Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder why approx 40% of Londoners voted for Brexit?

(217 Posts)
fluffychicken Sun 07-Aug-16 15:39:21

Can any London Brexiters tell me why you voted for Brexit? I am really curious to know.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Sun 07-Aug-16 15:49:05

Or to put it another way: whyndid 60% of the Londoneers whom voted vote Remain?

Have we, like the Scots, and the NIers, got more sense than the rest of England and the Welsh?

Drowzeee Sun 07-Aug-16 15:49:42

Here we go again... this has been done to death already.

You do know that there is a section especially for EU Referendum 2016 don't you?

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 07-Aug-16 15:50:46

Why would being a Londoner mean they had different reasons from everyone else who voted for Brexit confused?

Amelie10 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:52:21

Did you miss the million threads done to death the last time?hmm

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Aug-16 15:53:54

Oh christ, I thought this crap had finally stopped.

scatterolight Sun 07-Aug-16 15:55:23

I'm a Londoner. I voted Leave because I was born in an English city and I saw it change, over the space of 20 years, to a foreign city. The same will happen to the entire country if we do not regain control of our borders. Although demographics would suggest it is already too late. Some may be looking forward to this, as is their right, I am not.

albertcampionscat Sun 07-Aug-16 15:59:55

Shorter scatterolight: They voted remain because they wanted less of my kind around. Thanks for that, eh.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:06:57

Why do you want to know OP?

TrickyD Sun 07-Aug-16 16:25:07

Brexiters in general - a classic case of the Have-nots voting to have even less.

trafalgargal Sun 07-Aug-16 16:31:51

It took you from the referendum til now to think up this question?

I'm predicting no MENSA membership in your future !

HereIAm20 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:38:23

Excuse me I live in Cambridge and 75% of us voted remain grin > Please don't lump me in with the rest of the English!

fluffychicken Sun 07-Aug-16 16:40:42

I want to know because I am curious. Not a crime. No I have not seen the other threads. I am happy to ask Mods to remove to the relevant section if it bothers people so much hmm.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:41:50

Yes, could you ask to move it to EU Referendum 2016.

crossroads3 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:44:20

Yes 40% of the turnout. I too would have expected that figure to be lower...

I'm a Londoner. I voted Leave because I was born in an English city and I saw it change, over the space of 20 years, to a foreign city. The same will happen to the entire country if we do not regain control of our borders. Although demographics would suggest it is already too late. Some may be looking forward to this, as is their right, I am not.

"Closing the borders" is not going to change how cosmopolitan London is thank god since over half of the net immigration to this country last year (for example) was from outside the EU. Added to which remaining in the single market, which will IMO be necessary for the UK's economic survival, will mean "accepting" some form of free movement....

The "demographics" you mention include commonwealth citizens who came here with a British passport as was their full right to do so, and who now find themselves targeted by the increase in racial abuse and decrease in general tolerance.

Surferjet Sun 07-Aug-16 16:45:42

Cos some of us aren't interested in interest rates & all that posh stuff, we just want to sing 'knees up mother Brown' all day & eat pie & mash.
But gawd bless ya 'm'lady for asking.

Lorelei76 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:45:44

OP I'm curious to know why you've asked about Londners in particular.

angelos02 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:47:23

Albert I'm sure that if you have a skill that the UK needs, you have nothing to worry about.

crossroads3 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:52:35

Albert I'm sure that if you have a skill that the UK needs, you have nothing to worry about.

angry

Who gives a fuck if Albert has a skill or not - if he is settled here in any capacity he should not be fearing that he will be told to leave angry.

Will this be the next step - deportation of anybody regardless of whether they have a family / life here, based on how "useful" they are deemed to be hmm??

crossroads3 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:53:01

He or she

angelos02 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:57:25

Sorry Crossroads, are you serious? Of course that is what is going to happen. If you are skilled, eg, dentist but not UK born, you can apply for a temporary visa.

Andrewofgg Sun 07-Aug-16 16:57:43

You can put money on this: that any EU national who was here on 23 June will be allowed to remain as if there had been no change.

Very probably also those who arrive between then and Article 50.

A bit less probably those who arrive after 50 and before the official parting of the ways.

crossroads3 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:01:11

No - everyone who is already here will be allowed to stay. Anything less would be a breach of human rights and make this country much lesser in all ways - especially morally.

crossroads3 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:01:48

(That was to angelos)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now