Talk

Advanced search

Westministenders. Boris has lost it. Time for that emergency budge--- er tax giveaway.

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Mon 21-Nov-16 11:17:06

Bloody hell where are we up to?

Trump is preparing for the White House. He has refused to give up his assets which will be a conflict of interest and maybe lead to corruption. He has just settled a fraud case out of court. One of the cases of illegal sexual behaviour has collapsed after the claimant was too afraid to proceed. His VP believes in stopping all abortions by any means necessary and beliefs in gay conversion therapy. He has appointed a white supremacist as his chief strategist. His attorney general is regarded as amnesty’s biggest enemy opposing just about all human rights bills as a senator. He has also been dogged by accusations of racism. His national security advisor supports torture techniques such as water boarding. These three appointments have been greeted with delight from the former leader of the KKK.

Man of the people, Nigel Farage is trying to undermine Theresa May and sideline the government by cozying up to Trump in front of a couple of gold doors. His long term intentions look increasingly wider than purely being about the EU and ever more sinister in nature. He is in danger of doing a rather good Moseley impression.

Meanwhile rumours persist of voter suppression and dubious election practices in several key states, which are hugely undemocratic and Hillary Clinton wins the popular vote.

These are all things you are supposed to ignore, and are just expected to believe that everything is okay and that it’s the fault of liberals for standing up for discrimination and that this discrimination is none existent in the first place. Unless your Head of State is named Merkel.

But don’t worry, our Head of State is set to intervene though. The Queen is due to invite Trump to Windsor and is our secret weapon. Like Kate is our secret Brexit weapon. The cost of this intervention? A £396million refurb of Buck Pally. If she can pull that off, hell, let’s just send her to Brussels instead of Johnson. We might get some good will even if Philip drops a clanger about prosecco.

Back in the UK, the a50 saga drags on. The NI case now joins the ‘People’s Challenge’ at the Supreme Court, as well as new representation coming from both the Scottish Government and Welsh assembly. The government defence has changed, with one of the key changes has been to describe our rights under the EU as different by calling them “internationally established rights” and therefore different to domestic rights. They now say that they previously agreed with the claimant that a50 was irrevocable, their position is now that whether it is irrevocable or revocable is irrelevant to the strength of the case, effectively leaving it open for the devolved governments to pursue this line.

Previously it was assumed that this would require a referral to the ECJ. It is not necessarily the case. The situation is more complex as was outlined in a HoC Library Briefing. In this, it states a referral might be legal unavoidable as otherwise could be open to damages, might not be needed as the Supreme Court itself holds the power to decide whether a50 is reversible or not or that the Supreme Court does not have the authority to refer until after a50 has been triggered (which changes the dynamics of things).

Even then, it might prove to be legally possible but politically impossible to reverse, it might require a unanimous agreement to reverse by the other 27 which might enforce conditions in doing so.

Several senior Conservatives have called for the government to drop the appeal. Oliver Letwin, argues that it is might up the government up to being vetoed by the devolved assemblies, Dominic Grieve thinks its simply unlikely to win, and Edward Garnier has said it leaves “an opportunity for ill motivated people to attack the judiciary and misconstrue the motives of both parties to the lawsuit”.

One of the Supreme Court judges has been criticised for outlining the case to law students in a speech due to misreporting. In the speech she said that the referendum was not legally binding before going on to explain that an act of parliament to trigger a50 might not be enough and that the Great Repeal Act might have to be passed to replace the European Communities Act before we can notify the EU of our intent to leave if the defense case holds up before she went on to explain the government’s position. Another Supreme Court judge has been called to excuse himself after his wife made pro-EU tweets as obviously by nature of being married, is completely biased.

A former lord chief justice has now warned that Liz Truss has caused a “constitutional breakdown” and may have broken the law by failing to defend judges.

I’m putting money on the live video feed of the Supreme Court breaking due to ‘unprecedented demand’. This of course is a conspiracy.

At the same time a Three Line Bill for a50 is prepared to put to the HoC with the intention that the HoC and HoL would not ‘dare defy it’. Except the Lib Dem Lords are suggesting they see no reason why they shouldn’t table an amendment that ensures parliamentary scrutiny and have consulted a constitutional lawyer over the matter. The feeling is that, if they don’t do this, then what is the point of the HoL? At the same time, measures to restrict the powers of the HoL over statutory instruments have also been dropped. This seems to be a good thing given the timing, until you find out the apparent reason; they apparently will need these powers to enact the Great Repeal Act.

Elsewhere a who’s who of the right of the Tory Party – 60 MPs – back a call to leave the Single Market and the Customs Union, whilst Hammond regards himself as the last voice of sanity in the Cabinet over the realistic challenges of Brexit.

Hammond is to deliver his Autumn Statement this week, which looks set to include tax breaks to those earning over £43,000 which Shadow Chancellor McDonnell agrees with. McDonnell of course has been doing a lot of agreeing with the government lately. Austerity looks unlikely to end. The NHS seems likely to as well.

Work and Pensions Secretary, Damien Green has been wetting his pants at the exciting opportunity to expand the gig economy. The growth of which I think few will argue has been a hugely contributory factor to feelings that drove the Leave vote. More Tory MPs have rebelled on cuts to disability benefits calling them cruel.

Liz Truss has had a riot from prisoners and a revolt from the prison staff in addition to her problems

Amber Rudd has been forced to admit there are secret files on the miners’ strike and Orgreave clashes which she did not take into consideration whilst making the Orgreave decision. Is that the faint whiff of a cover up? She has also had the largest victims charity withdraw its support from the child abuse inquiry initiated by May.

Arron Banks has a plan to ‘Drain the Swamp’ of British politics from corruption. This seems to ignore the incredible antics of Liam Fox and instead focus on some of the most pro-remain voices of Clegg, Soubry and Lammy. This happens just as UKIP have been accused in a EU audit, which Farage does not think are carried out frequency enough, that it has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds improperly and may have to refund this. This is unfair. Apparently. In other UKIP’s news, the likely leader, Paul Nuttall, has said on the day that Aleppo’s last hospital was destroyed that he thinks Putin is behaving appropriately in Syria. Post-Truth indeed.

What we need is accountability for the national interest. Not any of this shit of blaming liberalism for the party political self interest of the last 40 years.

In light relief, Ed Balls might be popular at dancing but when it comes to leader of Labour he polls even worse than Corbyn. A fate only shared by Tony Blair. So it could be worse…

Anyway, I know there are few heads going down here, so I’m going to leave you with a link to a quote from Vaclav Havel:
www.indexoncensorship.org/2011/12/vacla-havel-index-on-censorship-ludvik-vakulik/
Vaclav Havel: "We became dissidents without actually knowing how"

LurkingHusband Mon 21-Nov-16 11:27:15

Peregrina Mon 21-Nov-16 11:32:16

Marking my place here.

HummusForBreakfast Mon 21-Nov-16 11:34:53

Marking place

Red so true and so depressing

twofingerstoGideon Mon 21-Nov-16 11:34:56

Thanks, Red.

InformalRoman Mon 21-Nov-16 11:35:13

Has anyone seen the Alec Baldwin Trump sketch from Saturday Night Live this weekend? The Donald isn't very happy about it and took to Twitter. Again. Alec Baldwin's replies are spot on.

shirleyknotanotherbot Mon 21-Nov-16 11:40:21

Thanks red, ever the voice of reason.

lalalonglegs Mon 21-Nov-16 11:53:34

Ooh, could you link, Roman, I'm useless as finding stuff on Twitter.

Excellent summary as always, RTB and a wonderful quote from the late Vaclev Havel halo.

usuallydormant Mon 21-Nov-16 11:58:43

Some key events from the last 24 hours to add from EU countries which are very relevant to Brexit:

Merkel has announced she is running again in the upcoming German elections, seeking a fourth term. Apparently 55% of Germans say they would vote for her so I guess she is in with a good chance and if she wins, means consistency of approach towards the UK with Brexit.

It's a long way from over but many of us in France are heaving a huge sign of relief that Sarko came in third. The battle is now on between Fillon and Juppé to be the right wing candidate. Given that neither of them played the hate card like Sarko, this might be hopeful. Neither are inspiring politicians and won't get much changed but if France can hold the line and not let Le Pen in, it is better for us all as human beings.

In addition, as it is unlikely that the left in France will be able to field a decent candidate and to defeat Le Pen, the left are going to have to vote for the right wing candidate. Lots would not have been able to vote for Sarkozy but they can hold their noses and vote for Juppé or Fillon. But I don't think anyone (except Le Pen) will be helpful to a soft Brexit for the UK.

A reminder that in France, there are two rounds for the presidentials. Le Pen has around 30% of the electorate as a core vote, so it is expected she will go through to round two where it is expected the other 70% will vote for the other candidate. But it is key to avoid a Clinton type scenario where a lot of voters avoid polling booths rather than vote for the lesser of two evils.

Motheroffourdragons Mon 21-Nov-16 12:08:48

Thanks, Red, I am marking my place.

MagikarpetRide Mon 21-Nov-16 12:16:21

Jesus Christ Almighty.

Did the pub close for the weekend or something? WTAF was happening on the other thread?

Thanks red

merrymouse Mon 21-Nov-16 12:45:15

Thanks again Red.

TheBathroomSink Mon 21-Nov-16 12:46:35

I think this is the SNL sketch in question tvline.com/2016/11/19/saturday-night-live-alec-baldwin-jason-sudeikis-donald-trump-cold-open-video/

In response to the ever-so-Presidential twitter whinge, Alec Baldwin replied:
“[the] election is over. There is no more equal time.” “try to be President, and people respond. That’s pretty much it.”

May's speech to the CBI today was apparently snooze-inducing, although she did hint that there might be a transitional deal, although this was in the Q&A, not the speech. Not going down well with the frothers:
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
Brexit MPs angered by May's hint of a transitional arrangement. "The door was closed by the British people," says one.

Banks has raised his poisonous head again to propose the abolition of the Lords and that the House of Commons be reduced to 300. Probably not going to be popular with Nige!

I don't know where this came from, but:
Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1h1 hour ago
Intriguing. No10 just floated possibility of extending Article 50 timeline. Presumed Brexit would happen in 2019, but PM has no fixed date.

TheBathroomSink Mon 21-Nov-16 12:47:26

Thanks, Red.

I'm hiding the end of the other thread and pretending it didn't happen!

HummusForBreakfast Mon 21-Nov-16 12:49:32

Yes we can hope that a lot of people in France will be going voting to counter LePen if she comes to the second round, just to avoid her becoming president.
If she is all, hell will break loose re the EU TBH as she totally against it.

HummusForBreakfast Mon 21-Nov-16 12:49:58

And I don't think this would be a good thing for Britain either.

merrymouse Mon 21-Nov-16 12:58:37

usually, what is the general feeling in France about Le Pen compared to what we have seen of US support for Trump? How do Fillon and Juppe compare to Clinton in terms of popularity?

In the US I think it was assumed that enough 'nose holders' would support Clinton to beat Trump. However, she wasn't sufficiently inspiring to enable people to get the vote out - it turns out that you need the nose holders to not just vote, but get their friends and neighbours to vote and that seemed to be a stretch too far. (Particularly given that voting in the US seems to be so difficult).

Also, some people looking for a charismatic voice of change voted for Obama then Trump. Does Le Pen represent change? (Trump's charisma is lost on me, but evidence suggests it exists).

Mainly, my question is, can the 70% be relied on to vote?

GingerIvy Mon 21-Nov-16 13:07:49

All we need at this point, I guess, is the Electoral College to vote in Clinton, which will cause nationwide riots in the US, for the chaos to be complete.

Add France to that, and I think I might need to build a bomb shelter to hide out in for awhile. hmm

Mistigri Mon 21-Nov-16 13:09:09

The difference in France, versus the US, is that we have a functioning press, not controlled by neo-fascists or Murdoch, where journalists are not afraid of calling Le Pen and her motley group of incompetents and Neo-nazis what they are - an extreme right wing party supported by holocaust deniers.

The level of newspaper and TV debate here is so much better than in anglophone nations. France is a very elitist society, but it is not so much money as education that defines the elite (if you look at french educational stats, the kids who do best are not the kids of rich people but the children of teachers).

Mistigri Mon 21-Nov-16 13:10:49

That's not to say I'm not worried - I'm flipping terrified! My daughter has a friend whose parents vote FN, and in our (poor) town they have done well in european elections.

Mistigri Mon 21-Nov-16 13:14:43

Also, you might have discussed this when I was away last week, but has anyone read Ian Dunt's book on brexit yet? Might have to buy it. I love him on Twitter.

PattyPenguin Mon 21-Nov-16 13:31:36

While we're talking books, the Observer yesterday had reviews of 3 books on Brexit.
www.theguardian.com/books/2016/nov/21/all-out-war-tim-shipman-the-brexit-club-owen-bennett-bad-boys-of-brexit-arron-banks-review

Inc. one by Arron Banks, but even that might be illuminating in a ghastly way.

merrymouse Mon 21-Nov-16 13:36:20

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/us/politics/hamilton-cast-mike-pence-donald-trump.html?referer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Some Republican strategists said they were not surprised that Mr. Trump chose to attack “Hamilton,” noting that the president-elect believed deeply in trying to project strength in the face of any kind of opposition.

“President-elect Trump is signaling that he will fight for his team and his policies,” said Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker and a strong Trump supporter. “Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher would have approved,” a reference to the former conservative leader in Britain who often tangled with artists and the left.

And now Trump is tweeting about SNL.

As far as I know Thatcher never commented on Spitting Image or any other political satire.

Great publicity for SNL though.

GingerIvy Mon 21-Nov-16 13:38:55

They're comparing him to Thatcher now? confused

merrymouse Mon 21-Nov-16 13:44:03

where journalists are not afraid of calling Le Pen and her motley group of incompetents and Neo-nazis what they are - an extreme right wing party supported by holocaust deniers.

Newspapers columnists in the UK and the US have certainly criticised and condemned Trump and UKIP - but probably not the newspapers that Trump and UKIP supporters read.

This thread is not accepting new messages.