This is potentially a game-changer!

(555 Posts)
pensivepolly Thu 03-Nov-16 10:13:30

Breaking news from the High Court on Article 50: www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/parliament-must-trigger-brexit-high-court-rules

ChuckGravestones Thu 03-Nov-16 10:13:58

I just read it. Excellent.

pensivepolly Thu 03-Nov-16 10:16:41

Tentatively excited here.... Seems only right given Parliament's historical importance/role in government.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Nov-16 10:22:25

It's certainly going to lead to interesting times....

JayDot500 Thu 03-Nov-16 10:22:49

I could cry and dance and cry and... oh. MP's representing 'leave' constituencies are in the majority. Let's see...

I live in such a constituency, I'm writing to my MP!

GeekLove Thu 03-Nov-16 10:23:51

Oh god oh no.
No one else feel like they are in a massive class detention for something they did not do?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Nov-16 10:25:07

Hmm. The bounce in GBP exchange rates didn't last very long - guess the markets aren't convinced.

TabithaBethia Thu 03-Nov-16 10:25:14

ok this is goodish yes?

pensivepolly Thu 03-Nov-16 10:25:36

Definitely writing to my MP as well.

kirinm Thu 03-Nov-16 10:27:05

We will, hopefully, via our MPs get a say in how we Brexit rather than let the mad right-wing knobs currently in charge cause as much damage as they can.

I don't expect us to not leave.

Monkeyface26 Thu 03-Nov-16 10:29:52

The vote will also have to go through the House of Lords where there is a substantial majority, across all political parties, in favour of Remain.

YokoUhOh Thu 03-Nov-16 10:30:06

This is constitutionally correct and proper. There is no way May has a mandate to irrevocably change the constitution.

Faisal Islam is just saying that the European Court of Justice might get the final say in this grin

Hassled Thu 03-Nov-16 10:32:59

This is excellent news. I mean I know it won't change anything - MPs will and should vote as the majority of people in their constituencies voted but still - yay! If it means a soft Brexit emerges that can only be good.

ThoraGruntwhistle Thu 03-Nov-16 10:32:59

I really hope this has an impact and isn't overturned on appeal. I'm going to write to my MP but since I live in a permanently Tory constituency I'm sure he'll have his head rammed firmly up TM's backside.

Hassled Thu 03-Nov-16 10:34:19

"the European Court of Justice might get the final say in this" - now that's irony grin

pensivepolly Thu 03-Nov-16 10:35:15

Wow, Yoko! grin
Completely agree with the constitutionality of this. No matter what happens now, all the boxes will have been ticked properly.
Counting on the House of Lords....

CryingShame Thu 03-Nov-16 10:36:34

How many stages are there for the government, well either side, to appeal this? It was always going to be appealed by the losing side, whichever way the ruling went. It'll be interesting to see how the appeal goes.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 03-Nov-16 10:39:29

This should please all the people who voted Leave because of 'sovereignty' and against political elites, shouldn't it?

wooooofudge Thu 03-Nov-16 10:39:56

Back in the game - let's see how this all pans out. My guess is that the govt won't appeal the High Court decision as that would add a further delay, the possibility of having to go to the European Court of Justice, etc.

IminaPickle Thu 03-Nov-16 10:39:57

Tentative 👯🙌🏻👯
Please God let us stay.

Hassled Thu 03-Nov-16 10:40:18

I was wondering how to see the referendum result by constituency and found this interesting article - but depressingly (for Remainers) it concludes
"421 out of 574 English and Welsh constituencies probably voted to Leave. Of these, 270 English and Welsh constituencies almost definitely voted to Leave. 152 constituencies probably voted to Remain. Of these, half (76) almost definitely voted to Remain."

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Thu 03-Nov-16 10:41:15

rubs hands We can hope, right?

AgentProvocateur Thu 03-Nov-16 10:41:26

I wonder how many MPs will vote as their constituents did (as they should) and how many will have the balls to vote against their constituents, knowing that they won't get re-elected. I'm in Scotland, so I know how my MP will vote. Wish I could somehow influence others... I feel like a cloud of doom has lifted slightly with this decision. Well done to the two women who brought the court case v

wooooofudge Thu 03-Nov-16 10:41:37

Errol sadly the average Daily Mail reader will believe whatever shite spin that rag puts on this.

TheWoodlander Thu 03-Nov-16 10:42:17

Very pleased.

The govt are appealing - but it's delaying the process at least.

If we are to leave -and I would rather not- I would like far, far more parliamentary scrutiny of the process.

TM has just put a load of absolute dicks in charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now