Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders: The bookends to a year of political chaos. Just how far have we come?

(993 Posts)
RedToothBrush Fri 16-Jun-17 18:50:05

The 15th June 2016.

The Thames was filled with a flotilla of boats in a publicity stunt for the Leave campaign to draw attention to fisheries. Nigel Farage and Kate Hoey in their heads thought they were Leonardo and Kate, but the moment was rather more titanic in nature and could not have been more Alan Partridge if they had tried. Coming up behind was Bob Gedolf in a shameful and cringeworthy display of swearing and abuse that really didn’t help the Remain camp in anyway. Largely unnoticed was a small boat with a family following it all unfold…

The next day things went from fiasco to horror.

Farage unveiled the Dog Whistle Poster and Jo Cox was murdered. And the UK seemed set on its course for 7 days later when the world was turned upside down by the referendum itself.

14th June 2017.

Fast forward 365 days later and another tragedy unfolded. This time of a very different nature but with no less political significance.
Grenfell.

A moment of national shame. A symbol of so many things that had come to pass in the previous twelve months.

The election just the previous week had changed the direction of travel we seemed to be headed and left the Prime Minister exposed and looking wildly out of touch. The Maybot was given one more chance.

And the Maybot seems to be failing the test of her party who had the grace to grant her a second chance.

The Queen dressed in the same shade of blue, May delivered her ‘victory speech’ in, ignored the security threat and visited the ranks of the poor and the forgotten. A deliberate message to May not to forget who she serves? A Queen who feels aggrieved and angry by May’s behaviour? Who knows.

As for Brexit. The government looks lost. Adrift. The ‘Fight of the Summer’ over the EU’s plan for talks sounds out the window despite the denials from the Brexit Department. Hard Brexit is still on the cards. Apparently. But what does anyone believe now? May’s and the Brexiteers domination of the agenda is shattered, its power starting to be questioned.

What next?

This evening the anger is building.

Who knows, what will happen. Some of it might be predictable, but the future is far from certain and we have definitely entered a new era. We just don’t know who will lead it, or what its ambition or what the end goal now is.

What we do know, more acutely than ever is that we are all human and the wise words of Jo Cox about having ‘More in Common’ ring though ever more strongly.

Once again we feel ‘on the brink’.

lamado Fri 16-Jun-17 18:52:27

Thanks for the new thread rob

RhythmAndStealth Fri 16-Jun-17 18:53:21

Thanks for the new thread Red

HashiAsLarry Fri 16-Jun-17 18:56:02

Thanks red

woman12345 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:57:56

'feeling 'on the brink' is part of the new malarkey. flowers all and thank as ever red, your threads and the posters here, have to be amongst the most informed, and humane I've read since June 22nd 2016. Warm good wishes all.

ClashCityRocker Fri 16-Jun-17 19:00:32

Had to step away from sm. There are people practically rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of riots.

boldlygoingsomewhere Fri 16-Jun-17 19:02:19

Thanks, Red.

RedToothBrush Fri 16-Jun-17 19:03:29

Had to step away from sm. There are people practically rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of riots.

Aren't they just.

Fiona Rutherford‏*@Fi*_Rutherford
People have started marching down Kensington high street. They're chanting "no justice, no peace" & "Tories out" #GlenfellTowers

This is not good.

WorshipTheGourd Fri 16-Jun-17 19:03:42

Thanks, red - what a year it has been.
My ds is 12.5 and becoming more and more politically aware that none of 'the grown up's' seem to have a clue what they are doing sad

Mrsmartell08 Fri 16-Jun-17 19:06:19

BiglyBadgers Fri 16-Jun-17 19:07:00

The thing that makes me so angry is that this was completely avoidable. All of it. It has just been failiure after failiure leading to a situation where it seems increasingly likely we will have riots. Even with the fire and loss of life some basic communication could have stopped this from escalating so quickly. Arrghhh! angry

woman12345 Fri 16-Jun-17 19:09:00

prospect of riots
They do no understand the intelligence of those who have withstood this for so long. It is a long game, always is.

Where the power lies is not in riots and have eyes on the prize.

Which looks a little like boring little European democracy and civil rights, nothing very exciting really..................

Nothing to see, move along................

RedToothBrush Fri 16-Jun-17 19:11:01

politically aware that none of 'the grown up's' seem to have a clue what they are doing

What Grown Ups?

ArleneFostersNegotiatingFace Fri 16-Jun-17 19:11:06

Thanks red.

HashiAsLarry Fri 16-Jun-17 19:17:31

I'm not worried by terrorists or terrorism. In effect for me it's random. There's rarely a palpable feeling of something about to occur before hand.

But this is different. Something completely avoidable has happened and there seems no one actually helping. There's something in the it right now akin to the Tottenham riot aftermath. I hope this is just an ill feeling.

Not today, not on this anniversary.

HashiAsLarry Fri 16-Jun-17 19:18:24

No one in power helping. Obviously the community and normal folk are helping. blush

Lazybastet Fri 16-Jun-17 19:19:18

I'm at Downing St. Lots of EU flags along Justice for Grenfell May must go.

Maybe about 2k people.

A man spoke earlier with debris from the building.

Demo's planned for 24th 1st July. Talk of taking this protest to Kensington.

I won't be going but will volunteer on sun.

Moving off now

lalalonglegs Fri 16-Jun-17 19:20:52

Thanks Red. It's been an absolute shocker of a year and this has all the elements of a tinderbox weekend as heatwave combines with outrage and frustration.

I'm a Londoner and I have never been worried about being in the city after a terrorist attack, life goes on, mustn't give in to terrorism etc etc. But, on top of feeling distraught by what happened at Grenfell, and the stories coming out about why it happened, I'm distinctly nervous about what might happen next.

TheElementsSong Fri 16-Jun-17 19:21:18

Thanks for another head RTB jeez, what turbulent times this country is going through sad.

I don't know about people "rubbing hands" at the prospect of riots, but maybe just saying what they can see could be boiling up?

This time last week I was briefly, well, not cheerful, but anticipative after the Hung Parliament result. Now I'm even gloomier than before. The Grenfell disaster is a huge part of that, the anniversary of Jo Cox's assassination another, and the incomprehensibly malevolent delusional useless boneheadedness of TM's NotGoverment to round it off.

lalalonglegs Fri 16-Jun-17 19:22:11

x-posted with Hashi - my sentiments exactly.

WorshipTheGourd Fri 16-Jun-17 19:22:26

red
What Grown Ups indeed?
mixture of pride (at his inquisitive mind) and sadness to see his childhood faith in things begin to disappear sad

RedToothBrush Fri 16-Jun-17 19:22:34

The Left Wing Grown Ups should be being visible to calm things as much as government.

Their absence should be noted as much as right wing ones...

NoCryingInEngineering Fri 16-Jun-17 19:27:25

What surprises me about the utter tone deafness of the Maybot is that she kept telling us she is a vicar's daughter. You'd think that anyone who grew up in a vicarage would understand the importance of being seen just to listen to people's hopes, fears and worries at times of grief and uncertainty.

RedToothBrush Fri 16-Jun-17 19:36:47

There are also now reports of the EDL turning up in the Latimer Road area...

ClashCityRocker Fri 16-Jun-17 19:40:25

Fuck. Hopefully just people shit stirring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now