Talk

Advanced search

How will the political parties have time to write their manifesto then promote it in 7 weeks?

(25 Posts)
Bearbehind Tue 18-Apr-17 21:14:34

Given TM has given us sweet FA in 10 months, how on earth can the political parties decide on their answers to the important Brexit questions and promote them, all in 7 weeks?

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Tue 18-Apr-17 21:31:48

Yes i was wondering that

And i want a full manifesto

Not just brexit

Peregrina Tue 18-Apr-17 22:31:38

TM will reproduce the guff of her Lancaster House speech. She thought it was good enough to recycle for the White Paper.

Does it matter much? Given that the last manifesto has largely been ignored e.g. the commitment to the Single Market, she might as well just issue a blank piece of paper.

Deadsouls Tue 18-Apr-17 22:33:30

What does the snap general election mean if anything for Brexit? Does anyone more knowledgeable than me know? What is the point of calling the election?

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:34:46

To be peregrina

TM could handwrite the manifesto in liqued go,d and have it dropped round to mine by helicopter with 40 balloons and a 5ft tall lindt chocolate bunny and i STILL wouldnt read it

I would like to see the lib dem and labour ones though

ClimbingTheSpiderNet Tue 18-Apr-17 22:35:31

Tories have been preparing for this as should have the other parties it's not as if this wan't to be expected. Let's see if everyone did their homework.

fakenamefornow Tue 18-Apr-17 22:42:59

One thing that really worries me is that it now seems perfectly acceptable to tell massive lies. When TM said back in September that she wouldn't call a GE I believe she meant it, but changed her mind, I'm not really talking about stuff like that. It's out and out lies such as the 350 million bus, stuff that just wasn't true at the time.

Deadsouls Tue 18-Apr-17 22:51:40

But why? What's this all about really? Is it because May wants to strengthen her position in parliament?

Bunkai Tue 18-Apr-17 23:21:48

They can't. That's the whole point. He Tories are doing well in the polls (or is that Labour are doing badly). So Tories are a sure thing to cement another 5 years of power. This gives them time to turn Brexit around when it all goes to pot in 2 years time (or is that me being cynical).

In the meantime they"ll privatise the nhs and education. Bye bye nhs and accountability in schools.

Peregrina Wed 19-Apr-17 00:24:25

Do you think that if it goes to pot in two years, they will be able to rescue it in the following three? Will the Tories really be forgiven for wrecking the NHS? They might get away with wrecking education.

I think they have a real danger now of losing Scotland and N Ireland - that might be what the Tories want in practice, but I don't think they will want to take the blame for it.

Bearbehind Wed 19-Apr-17 07:03:37

I suppose thinking about it, we know what the Tory and Lib Dem manifesto will say and Corbyn can just rehash something he wrote on a fag packet in 1970.

Corbyn should resign today and make his party a credible alternative because otherwise TM is getting her mandate handed to her on a plate and we're all screwed.

Was it me or did Corbyn not even mention Brexit in his statement yesterday? Blithering idiot.

TheKitchenWitch Wed 19-Apr-17 07:09:57

Surely they must be a teeny tiny bit prepared? I'd worry about any party that had no idea what their manifesto might be and couldn't put it together in a comprehensible firm in that time frame tbh.

surferjet Wed 19-Apr-17 07:17:50

Remainers must be regretting a lot of their actions ( not the average remainer in the street, but the ones starting petitions, court action etc ) because they've forced this snap election that the Tories will absolutely smash, giving them even more power!
She's called your bluff in a spectacular way.
You have to laugh really.

Mistigri Wed 19-Apr-17 07:48:05

Surely they must be a teeny tiny bit prepared? I'd worry about any party that had no idea what their manifesto might be and couldn't put it together in a comprehensible firm in that time frame tbh.

You would hope so, but does it matter? It is clear that this election more than any other in recent memory will be decided by tribal alliances rather than policies.

Bolshybookworm Wed 19-Apr-17 07:48:09

What exactly have remainers done surfer? Not channelled the power positive thought hmm. They have voted through everything TM has asked for in parliament.

The hard brexiters in the Tory party are much more likely to wreck any potential deal than the remainers, and TM knows it. Remainers want what's best for the country, the hard right just want what's best for their mates. They couldn't give a flying fuck if the rest of us end up in an economic morass.

whatwouldrondo Wed 19-Apr-17 08:19:40

I would say from what is already been said and done locally, a seat that must be top of the list to go back to the Libdems, that the Libdems have had a plan ready to swing into action for a long time.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 19-Apr-17 08:31:11

Surfer - if we do get a huge tory majority in all likelihood it will lead to a soft brexit rather than the hard one many want, so even if I don't want a tory govt, I will be happy with that rather than her having to kowtow to the far right element in her party.

Peregrina Wed 19-Apr-17 08:31:55

the Libdems have had a plan ready to swing into action for a long time.

I would agree, and have a lot of active members in some key constituencies. There are places where they are thin on the ground, but they are not seats they expect to win.

RortyCrankle Wed 19-Apr-17 09:27:18

surferjet
Remainers must be regretting a lot of their actions ( not the average remainer in the street, but the ones starting petitions, court action etc ) because they've forced this snap election that the Tories will absolutely smash, giving them even more power!
She's called your bluff in a spectacular way.
You have to laugh really.

Absolutely agree. Her winning this GE, likely with an increased majority, will shut up the likes of Sturgeon whining about her being unelected and having no mandate. It will reinforce her mandate from the people. It's a win/win. Go Theresa! grin

missmoon Wed 19-Apr-17 09:34:56

Remainers must be regretting a lot of their actions .... because they've forced this snap election that the Tories will absolutely smash

The Lib Dems will get a much increased share of the vote and quite a lot more MPs, raising their profile. Labour should finally solve the the Corbyn problem. And yes, the Tories will get a much increased majority, but that means they will own the mess resulting from Brexit completely (no shifting the blame to Labour and other parties). As a liberal remainer, this is the best news I've heard in many months.

By the way, it also tells me the Tories are rattled by the election expenses scandal.

Peregrina Wed 19-Apr-17 09:43:45

Sturgeon will be able to call May out for going for an election on the grounds of Tory opportunism - so Sturgeon will be a winner too.

Certainly, if May did win and the NHS is completely wrecked, I won't have too much sympathy for those who put the Tories in, when they start whining.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 19-Apr-17 09:49:18

This is a real test for Sturgeon too though - it is extremely unlikely the SNP will repeat the 2015 result, some of those seats are on tiny majorities, and if they lose even 2 or 3, people will be saying they don't have enough support for indyref2.

Peregrina Wed 19-Apr-17 11:34:50

Did Scottish voters see the 2015 SNP results coming? I don't recall seeing anything at the time, but wasn't following all that closely.

SuckItUpSnowflake Wed 19-Apr-17 14:56:27

Doesn't matter does it? The newspapers will tell the majority how to vote based on pro-Brexit and anti-Corbyn views. Look at Corbyn arguing about the NHS and social issues and the fact the government should be about more than Brexit and he's ridiculed for not talking about Brexit. We've had a referendum.

It's a Wizard of Oz situation. Look at the big Brexit head not the education and health failures (and all the rest) behind the curtain.

Peregrina Wed 19-Apr-17 15:21:53

Even so, I think people do still consider local issues - the closure of a local surgery featured heavily in the Witney by election. For some this was more important than the Remain vote had been, or Cameron clearing off and letting the side down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now