Talk

Advanced search

Farage in the Telegraph

(10 Posts)
TuckersBadLuck Sun 11-Dec-16 22:27:50

I'm particularly fired up tonight because of the comments NF has made in his interview with the Telegraph.

Normally I ignore anything I read in the Telegraph unless I can verify the source elsewhere (much as I do with the Guardian and the Heil) but am I right to think that a 'feature' Telegraph interview with Farage is almost certainly accurately reported and sending out a message both parties (NF/DT) are happy with?

MaryBerrybeard Mon 12-Dec-16 19:21:24

Is it behind the paywall?

scaredoffallout Tue 13-Dec-16 06:41:02

What comments did he make?

InfiniteSheldon Tue 13-Dec-16 08:13:11

I agree great article

Crumbs1 Tue 13-Dec-16 08:17:14

Quite a good report but I just wish they'd stop giving this self serving, hate inducing nasty piece of work further publicity.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Tue 13-Dec-16 19:27:42

op can you give us a clue as to what article it was please confused

TuckersBadLuck Tue 13-Dec-16 19:41:07

Sorry, I was a bit tipsy at the time and I'd forgotten I'd started the thread. I was just writing a reply to myself. blush

It was his 'low-grade people comment', complaining about being poor and saying (of people in UKIP) that he now doesn't "have to spend my life dealing with people I would never have a drink with, who I would never employ and who use me as a vehicle for their own self-promotion".

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/09/nigel-farage-exclusive-interview-special-relationship-donald/

Disgusting slimy little man.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Tue 13-Dec-16 19:50:14

sorry dont have access behind pay wall

TuckersBadLuck Tue 13-Dec-16 19:59:08

You just need to register to read it, not pay. But anyway:

"Here" is Boisdale Belgravia, one of London’s more expensive restaurants and a regular Farage haunt. He’s out on the smoking terrace, fag in hand and a bottle of claret on the way. It’s 4pm on a Thursday.

Other customers include one of the richest members of the House of Lords and sundry other tycoons, several of whom pop by our table to shake hands, invite him to things, and, in one case, bum a fag.

He is utterly comfort­able, laughing easily and often: this is home ground. He is among friends. He has an entourage, too: a couple of media handlers, an assistant and a security man.

As the wine is uncorked, he tells his PA to book flights to Washington a few days later "for meetings", then a connection to New York for television interviews. This is a fairly typical week: when I ask him where he actually lives, he replies, "I’m nomadic these days."

So, how’s retirement from politics working out, then? "Fantastic," he says raising his glass and explaining that of course, when he said he was leaving politics, he only meant party politics. Ukip may have been the vehicle that he built and then rode to fame, but he really, really doesn’t miss leading it.

"I am having a great time. I am not having to deal with low-grade people every day, I am not responsible for what our branch secretary in Lower Slaughter said half-cut on Twitter last night – that isn’t my fault any more. I don’t have to go to eight-hour party executive meetings.

"I don’t have to spend my life dealing with people I would never have a drink with, who I would never employ and who use me as a vehicle for their own self-promotion. There are a lot of great people in Ukip. The problem is that Ukip has become a bit like the other parties: people view it as a means to get elected."

Money is important to Farage. A former City trader who counts numerous seriously wealthy people as friends and admirers, he can sound like a man who has a rather skewed idea of what’s normal when it comes to wealth.

"Half my colleagues, my old contemporaries in the City, are now worth real money," he notes.

What’s "real money"? ‘Well, I had lunch with a friend on Sunday, he’s worth 60. Some of my very clever friends are worth 300 or 400,’ he says, meaning millions of pounds.

"I have no regrets about being poor." You’re poor? With an MEP’s salary of £85,000 plus expenses and a wife on the payroll, you’re poor? What would those northern Labour voters think of that? "Yeah, I am," he says, sounding surprisingly defensive. Then there’s a big laugh that feels a little forced and he retreats.

There is more of it.

Sedgewick Mon 02-Jan-17 11:48:20

Brilliant article where supposed "man of the people" Farage - reveals who he really is.

As if we didn't already know.

He should have also mentioned that he is a cowardly, lying racist, who led us to Brexit, never for a moment considering how it might be achieved.

Now he'll skip off into the sunset with Trump.

Two peas in a pod.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now