Boris Johnson Remain article

(20 Posts)
gunting Sat 15-Oct-16 22:18:51

Well well well.... looks like BJ wrote a Remain article for the telegraph two days before announcing he was campaigning for leave.

Wonder what changed his mind?

Peregrina Sat 15-Oct-16 23:09:39

I would dearly love to read that.

What changed his mind? Well, looking after Boris is first, and last and everything in between for Boris, so he thought he would just be on the losing side, but nicely positioned for a leadership bid.

I still think that Gove unwittingly gave him a 'get out of gaol free' card, when he stood himself. Boris knew the job of PM at present would be a poisoned chalice - not the time for him to take the job, so very handy to be able to back out and blame Gove.

Kaija Sat 15-Oct-16 23:16:35

Indeed. This has been known about for a while I think. The really interesting question is why has it been released now? Does anyone know the source?

jaws5 Sat 15-Oct-16 23:32:18

Yes, I read about it a while ago but who's leaked it? Boris himself? Nothing would surprise us anymore, would it?

jaws5 Sat 15-Oct-16 23:39:37

Oh yes, it's an extract from a book by Tim Shipman

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 15-Oct-16 23:45:22

It was known at the time he declared that he'd been eyeing up his main chance wavering

winkywinkola Sat 15-Oct-16 23:46:49

Is there no way we can find it?

gunting Sat 15-Oct-16 23:55:09

I read somewhere that it will be printed in the Sunday times? If so, should be online after 12 I guess.

Lico Sun 16-Oct-16 08:34:59

My conspiracy theory; may be it has to do with Murdoch? Murdoch might not be happy about Johnson supporting Hard Brexit. Perhaps we will see Johnson's wife displayed in the Sun soon?!halo

www.legalcheek.com/2016/05/boris-johnsons-barrister-wife-is-not-the-waterloo-sex-qc/

mupperoon Sun 16-Oct-16 09:03:29

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cripes-i-jolly-nearly-backed-dave-on-europe-wbcqd6b6c

"If sovereignty is the problem — and it certainly is — then maybe it is worth looking again at the prime minister’s deal, because there is a case for saying it is not quite as contemptible as all that. He is the first prime minister to get us out of ever closer union, which is potentially very important with the European Court of Justice and how it interprets EU law. He has some good stuff on competition, and repealing legislation, and on protecting Britain from further integration of the euro group."

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Valentine2 Sun 16-Oct-16 13:12:40

peregrina
You are spot on. I think it's still safe o say that he was not expecting the Leave to win and was hoping to be a martyr to that cause to keep his options open on both sides.
Is there a chance these arses could be brought to court for playing so blatantly with the future of this country? A doctor will be brought to court for this kind of negligence surely.
However, this one made me feel better. And bit more hopeful.

uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-vote-regret-leave-margin-victory-2016-10

gunting Sun 16-Oct-16 13:21:01

The poll on people who regret their vote makes me feel slightly better but mainly bloody angry

Valentine2 Sun 16-Oct-16 13:31:29

Yes gunting. I think the worst thing that this referendum gave to UK is how it highlighted how divided we are. How we have a huge racism problem. How we have to fight for increasing access to higher education for everyone even if it's for the sake of increasing their ability to understand the drama/lies that our politics is today. (I request any Leaver thinking to call me elitist etc after reading this:please don't.it has been shown on too many places now that there is a direct relationship between your vote and your education level. Please don't jump on me. After sunderland's result, I could tell on the map which area was going to vote what and I was not wrong).

specialsubject Sun 16-Oct-16 13:33:27

proof of your statement relating education to vote please. As in details of who looked at the ballot papers and compared them to names.

because a small sample opinion poll is only ever an extrapolation.

alternatively, allow me to save you some typing. Leave voters are stupid. There you go.

birdybirdywoofwoof Sun 16-Oct-16 14:12:23

He is the biggest cunt ever.

I hope this ruins him- it won't.

How wonderful to be rich like Johnson and so immune from your catastrophic decisions.

birdybirdywoofwoof Sun 16-Oct-16 14:23:56

There's been a lot of research on who voted what and why. Joseph town tree foundation is a good place to start:
There was a very strong correlation between the higher the education the less likely to vote brexit.

You can of course, and rightly argue that education is not about intelligence or lack of formal education doesn't make you thick, but to deny there was a link between education and vote is...well, let's say more post-facts bollocks.

RedToothBrush Sun 16-Oct-16 14:36:03

Its worth stressing the context of the article:
<<<<<
From Shipman's book.

Johnson knows the headlines will scream that he wrote for Remain, yet if you read the background he actually says the argument was total rubbish and he didn't believe it himself. It makes him, when the alternative is May, look good to both Remainers and Brexiteers.

Its very tactical for it to be released now.

Johnson is moving into position. May is in trouble...

Valentine2 Mon 17-Oct-16 00:30:41

specialsubject
Hasn't this been done to death already round here?the one in my memory (and somewhere in Brexit related literature folder 😣) was how the Remain voters were more likely to have higher education and qualification than Leavers. I will try and dig it up.
I have a big big circle too. In my social circle, I guessed absolutely correctly (won bets from DH) on who was going to vote for what. Ditto regarding all neighbouring councils based on my understanding of the neighbourhoods and the make up of their population. I also (correctly) predicted the referendum outcome of some areas of Home Counties. (This isn't to say that I was not baffled by the result of the rest of the country. I was still in that bubble).
It's not all about education either. Racism and rising intolerance can be fought with proper education and education mainly. That's my personal opinion. I hope I am right.

Valentine2 Mon 17-Oct-16 00:32:55

I should have written it properly.i meant to say that we need to train our population to analyse politics and economy objectively. So we don't get sold the lies.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 17-Oct-16 01:25:37

Red I think Boris has overcooked his goose. May is a Brexiter who faked Bremain whilst Boris is a Bremainer who faked Brexit. Does anyone believe anything he says? At least May had the decency to keep a low profile. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now