Talk

Advanced search

Brexit price rises ....

(64 Posts)
LurkingHusband Thu 17-Nov-16 16:20:18

I thought a thread for people to post details of price rises that can be attributed to Brexit might be interesting.

so:

Microsoft (22%)
VMWare (15%)
HP (10%)
Lenovo (10%)
Apple (20%)

For now, I'm not adding in suppliers that have moved from charging in sterling to Euros (strangely not dollars hmm). But if that seems a trend, maybe they should be added in ?

Draylon Thu 17-Nov-16 18:42:41

Actually, I suspect many price rises won't be 'bare-faced'. They'll be sneaky and easily, and sometimes legitimately attributable to 'other' forces.

However, I see consumer spending is up was it 7% from last year same period. Hooray! Brexit hasn't slowed us.

Except that the British savings pot is being raided, but who cares? And, actually, I kinda mean that. We are in such times that the genuine experts are left scratching their heads, so no wonder us mere punters grasp onto 'unemployment down/profits higher than expected/economy growth higher than expected' yay! Brexit good. Spend up! Like we always do in times of turmoil, apparently.

Except, yes, we know we haven't actually Brexited, but maybe, just maybe, Consumer Confidence is all. Maybe that is all that matters.

Personally, I don't think so. I think we are speeding towards a cliff edge, but actually, I do believe a fair percentage of the British public don't care. We like a moan, to blame 'outside influences' (and nasty immigrants...). The 'prize' of seeing those wealthy elites take their capital and lifestyles elsewhere destroyed will be 'worth it'.

I am a Bremainer who really, really hopes I'm wrong. I just spent a w/e away with 2 women my own age, one of whom I know to be a Brexiter (tolerant, me wink), and the other I discovered to be so, and they were very upbeat about the house prices coming down once those immigrants had left, the job market opening up once they'd gone; the schools having loads more places etc. I did note the known Brexiteer's DS left uni with a masters in engineering in June and is still unemployed, but that, apparently, is because the job milk-round interviews in January for May starts. Or because several industries have suspended their graduate programmes? Like my DH's company have?

I would never, never wish ill-health on the DC of anyone who Brexited, but, a bit of a scary period of unemployment despite a master's degree due to the fuckwitted voting decision his parents made? Can live with that.

WidowWadman Thu 17-Nov-16 19:21:11

Groceries are going up, too, either through direct increases or by reducing size. Will probably really hit on the new year. Unilever was just the start

Peregrina Thu 17-Nov-16 19:30:34

As with the Toblerone increasing the spaces between the triangles. Or are we going to be told that would happen anyway.

InformalRoman Thu 17-Nov-16 19:52:51

Why would the milk round January interviews be for a May start? Or do many degrees finish by May now?

WidowWadman Thu 17-Nov-16 20:06:57

Peregrina I'm under no illusion that suppliers will try to use the weak pound to increase prices beyond merely offsetting their increased costs, however their costs have undeniably risen due to the referendum result and all that followed so far.

Peregrina Thu 17-Nov-16 20:42:44

If you are old enough to remember decimalisation, exactly the same happened. Prices shot up.

RageAgainstTheTagine Fri 18-Nov-16 07:19:14

Prices went up in every country who switched to the €. People won't forget the companies who are trying to shaft us, they will lose precious loyalty from many, many consumers.

WidowWadman Fri 18-Nov-16 07:37:59

Rage - overall prices will go up and suppliers cannot be expected to fully absorb the pound's decline. A narrative that it's only nasty profiteering that causes the prices to rise is myopic

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Fri 18-Nov-16 09:27:26

Dh and the telly said the same thing the other day

Its going to be a very good christmas thjs year for a lot of people, spending is up a lot of people feel very buoyant at the moment

But that wont happen next year, belts will be tightened

Hope they are wrong though

LurkingHusband Fri 18-Nov-16 11:35:16

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38023732

Tesco chief executive Dave Lewis has warned global suppliers not to artificially inflate their prices because of the fall in the pound.

Potentially everything sad

One wonders how that conversation will go ?

TESCO: Don't artificially inflate your prices because of the fall in the pound.

GLOBAL SUPPLIERS: Or what ?

Peregrina Fri 18-Nov-16 13:32:31

What are global suppliers supposed to do? Be charitable towards us because we chose to f*ck the economy?

zombiesarecoming Fri 18-Nov-16 13:47:33

Colman and campingaz trade prices rose 8% on 1st September and 2017 stock order prices are another 8% on top of the September price increase

Won't affect my sales much as I ordered what I needed for 2017 season mid August at the pre increase price when I found out and haven't bothered placing a 2017 order with any of my suppliers at all as I have more than enough stock to run with and thin out for next year

Hopefully things will have stabilised by the end of next year on currency and pricing if not I can easily manage 2018 as well, it just won't be the latest colour scheme on some items but as my stuff will be 20% cheaper I don't envisage a problem keeping a decent amount of sales coming in

STIDW Sat 19-Nov-16 20:56:07

UK will still be liable to pay contributions to the EU until at least December 2019 & guaranteed loans. Because these are paid in Euros & the GBP/EU has fallen there will be an even bigger hole in public finances.

Mistigri Tue 22-Nov-16 08:39:19

Read today that musical instrument prices are going up 20% or more. Many are manufactured in the US (guitars) and China (everything) - there is almost no domestic production, so prices are sensitive to exchange rates. Some guitar makers are raising prices by 40%!

HyacinthFuckit Tue 22-Nov-16 09:14:18

Come on, it can't possibly be because of the referendum. It must be Remoaners. Let's all pull together and be positive and make Britain great again!

Ahem.

zombiesarecoming Tue 22-Nov-16 09:31:28

It pretty much is all because of the referendum in so far as that is what has caused the pound to drop in value and because we manufacture very little anymore and it's all imported then because if the weak pound prices have risen hugely

The best way forward is manufacturing more ourselves rather than importing stuff but in a lot of stuff the skills, knowledge and in some cases machinery aren't around in the volumes they need to be to get things back on track

Even if they where you have to find people willing to put there money into it and get things off the ground again

Greengager Tue 22-Nov-16 10:23:05

I brought the last 3/4 guitar in the shop for DS. Thebloke who runs the place said the next batch will be the same but £20 more because of brexit.

daryldixonishot Tue 22-Nov-16 21:36:05

My tank of petrol tipped over the £50 mark today for the first time in years! Drove off the forecourt muttering brexit bastards under my breath! Makes me so mad!

Mistigri Wed 23-Nov-16 06:44:00

news.sky.com/story/collapse-in-the-pound-to-push-up-electrical-goods-prices-10667424?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Electrical/ white goods next. There is going to be an almighty pre-christmas spending spree followed by a painful new year hangover.

InformalRoman Wed 23-Nov-16 09:19:21

Justin King, ex CEO of Sainsbury's, predicting a 5% rise in food prices over the next 6 months:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38074616

shirleyknotanotherbot Wed 23-Nov-16 09:42:52

Naked Wine have increased their prices by 5% and blamed it on Brexit.

shirleyknotanotherbot Wed 23-Nov-16 09:43:23

Wines*

CorkieD Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:58

I think we seem to be in for 10-20% price increases on everything across the board. Even those who don't need to increase prices will take the opportunity to do so.

Effectively, it will be like everyone taking a10-20% cut in wages.

Felyne Wed 23-Nov-16 10:03:41

I got a piece of propaganda advertising through the letterbox from the Leave campaign promising me food would be £334 cheaper outside the EU however they cleverly didn't say over which timescale I would make that saving. £334 a year? A month? Over my lifetime? Nor did they specify if it was per person, per household, ...
But hey, why let the small details get in the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now