Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders: Its time to fire the starting gun. At our own heads.

(986 Posts)
RedToothBrush Wed 15-Mar-17 12:03:08

Its time for the suicide. The note will say simply, "The EU made us do it".

David Davies, says that despite May’s assertion that no deal is better than a bad deal for the UK, that actually we don’t know this as he hasn’t got round to quantifying the impact of no deal.

He still has no answers for anything apart from “I dunno” and “I’ll do it later”. I can’t wait for when the dog ate my homework excuse.

After 9 months. That’s how far we’ve got. Brexit negotiation skills will have 18 months (not 2 years as it’ll need to be ratified). We are still hiring people for the Brexit department. What about all these EU agencies that the UK will have to replicate and hire and train up in 2 years time?

I’m still waiting for Davies to tell me what all these potential benefits he keeps going on about are too. Benefits for who exactly? Ah yes we know the answer to this one too, even if its not being said. Its political elites and elites with lots of money who can consolidate power and enslave the population through debt and desperation. Goodie. Just what I’ve always wanted. As long as I can wave my Union Jack. Oh. Shit. Bugger.

Nicola Sturgeon, has been doing a good job of showing Brexiteers exactly what they look like to Remainers by holding up the mirror of irony to the Vampires of the 19th Century State. The sight of them tripping over themselves saying its irrational to hold a ‘blind vote’ and that the economic argument is flawed is hilarious. If you are not British.

Hammond has been forced to u-turn on NIC budget announcement as it was not in the spirit of the manifesto. What happened to the manifesto pledge to the protect interests in the Single Market. Lets be honest, the New Tory Manifesto read simply: “We’ll wing it and see what we can get away with”. I wonder how many people would vote for that.

Its Brexit at all costs. No matter what. We must keep the foreigners out. Even though Davis hasn’t done an assessment on the financial impact of migration. Just think about that for a second. Actually don’t because you might actually want to shoot yourself in the head.

At best the government are still relying on Game Theory as a basis for their negotiations and the EU are already going, “Er we don’t think so”.

Perhaps this is the intention of May’s tour to build consensus. She’s handing out guns and bullets to anyone who displays rational thought, to blow their own brains out.

May’s weakness is her manner and her chip on her shoulder for the law. Her own party are not immune to it. She seems to think trade deals are not done based on goodwill. May’s weakness is Britain’s folly.

Pass the blindfolds round, and get on your knees and await our own execution by our own hands.

Bang.

RIP The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. I will remember you with nostalgic fondness but equally with bitterness and shame. Our finest hours are long since passed (and were tainted with the excesses of exploitation anyway) and we must accept this as part of the process of ‘accepting Brexit’.

Now its time for the empty hand to start being shown and the blame game to begin in earnest. The politics of hate have only just begun and the divorce has not started yet. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar are the kids we might not get custody of.

We’ll be blacking up again, running around groping women like Benny Hill and pushing people back into the closet as we hit the off switch before you know it. As well as having nice shiny new ID cards we’ll have to pay for the privilege of owning and carrying at all times, to prove we aren’t nasty illegal immigrants or those equally nasty legal ones clogging up our NHS (by working for it).

Don’t worry though. Uncle Donny will save us. If he doesn’t die suddenly after eating a bowl of Russia soup or have a fatal heart attack after accidentally falling out of a tenth story window.

HashiAsLarry Wed 15-Mar-17 12:05:45

I'd say thanks rtb but I haven't looked into it grin

SemiPermanent Wed 15-Mar-17 12:06:50

Thanks, as ever smile

drwitch Wed 15-Mar-17 12:09:02

great opening red

unicornsIlovethem Wed 15-Mar-17 12:09:31

Thanks RTB. Good to see you back although BigChoc did sterling work in your absence!

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Dutch elections today. My guess is that the dutch have seen the mess the UK and US are in and won't want to join them but we'll see later!

woman12345 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:12:28

What unicorns said. smile

Mistigri Wed 15-Mar-17 12:13:57

Thanks Red.

Just read the entire (300+ tweet) Ian Dunt thread on David Davis's evidence giving session today.

Quite unbelievable. No wonder the budget didn't contain any money to pay for new infrastructure and systems for brexit. They don't even know what will be required and what it will cost yet!!!

But somehow we will have a deal in 18 months. LOL. These people are staggeringly inept. I thought Davis was one of the more clued up brexiters!!! Wrong.

GreenPeppers Wed 15-Mar-17 12:16:53

Thanks Red

Ok I think I need to start to go on twitter to follow some people there...

lalalonglegs Wed 15-Mar-17 12:17:00

Funny you should say that, unicorns. I've kept an occasional eye on polls for the Dutch elections and, through the end of last year and the first couple of months of this year, the PVV (Geert Wilders' party) was way ahead in every single one. I haven't looked recently but checked today and... PVV has been behind for a couple of weeks smile.

lalalonglegs Wed 15-Mar-17 12:17:21

Oooh - and thanks to RTB.

RedToothBrush Wed 15-Mar-17 12:18:04

Sky News @SkyNews
Govt U-turn over increase in National Insurance contributions for the self-employed set out in #springbudget by Philip Hammond

Ed Vaizey‏ @edvaizey
Blimey. I've been vigorously defending it...

Laura Kuenssberg‏@bbclaurak
This is not going to be pretty... one MP (not this one) says he is 'livid'

Faisal Islam‏@faisalislam
PM allowed Chancellor to announce change in letter before PMQs rather than announce herself at PMQs - No 11 authority important to No 10

A cynic might say that No 10 was distancing itself from the U-turn and trying to avoid the fall out from Tory MPs who have been defending the policy to keep the knives out of May's back using Hammond as the body guard.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 15-Mar-17 12:18:20

Thank you again, Red, and also to BigChoc who stepped in well in your absence.

Bananagio Wed 15-Mar-17 12:22:46

Thanks red

drwitch Wed 15-Mar-17 12:23:39

It could be that they are thinking that that the only way a no deal exit can be a credible threat is for the person making it not to understand the costs. Thus strategic ignorance could be a good bargaining tool!

DamnCommandments Wed 15-Mar-17 12:24:23

There's been rioting here in Rotterdam this past weekend - related to the Turkish referendum. I was really worried that would strengthen Wilders' PVV, but there's polling showing a late swing to the liberal social democrats (D66).

TheElementsSong Wed 15-Mar-17 12:33:51

I'm just like this shock at this morning's events.

RedToothBrush Wed 15-Mar-17 12:34:04

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/philip-hammonds-nics-u-turn-blown-credibility-chancellor/
Philip Hammond’s NICs U-turn has blown his credibility as Chancellor

He asked back benchers to support him...

And he is now shown to not have the backing of no 10.

Peregrina Wed 15-Mar-17 12:44:46

When, oh when, is a little boy going to come along and say "Look at the King - he's naked!" ?

Good to see May's loyalty to her Chancellor. If he was sensible he would resign, and let May promote another idiot from her right-wing cronies.

RedToothBrush Wed 15-Mar-17 12:45:37

Ian Dunt‏@IanDunt
The fact PMQs has ended is the first good thing to happen today.

mathanxiety Wed 15-Mar-17 12:45:41

Placemark

prettybird Wed 15-Mar-17 13:04:38

I just can't get over the U-turn on NICs being justified on the basis of not wanting to go against their manifesto pledge, yet the commitment to the single market doesn't get the same respect confused

shameless placemark wink

I presume that means that the extra funding to Social Care can be ditched on the basis that there's no extra money. I'm sure that the Conservatives will be so upset about that hmm

Valentine2 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:13:58

Thanks red

PoundlandUK Wed 15-Mar-17 13:16:15

gin

PattyPenguin Wed 15-Mar-17 13:17:33

David Davis on why Kent wouldn't need to be turned into a lorry park:

"Davis argued that as big an issue as tariffs were potential border delays, which could possibly be avoided through the extension of electronic, light-touch customs checks after Brexit.

Under such “authorised economic operators” arrangements, more than 90% of cross-border traffic can be cleared in five seconds, Davis said."

So basically we would have no idea what was coming in and whether HMRC should be collecting any money on it.

Also, does anyone think the EU will be happy with a "light touch" going the other way?

Badders123 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:34:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now