Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders: Election Mayhem

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Fri 02-Jun-17 18:50:59

Tick tock, tick tock goes the Brexit Clock.

Don’t panic, just don’t turn up to debates because you have talks starting on the 19th June and have to perfect the 100 page document relating to at least 750 international agreements that need renegotiating before then. Anyone who turns up for their job interview for that, is just wasting time.

If only someone hadn’t called a distracting election.

This election was dubbed to be about Brexit. Yet it is remarkable that we have barely had debate over it. No one wants to admit it really. We nearly got a consensus between Barry Gardiner, Nick Clegg and David Davis over it being a political not economic decision on Question Time on Thursday 1st June, but we are not quite there yet with the admission that the economy is toast. This means the addition money the Conservatives have promised for the NHS won’t be available but we can’t have this discussion. Its properly the fault of purdah. Instead the subject rapidly got skipped over. Instead Davis said that the target May had just set for immigration to be at tens of thousands by 2022 was unrealistic.

In post-election rumour has it that Davis is about to get a promotion to the FCO, whilst Johnson gets the boot. On the other hand Gove is also rumoured for NI and May loyal Gummer gets Brexit.

Meanwhile the 1922 Committee of Tory Backbenchers are said to be plotting the downfall of at least one of May’s guard dogs, Nick Timothy following the decision about the Dementia Tax and subsequent U-Turn. Farage also mentioned Timothy in his statement over the breaking news that the CPS are pressing charges on the Conservative Candidate for South Thanet (the former MP there), his agent and a Tory Party official over election expenses. It seems almost inconceivable that Timothy can survive a traditional Tory Knifing.

This is all as May’s leadership approval ratings are in freefall as the honeymoon is firmly ends, after the public finally got to see her create an army of strawmen as answers, in a barely concealed contempt for the public’s concerns. May’s reaction to a negative reaction? Go back into hiding from media accountability and get the Mail to do her dirty work.

Elsewhere the EU have lined up to criticise Trump over his hard ball attempt to renegotiate the Paris Climate Deal. May was noticeable by her absence as she’s trying the same trick over Brexit and is desperate to keep Trump onside. What is Trump offering us in return? Apart from a Brexit Opportunity to get stiffed.

As for the polls? Despite them, it’s difficult to see the Tories not making a net seat gain. For Labour to do well it relies on widespread tactical voting, young who haven’t previously voted turning out in levels not seen since the 1970s and this being spread across the country and not concentrated in University areas. This will be tough to achieve to simply stop a Tory Landslide, never mind a hung parliament. Labour winning a majority is the stuff of pure fantasy (needs Lab to be 12points ahead of Cons). That said, if the result isn’t much different to the 2015 result, it will beg major questions over May’s leadership and her ability to read the public mood. It will say something about her refusal to engage with ‘the saboteurs’.

Expect an increased Tory Majority but not of the epic scale of 470 they originally were aiming for.

Kaija Fri 02-Jun-17 19:05:45

Thanks red

MangoSplit Fri 02-Jun-17 19:09:34

Place marking. Interesting times!

woman12345 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:09:57

Thanks too red

BestIsWest Fri 02-Jun-17 19:10:46

Sterling work, thanks Red

BigChocFrenzy Fri 02-Jun-17 19:15:09

Thanks red flowers
Most exciting UK GE I can remember, which is going back to at least 1970

TheElementsSong Fri 02-Jun-17 19:26:34

Another excellent summary, RTB

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:32:49

Thanks Red.
Justine has just said in another thread that the request of Mumsnet to May for webchat is under consideration yet. Let's see what happens to that. wink

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:35:28

The writer of the "Liar Liar" (song about May and her lies and the number one song on iTunes) said on BBC today that he was told to not go very hard on Tories. Can't paste the link somehow.

RedToothBrush Fri 02-Jun-17 19:38:02

Justine has just said in another thread that the request of Mumsnet to May for webchat is under consideration yet. Let's see what happens to that.

1) How do we know its May herself replying?
2) May doesn't answer questions. I love the idea of a webchat of waffle. Sounds fab.
3) Can I just write the answers before May does?

RedToothBrush Fri 02-Jun-17 19:40:02

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/conservatives-oil-bosses-party-donations-fossil-fuels-climate-change-ayman-asfari-petrofac-serious-a7751521.html
Conservatives pledge 'unprecedented' support for fossil fuels after receiving almost £400,000 from oil bosses
Among the donors areAyman Asfariwho was recently questioned by the Serious FraudOffice in connection with alleged bribery and corruption at his Jersey-based oil firm,Petrofac

From 23rd May. What was that about Paris and Trump?

PedaloBar Fri 02-Jun-17 19:40:33

"Let me be clear that the country needs strong and stable leadership for ordinary working families"

^^ every fucking TM answer

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:44:33

I think we can demand a picture from Justine that shows May sitting in the MNHQ on the designated computer during the live chat. It is very easy to stream too. Peice of cake really. As for your 2 and 3, no idea at this stage. grin

woman12345 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:45:12

YY to both previous posts, red. mums net web chat with May would be good. And follow the money as ever, wrt oil. The irony is, money has moved to renewables. Look at China.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 02-Jun-17 19:45:56

Didn't DD / Loathsome last year reassure farmers that they would continue to receive the same level of subsidy to the end of the (then) current Parliament ?

.... that Parliament has ended !

Zxyzoey31 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:46:46

In response to how, land tax, renationalisation, any increase in tax whatsoever, the idea of paying anything for someone else to benefit from
People say they like things but they don't vote to pay for it.
There is a strange think in the UK that people don't think of themselves as the lower down who might need help and vote on that. They think well I could be that, for example, owner of a £2m house and then I would have to pay so much tax and that wouldn't be right

squoosh Fri 02-Jun-17 19:51:42

Great thread opener as always!

RedToothBrush Fri 02-Jun-17 19:51:49

www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2017/06/corbyn-s-bung-middle-class-true-causes-terror-and-musical-s-key-message

On the Brexit teams:

Keir Starmer, barrister and former director of public prosecutions
Emily Thornberry, barrister
Barry Gardiner, postgraduate scholarship and worked in shipping insurance

David Davis, eccentric resignation from parliament to fight by-election on civil liberties
Boris Johnson, sacked for lying about an affair
Liam Fox, resigned for allowing lobbyist to accompany him on overseas trips.

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:00:16

Didn't DD / Loathsome last year reassure farmers that they would continue to receive the same level of subsidy to the end of the (then) current Parliament ?

That is that hitch resolved then.
I like the idea of Emily Thornberry there. Her style reminds me remotely of Merkel. Pleasant countenance that can be very infuriating for the opposite side which does the job.

Charmageddon Fri 02-Jun-17 20:09:50

Checking in...
(Thanks as ever Red wine)

RedToothBrush Fri 02-Jun-17 20:09:51

How come Theresa May is doing Question Time tonight? Shouldn't she be preparing for the start of Brexit Negotiations? What's the difference apart from today being a Friday?

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:11:50

I think her team has been trying to build up an anticipation sort of something towarads this Friday night QT which has falle rather flat so far. It is a pattern I have seen since afternoon when I should have been focusing on work but it is a Friday so never mind.

Valentine2 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:12:34

Has anyone seen surfer lately?

HashiAsLarry Fri 02-Jun-17 20:13:45

I was going to take the dc swimming tomorrow but I'm afraid I'll be too busy preparing for brexit negotiations grin

squoosh Fri 02-Jun-17 20:14:06

Soda the other thread is all full so I couldn't answer you there but don't you bet Varadkar's people are on the phone right now to Trudeau and Macron desperately trying to set up a photo opp of the Relatively Good Looking 30 Something World Leaders gang. He so fancies himself as a Trudeau or Macron.

I hope you're right about his more Conservative tendencies being kept in check. smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.