Talk

Advanced search

Campaign to ignore referendum (Stephen Dorrell)

(13 Posts)
lurkinghusband Mon 19-Dec-16 10:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamWendy Mon 19-Dec-16 12:58:32

Uh-huh. Good luck with this. suppressed giggling

InfiniteSheldon Mon 19-Dec-16 20:51:06

Also could be titled fuck democracy we know better than you oiks. At least own your shit.

RortyCrankle Mon 19-Dec-16 20:52:33

Pathetic.

lalalonglegs Mon 19-Dec-16 21:35:55

Thanks, lurking, I hadn't heard of it but I've now registered.

Twogoats Mon 19-Dec-16 21:37:22

Ffs, how many more petitions?!?

There's a new one every day!

StripeyMonkey1 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:39:09

Lots of petitions because people feel strongly. It's ok for them to express their views. That underpins a democracy and a free society.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should ignore the referendum result, but I do think we should view it in context.

StripeyMonkey1 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:41:21

And part of that context is that a large number of people in this country want to stay close to the EU.

SapphireStrange Tue 20-Dec-16 17:33:50

Amen, Stripey.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 04-Jan-17 08:19:39

Close to Europe,

Or subject to laws passed by an un-elected, un-accountable, un-democratic, political class?

YourOtherLeft Wed 04-Jan-17 08:40:54

The vote was "advisory" and until it's ratified by MPs, the democratic process of deciding to leave the EU has not been completed. In this case, adhereing to the "the will of the people" requires the democratically elected representatives of the people to agree with the plebiscite. There are plenty on both sides of the argument who are anti-democratic (e.g. Daily Mail).

BringsYouFlowers Wed 04-Jan-17 08:59:11

I really rate Stephen Dorrell and respect him as a voice of reason, way above his Tory colleagues (I'm not a Tory!) having seen him in action on Health Select Committee.

He was campaigning for Remain on the basis of the harm that brexit would do to the NHS.
It's an advisory ref and it doesn't mean we have to fuck up the UK in how it is interpreted.
The ref didn't offer us different models of leaving the EU so it's right that MPs think about that carefully now because the ref didn't ask any of us about it.
He's doing exactly the right thing as an MP- they are there to scrutinise!
I'm going to write to him to say thanks because I can imagine there is a lot of pressure on him just to go along with things.

BringsYouFlowers Wed 04-Jan-17 09:03:49

Sorry meant to say as an MP should! (He's not one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now