Talk

Advanced search

"Cashing in" your EU citizenship ?

(53 Posts)
BrummieRemainer Fri 10-Mar-17 14:56:20

Well, despite having had it available to me since birth (196x), I never really gave my other nationality a thought. Naively assuming that being British and European were interchangeable.

But since 23rd June last year, spurred on by hearing "jokes" about my |(obviously Italian) surname that I hadn't heard since the 70s, I decided to make a stand, and actually get my second passport.

With amazing efficiency, once I had filled the form in online, and with a 90 minute wait and 5 minute interview, my passport was printed the day after, and dispatched within a week. (I'm still waiting for my UK passport which was sent off the same day smile).

Anyway, has anyone else here been moved to apply for their second citizenship as a result of Brexit ?

It was very much a symbolic gesture. For various reasons I'm unlikely to emigrate. But I refuse to let a bunch of xenophobic (the number of times of late my DF84 has been told to fuck off home angry) louts bully me out of my birthright.

gandalf456 Fri 10-Mar-17 14:59:51

Thought about it, yes. Could get an Irish passport

EssentialHummus Fri 10-Mar-17 15:14:17

With no small amount of irony, Brexit has spurred me on to apply for British citizenship. I'm an EU-er, and would have happily stayed here on those terms. The uncertainty of what will happen in the future has led me to get my act together on British citizenship.

SapphireStrange Fri 10-Mar-17 15:36:22

God, I'm so envious of anyone who can do this!

My dad could have an Irish passport, but I'm a generation too late for one – my grandmother (his mother) was from an Irish family but was inconsiderate enough to be born in the UK.

I have been trying to think of alternatives to hang on to my EU rights though, but it's hard. DP is boringly English and Scottish, my mum's family are English way back... Thinking of moving to Ireland and just applying for citizenship that way. Or maybe hanging on for an independent EU-member Scotland and moving there... cloud cuckoo land

prettybird Fri 10-Mar-17 18:53:02

Unfortunately, despite my very German surname which I kept when I got married because it is so unusual all my EU "ancestors" (German, Danish and Irish) are all one generation too far removed for me to acquire citizenship sad I checked hmm

I'll just have to hope for Scottish independence and at the very least EFTA membership (prior to full EU remembership wink) with FoM smile

whatwouldrondo Fri 10-Mar-17 20:02:00

Annoyingly my Brexit voting Mother is the last generation to be able to get an Irish passport. She has four grandchildren who are or were planning to use Freedom of movement, one has made a life in France and bought property. We have suggested she apply for an Irish passport and then move to Ireland for however long it takes to earn them the right.....

Olympiathequeen Fri 10-Mar-17 20:40:17

I voted leave but am also entitled to an Irish passport. Bit ironic really!

MaryWortleyMontagu Fri 10-Mar-17 20:49:14

Yes but unfortunately not for me. First thing I did on 24 June was to make an appointment at the German Embassy to apply for a passport for dd (4 years old). She knows about 4 words of german but has a passport and muggins me who can speak the language a little can't get one!

allegretto Fri 10-Mar-17 20:53:36

I'm in the process of applying for Italian citizenship.

FourToTheFloor Fri 10-Mar-17 20:59:22

whatwould I think your dm needs to born in Ireland to pass it on.

Ironically I applied for British citizenship a week before the vote to get an EU passport as dh and dd's are Irish.

Fucking pissed off doesn't even come close to how annoyed I am angry

MrsDoylesladder Fri 10-Mar-17 21:04:54

Ireland

Mistigri Fri 10-Mar-17 21:07:07

We've got French nationality for both our teenagers since last June - they were both born in France, so we were able to obtain nationality for them via a very simple court procedure that involved completing a one page form, providing ID documents and proof of residence, and attending a meeting with a court official. It was free.

The procedure for getting passports was very quick and efficient - it's done through the local town hall at a cost of about €40. ID cards are free but take a little longer.

Would have done it at some point but the referendum definitely made us do it earlier.

Anon1234567890 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:04:09

There is no such thing as EU citizenship. confused
What you are confusing is Irish/Italian... citizenship.
Thankfully the UK is leaving the EU before such a thing becomes a reality.

Broccolirevolution Sat 11-Mar-17 20:08:46

You know fine well what they mean Anon

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 11-Mar-17 20:12:59

I'm in the process of formalising my French citizenship. My mother didn't register my birth with the French Consulate in London so I have to obtain a certificate of French nationality. But there is such a backlog that it will take between 18 and 22 months, apparently. Once I have that I should be able to get a French passport quite quickly. The whole process will be a race against Brexit! DH managed to get his Irish passport within a month.

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 11-Mar-17 20:20:53

Good news?

HardcoreLadyType Sat 11-Mar-17 20:21:11

Actually, there is such a thing as EU citizenship.

Any person who holds the nationality of an EU country is automatically also an EU citizen. EU citizenship is additional to and does not replace national citizenship.

Anon1234567890 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:21:38

You know fine well what they mean

Yes I know what they mean, and they are factually wrong. And its part of the reason why so many people are afraid we are becoming a united states of Europe.

PotatoesPastaAndBread Sat 11-Mar-17 20:24:53

Yes my grandma was Irish and I'm going to apply for Irish citizenship. Something I had never considered before.

EssentialHummus Sat 11-Mar-17 20:27:39

hardcore and hirples got in first with what I wanted to say. Obviously for people like us, the advantages of being part of the EU (as individual citizens if not nationally) outweigh the potential risks/fears you mention anon. I'll refrain from commenting on the rationality or otherwise of those fears, because that way a bunfight lies.

Natsku Sat 11-Mar-17 20:30:28

Already have it but have been wondering whether I should get my DD her British citizenship (we live in Finland, she was born here and so far just has Finnish citizenship but is entitled to British too)

Wasn't there something about EU citizenship being made open to Brits who want it? Vaguely remember seeing that in the news but maybe it was hyperbole.

user1483387154 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:30:30

I would love dual citizenship with the mainland EU country I live in, sadly this can not be done. I would have to give up my UK passport to receive one for the Country I have legal residency in now. I am not willing to give up my UK passport so that means my husband and our child will have different ones to me.

Lunde Sat 11-Mar-17 20:30:59

I applied for Swedish citizenship the week that the referendum was announced - it was all online and took 12 days to be approved.

Birdandsparrow Sat 11-Mar-17 20:31:28

Yes. I have lived in Spain for nearly 18 years and have applied for Spanish nationality as a result of Brexit. Unfortunately it takes 2-4 years so may be in limbo if Brexit happens first. Am also entitled to Irish citizenship through mother and maternal and paternal grandmothers. Might apply for that as well.

SwedishEdith Sat 11-Mar-17 20:33:09

I'm entitled to Irish but am hesitant to do anything as I can't pass it on. Should have got it before I had kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now