We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tony Blair on Today Show

(52 Posts)
Fennwalker Fri 28-Oct-16 11:40:31

Just wondering what people's views were really.

ImperialBlether Fri 28-Oct-16 11:45:37

Missed that. What was he saying?

I think he's looking for a way to come back, don't you?

TheNaze73 Fri 28-Oct-16 11:47:37

I wish he'd pipe down. He's no longer relevant to the Labour Party, the U.K. or world politics.

Fennwalker Fri 28-Oct-16 11:49:19

Talking this morning on R4 about how now that the implications of Brexit are becoming more apparent, some people may have changed their view and this means we should look at our options.

Essentially another referendum now its clearer what the consequences / benefits are.

prettybird Fri 28-Oct-16 12:00:19

I've seen people on Facebook linking to this article in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/28/tony-blair-remain-voters-to-mobilise-against-brexit?CMP=ShareiOSAppOther suggesting that we need to March and demonstrate to show our opposition to Brexit. confused

As you can imagine most quite a few of the comments pointed out how much he listened to the millions who marched against the Iraq War. hmm

ImperialBlether Fri 28-Oct-16 12:02:43

I think he's right on this issue, though.

It was interesting immediately after the referendum when Cameron left and the Tories were in complete disarray and then Corbyn was dithering about and nobody knew what they were doing, then Tony Blair popped up on television and you could just see he had realised there was a way back in for him.

ImperialBlether Fri 28-Oct-16 12:05:01

This is Blair - quoted from The Guardian. I think he's right:

“This is a decision of those who are active in politics now. My view simply is this, if you end up in situation where the political choice is between a hard Brexit Tory party and a hard-left Labour party, there are millions of people who feel politically homeless,” he said.

Fennwalker Fri 28-Oct-16 12:17:44

He said that on R4 too Imperial. I don't think he's wrong on that point.

Just wondered what the general view was on that now we know a bit more what the options are - if some people have changed their mind does this mean we shouldn't just plough ahead?

Fennwalker Fri 28-Oct-16 12:18:36

Sorry not great grammar and sentence structure there!

ImperialBlether Fri 28-Oct-16 12:21:03

There are two things about the referendum. One is it's not binding on the government. The other is that we were lied to - deliberately lied to, too, by people who have admitted that.

Lottapianos Fri 28-Oct-16 12:23:52

I agree with that quote of his Imperial. He is a ghastly man though - I wish he would just jeff off permanently.

My own view is that 'ploughing ahead' is a very good description of what 's happening - no ideas, no vision and certainly no commitment to doing what is right for the benefit of the country as a whole, just a load of gung-ho tough talk to keep the hard Tory right happy. Its disgraceful. People were told an absolute pack of lies and pathetic soundbites - 'Take Back Control' for example. The whole EU referendum issue has been a shambles from start to finish - its mortifying to imagine what other EU countries must think of us.

Fennwalker Fri 28-Oct-16 12:24:18

I should probably have a look at the comments on that Guardian article.

That does seem to be true Imperial, but the government don't seem to accept that as reasons to not go ahead. I guess it's finding out what would it take for them to change their stance, if anything?

ImperialBlether Fri 28-Oct-16 13:22:22

I don't think there are comments available there, OP - no idea why.

pennycarbonara Fri 28-Oct-16 13:29:44

Agree with him on this.

However, the views of "elder statesmen" aren't as influential as they used to be, and I sincerely doubt it'll have any effect.
When he says Remain supporters should mobilise (protest?), my reaction is, "like people did against the Iraq War, then?" Look how much that did...

prettybird Fri 28-Oct-16 13:29:51

(Just to clarify: the comments I referred to were in Facebook may also be a reflection of the groups I belong to wink)

Lottapianos Fri 28-Oct-16 14:02:40

There was an anti-Brexit march in London on 1 July anyway - I was there along with tens of thousands of other people. It started on Park Lane and went past some very posh hotels. There were loads of hotel staff - many of whom are probably EU citizens - waving and giving us thumbs up from the windows. Felt so sad for all of them

He's got a bloody nerve suggesting that people march to make their feelings heard

jaws5 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:41:01

I read the Guardian piece today and agreed with all Blair said. He's right in pointing out that the 48% and all those who are now horrified by the reality of the situation need to be represented politically. It's just a shame that it's Blair who's saying this, as he didn't listen to us marching against Iran.

jaws5 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:42:42

Iraq, obviously, (auto correct prefers Iran?)

InfiniteSheldon Sat 29-Oct-16 07:27:38

wasn't it Blair who originally promised a Referendum and wasn't he one of the idiots who wanted us to join the euro? His track record is pretty shit really I don't think listening to him is a good idea he will do more harm than good for the anti Brexit camp.

MangoMoon Sat 29-Oct-16 08:35:09

Tony Blair is a self-serving twat.
I hate him.

Wellthatsit Sat 29-Oct-16 10:01:09

But not listening to Blair because he's Blair is cutting off your nose to spite your face. What he says is correct.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 29-Oct-16 10:59:03

What he says is wrong just like the rest of his track record, self serving money grabbing elitism

tiggytape Sat 29-Oct-16 12:05:30

Actually I agree with him on the main point he's making (which isn't necessarily the same one as the headlines spun from his comments). Not that I think having Tony Blair helping the cause will be any help at all but fundamentally, I agree with his way of thinking on the ability to change the outcome.

If Brexit is stopped or watered down or reversed or revised, it won't be because Parliament or the courts say "this is rubbish idea and we forbid it"
It will be because a significant number of people come to oppose it and express that sentiment in some form of election (he envisages another referendum as a vehicle for that. Other people think it should be a General Election issue).
He wants remainers to keep stating their case so that leavers change their minds.

Whether that is a realistic goal or not - there are some catch 22 elements in that until we have left we don't know the true consequences (and they can be more easily dismissed) - is uncertain. And also there is no obvious point when a vote on this issue would be held before it was all too late anyway.

However I think he is right in that those who wish to stop Brexit entirely would need to do so by persuading people (leavers) to support halting it rather than thinking the Lords or the House of Commons or the courts could squash it 'against the will of the people but for their own damn good' and that would be an end to it.

Peregrina Sat 29-Oct-16 12:50:27

I think he is right in that those who wish to stop Brexit entirely would need to do so by persuading people (leavers) to support halting it rather than thinking the Lords or the House of Commons or the courts could squash it...

I fully agree with that, but who is listening for any changing opinion? Theresa May has decided, off her own bat due to her own prejudices but fed by the Tory right, that immigration is the issue about Brexit. Aided no doubt, by the noise being made by Farage and Co. Stuff those who voted for the NHS for example. Is this because they aren't making enough noise, or just because she's stopped her ears?

Wellthatsit Sat 29-Oct-16 12:59:15

I think both Peregrina.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now