Talk

Advanced search

Just naturalised, how to vote?

(6 Posts)
Venividiwitchy Fri 21-Apr-17 07:08:33

As in not what party but how do i get on the electoral register for national elections? i know i used to be able to vote locally as a eu citizen but the register will have me down as not british. what do i need to do? Thanks.

missmoon Fri 21-Apr-17 07:13:24

Veni you can register here:
www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

BrexshitMeansBrexshit Fri 21-Apr-17 07:14:23

Just phone your local council and ask for the people who deal with the electoral register, then tell them your new status. they might ask to see proof/need you to fill out a form. I had to contact my local office a week or so ago and they dealt with my issue really quickly. Good luck & congratulations on your naturalisation!

Venividiwitchy Fri 21-Apr-17 07:47:37

Thank you. i have registered using the link above. fingers crossed it can be done on time for the GE.

Peregrina Fri 21-Apr-17 09:04:42

You have until midnight 22nd May to register, so you should be fine.

Purpledaffodils Sat 29-Apr-17 21:00:52

My partner naturalised last year and registered to vote online straight away. We expected it to be queried and to have to send in proof but they didn't ask. He got a letter in the post about a week later saying his name had been added to the electoral roll.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now