Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders: Danger of "accidental" Brexit (whoops !) ?

(1000 Posts)
BigChocFrenzy Tue 21-Mar-17 11:43:07

i.e. Brexit without a deal - NOT intentionally so - due to UK govt incompetence and mutual UK/EU misunderstandings

The govt is proceeding from abysmal ignorance on a Brexit journey which may blunder into disaster.

Prominent Leave campaigner Richard North:

"The UK Government's narrative seems to rest on the belief that the EU will cave in under pressure, and is thus giving every sign that it is prepared to push negotiations to the wire.

If, on the other hand, the EU are determined not to budge, especially as, with their own White Paper on "The Future of Europe" triggering internal discussions unrelated to Brexit, they are not necessarily fully focused on the "British problem".

As a result, we could end up with an "accidental Brexit",
where the UK negotiators overplay their hand, ending up in the UK leaving without an agreement, forcing it to rely on WTO rules.

Most likely, it will take very little to convince the EU that Mrs May is bluffing – as the effect of the WTO option is likely to be disastrous for the UK economy.

We could thus have each side misreading each other, making the accidental Brexit all the more likely."

www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86395

HashiAsLarry Tue 21-Mar-17 11:53:11

Thanks bigchoc

what UK negotiators? wink

AllTheLight Tue 21-Mar-17 11:54:02

Place marking

drspouse Tue 21-Mar-17 11:58:24

Accidental Brexit... sounds like something about which a partner would spout the film line "It's NOT normal, it DOESN'T happen to everyone and it IS a big deal".

PoundlandUK Tue 21-Mar-17 12:01:15

Thanks choc. I was actually looking for the choc smiley to no avail...giving me the perfect excuse to gift you a St George's dragon instead.

As we drift together through this xenophobic phase of soon-to-be former UK, let's not forget that the St George, possibly greatest English symbol of patriotism, is widely acknowledged to have been a Turkish immigrant.

He's also the patron saint of Moscow, which is handy wink

www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/george_st.shtml

DepecheToad Tue 21-Mar-17 12:12:44

If a link between russia and us elections should be established... can we expect the US to retaliate?

Motheroffourdragons Tue 21-Mar-17 12:14:44

Thanks, BigChoc.
We get through these threads very quickly.

LurkingHusband Tue 21-Mar-17 12:16:49

woman12345 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:19:32

smile thanks bigchoc
Re posting this one:
www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/20/how-dirty-money-from-russia-flooded-into-the-uk-and-where-it-went
Have to wonder if this is the post brexit income stream for the south east.
There seems to be many businesses reliant “the Global Laundromat” as OCCR calls it.
"'dirty money' from Russia flooded into the UK –Investigators in eastern Europe have uncovered a trail that leads to fur brokers, Bond Street jewellers and even a Somerset school"

Funny that, because doesn't Kushner owe a lot to Russia too and Tillerson's oil interests are a conflict of interest.

twofingerstoEverything Tue 21-Mar-17 12:26:08

Jubilant Brexiters Shitting Themselves

twofingerstoEverything Tue 21-Mar-17 12:29:36

Brexiters still losers...

PoundlandUK Tue 21-Mar-17 12:29:36

Oh that's great twofingers grin

SapphireStrange Tue 21-Mar-17 12:32:02

Place-marking. Thanks BigChoc.

'We've left the EU by mistake.' With apologies to Withnail & I.

woman12345 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:34:02

grin two fingers

Urgent HOC question tabled on 'Global Laundromat'

and

"De Volkskrant, a respected Dutch newspaper, has published a long article about the negotiating strategy the EU will adopt during Brexit. It appears under the headline:

Dit is de geheime EU-strategie voor scheiding van de Britten

or, as Google Translate puts it,

This is the secret EU Strategy for separation from the British

“Brexitknop” (Brexit button?). Based on feeding it through Google Translate, here are the key points.

The EU will insist access to the internal market depends upon accepting the four freedoms, including freedom of movement, de Volkskrant claims.

The EU will propose a deal guaranteeing the reciprocal rights of EU nationals in the UK and Britons in EU countries, de Volkskrant claims.

The EU will demand an exit “bill”, de Volkskrant claims.

The EU will demand that the UK loses some of its existing trade advantages, de Volkskrant claims.

The EU has yet to decide whether to allow talks on the withdrawal deal and talks on the future trade deal to take place in parallel, as the UK wants, or sequentially, de Volkskrant says.

If the UK tries to leave without a deal, the EU could take it to court at the Hague to try to recover the money it thinks is owed, de Volkskrant says."

Brexitknop. Groot!
Who wants that for their new name? If not I'm going for grootbrexitknop

PoundlandUK Tue 21-Mar-17 12:36:25

BigBrexitKnob.

It belongs to Boris, surely.

SemiPermanent Tue 21-Mar-17 12:38:24

Tanith Tue 21-Mar-17 12:48:13

I see Cameron has finally resurfaced:

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/21/david-cameron-jokes-listening-trump-wiretaps

I wonder how much he was paid for his little joke? angry

ElenaGreco123 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:54:41

Poundland ROFL.

I have just managed to catch up with all the comments and links from last night. flowers

In relation to the Russian interference I found this article which is an interview with a former Hungarian counter-terrorism officer in a respected online portal []http://index.hu/belfold/2017/03/21/hungarian_secret_agent_reveals_how_serious_the_russian_threat_is/]]
He may or may not be telling the truth, but the stories he references are all in the public domain. The Russians have been proven to have trained and financed the recent killer of a detective and a serial killer of Romas, they turned the former head of counter-intelligence in Hungary, their agents are evidently spreading rubbish on public media (e.g. the Lisa affair www.nato.int/docu/Review/2016/Also-in-2016/lisa-case-germany-target-russian-disinformation/EN/index.htm or saying that Brussels Zavantem was attacked by Belorussians).
I have no clue what they are trying to achieve. It reminds me of Adam Curtis in Hypernormalisation talking about Vladislav Surkov creating chaos.

ElenaGreco123 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:55:20

index.hu/belfold/2017/03/21/hungarian_secret_agent_reveals_how_serious_the_russian_threat_is/

Motheroffourdragons Tue 21-Mar-17 12:56:47

Yep I am liking the new name. I think Boris will have some competition for it grin

GreenPeppers Tue 21-Mar-17 12:58:00

Thanks for the thread

Motheroffourdragons Tue 21-Mar-17 13:00:02

twofingers - great links grin.

twofingerstoEverything Tue 21-Mar-17 13:01:20

A pictorial analogy...

Motheroffourdragons Tue 21-Mar-17 13:02:17

If a link between russia and us elections should be established... can we expect the US to retaliate?

By the sounds of it, the link has been established, it is the nature of it that requires investigation. I don't think they will retaliate against the Russians, but Trump will be in trouble, surely if any of Team Trump are involved.

Crosses fingers

unicornsIlovethem Tue 21-Mar-17 13:07:34

Thanks Bigchoc.

I think someone mentioned a Whitehall power grab on the last thread (and of course that funny AIBU): David Allen Green has had a look at this jackofkent.com/2017/03/why-the-great-repeal-bill-will-in-truth-be-the-great-whitehall-power-grab/

This thread is not accepting new messages.