already been around for 4 days so you've probably watched it already).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/28/they-just-dont-get-it-video-upset-corbyn-deniers-labour-momentum"

Figment, as youve asked in the Brexit Arms, I think its pretty brilliant. Its only missed the mark slightly by not shooting it in a Gite in France, and there you have the perceived remainer voter, captured beautifully by momentum.
Move onto scene 2, apoplectic that Olivia may not get onto her Erasmus scheme, mutterings about the difficulties in renting said Gites out, and who IS going to do my cleaning if Ania goes back to Poland?!!!

Is that what you meant?

Carolinesbeanies Tue 01-Aug-17 23:54:08

"that is not a post from someone who is happy with what is happening."

Valentine, in the last month or so, Ive patiently and factually gone through, personal UK wealth, explained the customs union, the UK passport, Ireland, etc etc etc and explained to various regular and goady posters exactly why 'this' (see below) wont happen. Remainers dont want to hear it.
So exactly what do you want a poster on MN to explain or engage with you about? Its august 2017, and a poster on another thread is still ranting that we only voted leave because of some poster stuck on the side of a bus.
Its a ridiculous state of affairs from the remain camp.

Carolinesbeanies Wed 02-Aug-17 00:08:43

Bit of a bummer when 3/4s of the EMA staff want to stay in London.....I hear the banks are having the same issue. Short straws for Frankfurt...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/01/uk-set-poach-top-eu-talent-amid-mutiny-75-tell-brussels-dont/

Anyway, we havent had the countdown clock for a while. 605 days to go. Ticking along nicely.
Chin chin wine

GhostofFrankGrimes Wed 02-Aug-17 06:27:41

Caroline, did you read the article? The very first sentence says "should", so it's not set in stone. It is a suggestion from Tory MPs. Credible then. Maybe we could cap energy prices too. hmm

surferjet Wed 02-Aug-17 07:19:01

Carolinesbeanies
Agree with your post about remainers. It really is pointless trying to have a discussion with them as they're just too fanatical about the whole thing, & yes, they just want a few leavers around so they can off load their bitterness & anger.
This thread is open to everyone, the fact that hardly anyone posts on it ( apart from the usual ) speaks columns.
People are sick of talking about Brexit.
And anyway remainers, you have the Westminster threads where you can all chat together so not sure why we bothered with this thread really.
I won't be posting much on here because I'm bored of it all, but if any other leaver wants to post then great!
But remainers, I can't physically force anyone to engage with you.
That's something you'll just have to accept - along with Brexit means Brexit. 🇬🇧🍾🇬🇧

This thread is not accepting new messages.