Talk

Advanced search

Arlene Fosters Rant

(12 Posts)
TKRedLemonade Sat 29-Oct-16 19:02:37

I think she was totally out of line with her comments about the Republic. She constantly goes on about how NI is part of the U.K. not Ireland and yet seems to want the south to play nice regarding Brexit and opportunities. The Irish Gov have denied talking down the NI economy in any way but in any case why would they not try to poach business?

Brexit will have serious impacts on the Irish economy through no fault of theirs and they need to try and gain some advantage out of it.

She can't have it it both ways. Saying the only hard border that exists is in the mind of the Irish gov is a ridiculous statement and an inflammatory one.

GloriaGaynor Sun 30-Oct-16 09:07:39

This article on her painful veneration for the British government is amusing.

lalalonglegs Sun 30-Oct-16 15:49:02

Is this the rant that you're referring to: The UK joined the EU as one nation and that's how we'll leave? I found it disingenuous to the point of wilfully stupid but, of course, what is most important in Northern Ireland is that cross-party issues are handled with delicacy and diplomacy, not the sort of salivating sycophancy to Westminster that she is displaying. It truly depressed me that someone who is plenty old enough to have experienced the Troubles can behave in such an outrageously out-of-kilter manner to her countrymen.

BWatchWatcher Sun 30-Oct-16 15:50:38

She is bonkers alas.
We're doomed.

Twooter Sun 30-Oct-16 15:55:17

My biggest Brexit Shock was how low the remain vote in NI was. I thought it would've nearer 95% due to worries re flare ups of the IRA etc, when in fact it was about 56%. I was a leaver myself, but my biggest concern with voting leave was the NI situation.

RBeer Sun 30-Oct-16 17:33:31

It could never be 95%. The DUP and other unionists have an unnatural dislike of the republic and also have an unnatural belief in an old world England.

TKRedLemonade Sun 30-Oct-16 23:31:26

Lalalonglegs it was more the rant she had against the rep government going out trying to encourage businesses to move to the south when the UK leaves the EU. Obv they should be doing that it's sensible. Her reaction was childish in the extreme but so typical of her

BWatchWatcher Mon 31-Oct-16 07:45:44

You'll be glad to
Know that Arlene now believes the border can be managed 'in the cloud'. You know, because she has that great background in IT.

lalalonglegs Mon 31-Oct-16 08:45:55

Oh, I didn't see that but BWatch has summed her up pretty accurately grin.

TKRedLemonade Mon 31-Oct-16 23:03:12

BWatch, hope she remembers her "cloud login" "UKforbrexitbutIrishwhenitsuitsme"

BWatchWatcher Wed 02-Nov-16 00:20:31

Lol.
Password:
Ulst*rSaysN0

HyacinthFuckit Thu 03-Nov-16 18:46:09

It could never be 95%. The DUP and other unionists have an unnatural dislike of the republic and also have an unnatural belief in an old world England.

Indeed, and there were also a substantial minority of republicans who voted Leave because they saw it as an opportunity to make the UK less attractive. Sensible, imho, if your main priority is a united Ireland you want to destroy economic unionism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now