Talk

Advanced search

If leaving the EU is a complete and utter disaster, who will you blame?

(297 Posts)
fakenamefornow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:06:13

Ten years down the line, the economy is struggling because of it, troubles in NI are inflamed again, I'm scared to even think what might go wrong in Gibraltar or a split with Scotland. Anyway, if it is a huge mistake, who will be at fault?

midcenturymodern Tue 24-Jan-17 19:13:11

I would blame David Cameron for calling the referendum with absolutely no plan about what would happen if Leave won.

I blame Boris/Gove/Farage for using their platform to lie their arses off to get people to vote, but their wouldn't have been a vote in the first place without Cameron. He was the Prime Minister and he royally fucked up. I suppose I could also blame people who voted for him but them I'd have to blame the LibDems for making everyone hate them in 2010 so 2015 was a disaster for them and Labour for running such a shit campaign that they thought anti immigration mugs were a good idea. Still Cameron though.

fakenamefornow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:25:14

I suspect leave voters and politicians and right wing press will blame the EU for not just giving us everything we want, even if it would be damaging their own countries. And Remain voters for not being delighted about it all.

Marmitelover55 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:42:28

I will blame the 52% who believed the blatant lies and had had enough of experts.

Kaija Tue 24-Jan-17 20:05:36

Forriners. And lawyers.

Only kidding. There's plenty of blame to go round.

In no particular order: Cameron of course for his cowardly short-termism in appeasing the swivel-eyed fringe of his party. Swivel-eyed Daniel Hannon for his weird decades long obsession with this issue and habit of making 100% wrong pronouncements with 100% certainty. Boris Johnson - Obvious reasons - not least for his work in grooming half the nation into phony Euroscepticism through his "hilarious" columns in the Telegraph in the 90s about bananas etc etc. David Davis for confidently swimming way out of his depth and dragging us all with him. Michael Gove. (Actually I can barely bring myself to blame someone so lost and confused.) Corbyn, for the incoherence of his position and for his utter failure to do his job as leader of the opposition. Seamus Milne for his part in that. The BBC for distorting EU issues by bending over backwards to produce false balance. Murdoch, The Mail, Express, Sun (Obvious reasons). Arron Banks. Schoolboy fascist Farridge and his helpers. Hardworking damaged genius Dominic Cummings. May. IDS. James f*cking Dyson.

Have I missed anyone?

TuckersBadLuck Tue 24-Jan-17 20:29:30

I will blame the 52% who believed the blatant lies and had had enough of experts.

You can't blame all 52% of them! Many of them may have had well thought-out and valid opinions - just because their opinions are different to yours doesn't make the people worthy of any blame.

Personally I'd blame the people who voted leave based on a purely racist agenda - a small proportion though they may have been it would have been enough to swing the vote. Then I'd blame the shameless liars in the media and the Leave campaign. Then the education system for producing a whole country full of people apparently incapable of logical thought and unable to distinguish between facts and lies.

lazysummer Tue 24-Jan-17 20:30:54

As above, but David Cameron the most. How dare he have been so complacent as he gambled away the future? I should add, closely followed by Jeremy Corbyn, for his lack of leadership and refusal to share a platform with conservatives. Now I think about it, the Johnson and Gove partnership was the worst- playing dangerous games I am convinced neither actually wanted to win. It was just a bit of fun, highlighted in Sarah Vine's column the next day.

Kaija Tue 24-Jan-17 20:33:07

"the education system"

Well, assuming it is a disaster, that would be the education system of 40+ years ago given the breakdown of the vote.

Cherryskypie Tue 24-Jan-17 20:38:04

'You can't blame all 52% of them! Many of them may have had well thought-out and valid opinions'

Which means they're entitled to vote the way they see fit, not that they are shielded from blame for the consequences of their decision.

TuckersBadLuck Tue 24-Jan-17 20:38:31

Let's blame Secondary Moderns then! grin

Cherryskypie Tue 24-Jan-17 20:39:59

I'd blame wilful ignorance, nationalism, racism and Tory fear of UKIP.

TuckersBadLuck Tue 24-Jan-17 20:41:06

Which means they're entitled to vote the way they see fit, not that they are shielded from blame for the consequences of their decision.

I see what you mean but you can't 'blame' someone for having a different opinion to you can you?

Knittedfrog Tue 24-Jan-17 20:56:04

Cameron - for calling the referendum with no plan.

Both Campaigns - for lying and scaremongering.

M.P's - for having the chance to vote for the best interests of their constituents but instead voting to save themselves

shutthefrontdoor123 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:59:41

The British superiority complex

larrygrylls Tue 24-Jan-17 21:03:16

Firstly, what are your failure criteria? How can we judge it and exclude other factors?

Secondly, why so keen to blame anyone? You try something, it doesn't work, so you try to repair the damage as best you can.

Finally, if it is a roaring success, to whom will you attribute the success?

Efferlunt Tue 24-Jan-17 21:06:43

All of what Kaija said but also Micheal Gove for being Murdoch's bitch

Cherryskypie Tue 24-Jan-17 21:21:30

You can blame them for the consequences of their vote.

Deadsouls Tue 24-Jan-17 21:21:34

I'm going to blame Donald Trump for everything herafter

InfiniteSheldon Tue 24-Jan-17 21:22:21

And if it's a roaring success who will you apologise to?

Deadsouls Tue 24-Jan-17 21:24:25

Errrr.....'roaring success'?

Crumbs1 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:25:40

I blame the 52% who failed to understand what the potential risks are. Who were so blind to the lies and hate pumped out by Farage et al. I blame Cameron for holding a silly referendum with no clarity to people that it was advisory rather than decisive. I blame opportunistic politicians who jumped on the bandwagon for their personal gain knowing they were campaigning based on lies.

Cherryskypie Tue 24-Jan-17 21:26:17

grin at roaring success. Maybe we should blame whoever's been dosing the water supply.

Deadsouls Tue 24-Jan-17 21:27:07

All the people who wanted to put the 'great' back into 'Great Britain', because that's going so well

buckingfrolicks Tue 24-Jan-17 21:27:38

I'm with Crumbs1 on this - nicely summed up!

Figmentofmyimagination Tue 24-Jan-17 21:27:56

I blame Ed Milliband for holing the opposition by changing the voter rules for leader so that the decision ended up in the hands of a band of die hard corbynites who each paid £3.50 .... leaving Labour unable to act as an effective government-in-waiting and unleashing the full insanity of the Tory far right fringe, usually kept in check by the prospect of many years in opposition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now