Brexit in French ?

(11 Posts)
LurkingHusband Sat 22-Oct-16 18:49:31

All very well for T. May to insist Brexit talks are held in English.

However, in the real world, if the EU27 (just for lolz smile) insist it be held in French, what possible way forward is there.

Or rather, what possible way forward is there that would allow A50 to be detonated in March 2017 ?

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 18:53:40

Well, much as I love the idea of the EU insisting on French, I think I read that that's probably not likely. Even with Ireland (and Malta?) being the only English speaking countries left, more EU staff will speak English than French. What will happen in the future though?

larrygrylls Sat 22-Oct-16 18:54:22

In the real World, Barnier has already backed down and said everyone can use their own language.

Branleuse Sat 22-Oct-16 19:09:48

cant she speak french?

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Sat 22-Oct-16 19:19:27

It wouldn't matter - it's the EU so everyone will just speak their own language and use translators.

It's yet more posturing.

pastygothboy Sat 22-Oct-16 21:38:32

Brexit in French = la fuite en avant des rosbifs

GloriaGaynor Sat 22-Oct-16 21:42:46

I don't think he ever actually said it, it was a Reuters hack looking for a headline.

prettybird Sun 23-Oct-16 00:06:56

It's not a case of him insisting on it. It's a case of a mischief making journalist looking for a headline.

As is normal in any working environment, people within a team will speak in the most convenient language to that group. In Barnier's team, that language will be French.

The EU has always had lots of official languages. For the moment One of them is English; therefore when - and only when - there are official negotiations, there will also be official translator/interpreters.

If, however the UK negotiators can't understand French whereas the EU negotiators can understand what the UK negotiators are saying, well, hell mend 'em hmm

ForeverEyesOfBlue Sun 23-Oct-16 00:11:01

The Guardian produced a helpful guide:
www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/brexit-a-linguistic-guide-for-theresa-may
grin

Mistigri Sun 23-Oct-16 08:33:08

Merkel was very puzzled by this spat ... Since it's normal to use interpreters.

It shows, more more than anything else, how prickly May is: she responded without even checking that it was true. It makes her judgement look poor.

She was equally ill-advised in responding to Juppés remarks (about Le Touquet) the previous day. He's not president. He's not even a presidential candidate yet ...

SapphireStrange Sun 23-Oct-16 13:09:55

It shows, more more than anything else, how prickly May is: she responded without even checking that it was true. It makes her judgement look poor.

She was equally ill-advised in responding to Juppés remarks (about Le Touquet) the previous day.

Fully agree. It shows her inexperience at this level. And, maybe, her sense that everything is NOT necessarily going to just go her way just because she keeps standing up and telling herself us it is...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now