Talk

Advanced search

What will happen to the pond on Weds?

(10 Posts)
Draylon Mon 27-Mar-17 12:56:18

... do you think?

Draylon Mon 27-Mar-17 12:57:00

Pound! I don't think 'the pond' will be affected!

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 27-Mar-17 12:59:14

I was wondering what the pond was. Thought it might be the Brexiters' equivalent of Trump's swamp.

'DRAIN THE POND'

So British.

GraceGrape Mon 27-Mar-17 13:02:04

I am expecting it to drop, but hopefully not too dramatically as the date has been well-known in advance? I have ordered some of my Euros for the summer today, though, just in case!

PoundlandUK Mon 27-Mar-17 13:07:24

I think the pound will be more affected by the relative ups and downs of the dollar this week. Ditto global stocks and US politics.

Much of the downside has already been priced in but with already 40% chance the BoE will raise interest rates this year, it could continue to rise.

Volatile times!

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Mon 27-Mar-17 14:34:13

I thought they were doing something with the atlantic. Isnt that what the phrase

Across the pond

refers to?

Dunno about the pound...nothing good

And

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Mon 27-Mar-17 14:35:24

Didnt finish that thought grin

I was going to say that i dont feel that an initial increase or decrease means anything

I think it will be more important to see where it settles after a few days or maybe even weeks

taytopotato Mon 27-Mar-17 15:59:37

I expect it might drop a bit but not as much as some people think. However, the question is when would it bounce back to pre referendum level.

I am worried about the rising inflation and hard brexit threatens the UK's food security.

prettybird Mon 27-Mar-17 17:05:20

I think most of the Brexit effect had been factored in to the current exchange rate.

If anything, the possibility of interest rates going up which for me personally would be a good thing as we've got lots of savings and a tiny mortgage due to inflationary pressures will help sustain the pound.

It's going to be a while before the shit truly hits the pound fan. As has been said frequently, we haven't actually left yet - nor will we have on Wednesday. confused

Draylon Mon 27-Mar-17 19:50:43

pretty, yes, so true, we're 2 years and 2 days away from The Big Event, but I guess we saw a -was it 18% fall?- in sterling on the day after the referendum, and we know Markets can act daftly- so I am just wondering whether, given that the Markets have known for maybe a month or so that May' wasn't going to try and soften the blow of Brexit, that the possible 'Article 50' volatility won't happen?

FTR I could use a bloody interest rise, too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now